M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

11-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Auto Motor und Sport compares the M5 vs RS7 vs E63 AMG S

In this test the M5 CP comes last due to it's traction problems and the notchy gearbox(!!??)

RS7 wins and E63 second.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/v...g-7897472.html

There have been several reviews lately where the lack of AWD on the M5 has been a negative issue for the reviewers. Suspect we will see an AWD M5 in next generation...

The results of the test is here:
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/v...72.html?show=2

Google translate of the text:

Quote:
Do you remember your very first flight ? As the pilot turns on the runway , starts to move slowly at first and then gives full thrust. In the seat pressed with rumbling in the stomach and pressure on the ear - the perfect moment for dynamics lovers. But like all great moments too soon , and the time to return even forever. If you could always get this feeling.

Audi RS7 Sportback with "only" 560 hp

Well, then welcome to the dickwangigen sport seats our V8 sedans - all 300 km / h fast and built for the perfect moments. Under 560 hp (Audi RS7 Sportback ) Here , no one dares to the start, with Competition Package BMW M5 comes to 575 horsepower, while the 585 hp S - version of the Mercedes E 63 AMG already scratching at the 600 mark.

However, these dimensions play a few hp or not does not matter , already rather what you make of it . Around the sprint to highway speed , where the Audi RS7 Sportback thanks to launch control and tail-heavy laid-out four-wheel drive after 3.7 seconds beyond the ambit of the Highway Code . For 113,000 Euro Audi packs the technique of wide RS6 station wagon back in the fine body of the four-door coupe with practical tailgate and up to 1,390 liters of cargo space . Aluminum shift paddles and a lot of carbon jazz up the non- poor anyway A7 Interior to continue .

However, the era zehnzylindriger engine giants is over at Audi. Two twin-scroll supercharger for the Audi RS7 Sportback bring a comparatively slender four-liter V8 pressure and provide by their placement in the cylinder - V for short gas paths . According ansatzlos lurks the direct injection on pedal commands to set up the switching flaps in the exhaust and durchzustarten joy screaming .

But the Audi RS7 Sportback ruled that a small sound . In the eighth gear with disconnected pots 2, 3 , 5 and 8, it is to whisper V4 , is content with a moderate pace of 8.5 L/100 km. Active engine mount combat vibration caused by phase-shifted counter-vibrations .

Mercedes E 63 AMG S stands for Heavy Metal

Quiet nuances ? They come in 118 405 euros expensive Mercedes E 63 AMG S at best from Bang & Olufsen hi-fi system , the 5.5-liter V8 is available , however, on Heavy Metal. For up to 1,750 pounds of air per hour, the two turbochargers , the Vollalu engine retaliates with 800 Nm and deep big block bollern . Therefore connoisseurs call from even the Drögen column Sneak Muscle Car Sound: click easy to seventh gear at 1,500 rpm and give full throttle.

Other swank posturing is the piece Mercedes E 63 AMG S , however remote . Only connoisseurs register at four angular tailpipes or the Carboniferous - rump on the trunk lid that it is not 200 CDI with sports package to include an e . Inside, there are subtle hints like the IWC clock in the center console or the steering wheel upholstered in suede .

Who spurned Porsche 911 & Co. reasons of space , gets the Mercedes E 63 AMG S the most spacious five-seater , the balancing act between functionality and explosiveness dominated like no other . The enormous power reserves managed in the Mercedes E 63 AMG S a variable all-wheel drive , including mechanical limited-slip differential on the rear axle air suspension .

BMW M5 without all-wheel drive

Rear axle - the keyword for the BMW M5. Although the BMW x -Drive now installed all the way down in the 118d , the 112,300 -euro top athletes have to make do without the traction aid . What saves about 80 pounds of weight and is to bring M- typical driving behavior. After all, provides an active limited slip differential for added grip. Active means that the blocking effect not only builds up speed differences between right and left, but already at the moment when the driver steps on the gas and gets going the 4.4-liter V8.

And if he can what , then get started. Supported by its Valvetronic fully variable valve train for , the Biturbo marched so fast to 7.200/min that the head-up speedometer barely keep up with the count . Only four tenths missing the BMW M5 in zero hundred sprint to the four-wheel drive , also thanks to the dual clutch transmission , the jagged served transition to transition . But also means jagged rough. When parking on the mountain , the seven-speed box waking the hesitant response unsightly reminders of the SMG gearbox former M- generations. Even with the relaxed cruising succeeds no soft sanding .
Traction problems on wet roads

Pack cotton wool is in any case not for the BMW M5. With Competition Package ( 8,800 Euros ) matched again tighter and ten millimeters , makes the dull blue fiver no secret of his ambitions. Compatible with muscular wheel arches and huge air intakes he directs an ultra right and remains amazingly directionally stable in fast corners.

The ams - tailed test he takes , therefore, six km / h faster than its competitors . Sensitive responsive damper also ensure refined comfort on average to good roads. When nasty bumpy or under load but lack of reserves and he goes on the block.

Tight bends like the BMW M5 , however, just as moist slopes - situations in which the locking differential sweeps the sails and only rigid brake intervention traction control help . No wonder that after a few rounds on the rainy Grand Prix circuit at Hockenheim radiate the rear brakes more heat than the front . Then rather whistle on lap times , turn off the electronic helpers and out the rear wheel drive its natural determination : the delightfully irrational drifting, which is comparatively easy by the long wheelbase.

Mercedes E 63 AMG S agile in tight corners

Even drifts require the Mercedes E 63 AMG S , however, the whole guy. In the border region sensitive lurking on smallest load changes , be stern enjoys a lot of freedom , also because the reactions of all-wheel drive is not always foresee . Despite heavy weight on the front axle , the Mercedes crashes for surprisingly agile on tight corners , which brought him the best times in the 18- meter slalom .

In addition, the Mercedes E 63 AMG S thrilled with his new electro-mechanical steering, for their vote, the AMG developers have spent a lot of time in the recent facelift. With success: Thus, for the four-door model , despite its high seating position easily , conduct smoothly and wonderfully soulful.

Also top the seven-speed automatic , in which a clutch in oil bath replaces the torque converter. The pain of parting has its limits , because you're at the translucent sliding in the Comfort mode or in sport with 100 milliseconds short circuit interruptions :

The transmission impresses with virtually jerk- free translation adjustments. A better comfort rating thwarted only the wooden suspension response . That he did , at 14.5 L/100 km on average a sip more Super Plus approved than the competition, its buyer should , however, less disturbing than the low range of 455 kilometers .

Audi RS7 Sportback unexcited

And the Audi ? Meanwhile, adaptive dampers offer the widest spread between comfort and sport, which is why the Audi RS7 despite 21-inch wheels on patched county roads as much at home feels like on maintained racetracks. Less experienced riders will appreciate conveniences like the unexcited nature of the Audi RS7 Sportback.

With its torque vectoring differential on the rear axle that distributes power between the right and left, the five-meter strand acts amazingly agile and can be safely controlled , partly because the ceramic brakes provide warm and cold for excellent deceleration values ​​yet . The fact that the steering could use some more feedback finesse around the central position , can absorb themselves into. Who will already be angry with someone who brings a so many perfect moments .

1 Audi RS7 Sportback 510 points
The Audi RS7 Sportback accelerates bulky, can be moved lively and certainly independent of the underground and comfortable enough reserves for everyday life.

2 Mercedes E 63 AMG S 493 points
With all-wheel drive and more refined steering the brutal Mercedes E 63 AMG S pushes past the M5, but maintains the too high for an athlete limousine sitting position.

3 BMW M5 Competition 490 points
Fiery engine rear-wheel drive plus a lot of fun during drought. However, the BMW M5 gets its power barely on the road and sucks with transmission jerking.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Very interesting. I found this video by good ole' Gustav more enlightening.

I like how they say the M6 Gran Coupe is more the track car and the RS7 is more the highway bruiser. And the comparison with the old Porsches made so much sense!

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Very interesting. I found this video by good ole' Gustav more enlightening.

I like how they say the M6 Gran Coupe is more the track car and the RS7 is more the highway bruiser. And the comparison with the old Porsches made so much sense!
Yeah, I agree
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

I dont understand why everyone critisizes the rear wheel drive. The best part of the M5 is that it is REAR-WHEEL DRIVE
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano
I dont understand why everyone critisizes the rear wheel drive. The best part of the M5 is that it is REAR-WHEEL DRIVE
Exactly!! AWD is just too boring for my taste. But the numbers on paper especially from a dig look impressive. Wish there was a way to reduce weight and and have AWD on demand or for launching only
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko1414 View Post
Exactly!! AWD is just too boring for my taste. But the numbers on paper especially from a dig look impressive. Wish there was a way to reduce weight and and have AWD on demand or for launching only
Like in the Ferrari FF then
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

OMG google translate sucks ass.
It beats me why AMS didn't bring an RS6 to this comparo?
      11-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I suspect the issue with the M5 CP is that the revised MDM programming with the CP allows more slip for more manual control. However since it is difficult to control as is, you're better off with the standard programming.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I haven't seen any. But it still is so much fun to drive. Btw htg to you also.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2CS+GTS Targa+RRS SVR

it is interesting, i just got my M5 Comp Pack a few weeks ago. As the weather here in DC has gotten colder, I've found myself missing 4WD just a little. In the mornings you have to be pretty careful leaving a stoplight, i almost always get rear wheel spin and the traction control comes on.

in the wet, with all these wet leaves around...it gets a little more precarious

But once the tires are warmed up then life is coudn't be better. Unfortunately my commute is 3 miles long and they never warm up

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
Rohardi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Q50S Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
it is interesting, i just got my M5 Comp Pack a few weeks ago. As the weather here in DC has gotten colder, I've found myself missing 4WD just a little. In the mornings you have to be pretty careful leaving a stoplight, i almost always get rear wheel spin and the traction control comes on.

But once the tires are warmed up then life is coudn't be better. Unfortunately my commute is 3 miles long and they never warm up

Jeff
Are you still driving on the summer tires? Are you going o switch to winters?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2CS+GTS Targa+RRS SVR

I am. I know that's part of the reason why. But I had an X5M which has summers all year round. The 4wd does make a big difference for non-track cars. But I'm a bimmer guy...I hate my wife's mercedes, I don't think I would have as much fun in an audi, and the panamera is butt ugly.

Ha!

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 04:25 AM   #13
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

BMW M5 Competition 490 points
Fiery engine rear-wheel drive plus a lot of fun during drought. However, the BMW M5 gets its power barely on the road and sucks with transmission jerking.

is it a joke?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 05:01 AM   #14
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post

Jeff
I would not be driving mine without winter tyres now and the temps here are still above freezing, those PSS will never warm up in winter full stop, just like driving on Bricks.
      11-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
Lual
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 2014 CP / X5 G05 ‘21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftc120 View Post
Happy thanksgiving everyone. Has the M5 won any comparison tests ? I have never seen a $ 100,000.00 dollar vehicle take such a beating when less than five years ago it was the benchmark in it's class.
It won my own decision taking list or test.
That' s really enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #16
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

For fun reading

"There aren't many 550bhp cars you can treat like a Corsican hire car, but the RS7 feels virtually idiot proof. Jam the brakes mid-corner, barrel into a hairpin 50mph quicker than you meant to, whatever: the big Audi smothers all your stupidity under a great blanket of electronic cleverness and relentless grip. It's a freakishly effective machine for getting down just about any road at near-unimaginable pace, instantly transforming you into a far better driver than you truly are.

There is a trade-off. Like the RS6 - like every hot Audi - the RS7 isn't the last word in feelsome handling. In fact, it's barely in the second half of the dictionary. The steering's hazy, and trying to ascertain what's going on with the tyres is like playing the piano in oven gloves. Ride quality on the steel-spring suspension offered as part of the Dynamic Ride Control package is disturbing on a deeply psychological level: better to stick with the standard air suspension and save your cash for the optional carbon-ceramic brakes, which do a reassuringly pitiless job of hauling the RS7's near-two-tonne bulk to a halt.

However you spec it, the RS7 remains less responsive and interactive than that pesky rear-wheel-drive BMW M6 GC (which, admittedly, starts some £14,000 above the Audi) or the thunderous, similarly slidey Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG. But if you're happy to trade in drama and involvement for devastating, accessible pace and a dose of flattery, the Audi is king."

http://www.topgear.com/uk/audi/a7-sp...est/rs7-driven
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #17
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

EVO Magazine did a comparison test between the RS7 and the M6 GC.

The M6 beats the RS7 by a large margin. It's not online unfortunately, and has to much text for me to write it here. But the M6 gets praise for it's handling, steering and being a car that's fun to drive. The RS7 looses out on the usual Audi issues such as torque steer, suspension settings and not very fun to drive...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

I read auto motor und/ and sport for more than ten years and this is for sure one of their arranged tests: when a VW group car must win it even normally it's the worst
Who is interested only by 0-100 km/h numbers? Why not 100 - 200 km/h numbers?
0-200 km/h is almost the same for all the three cars, but going faster than this BMW will be on top.
No track times? What a joke
Interior quality, options available, tech?
I'm still waiting the online test from Sport Auto with M6 GC, CLS AMG, RS7 and the Panny
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #19
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

Audi must be confused since they created the RS7 to take on CLS63AMG and M6CG, isn't it? Even knowing the RS6 isn't available in North America, I still can't understand seeing/reading so many RS7 vs E63 vs M5 comparison articles.