BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

11-27-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

I3 only gets 4 star safety rating

I think this is a real concern, it would put me off buying the car. With all the hype from BMW they have failed one of the major tests for a car, getting safety absolutely correct. With so many cars getting 5 stars these days a 4 star rating is not good enough in my view

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/in...-safety-rating
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
nockenpaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Not good for publicity. But it has to be said that the only reason why it got no five-star-rating is the pedestrian protection (i3 scores 57 %, 60 % needed for five stars).

It's a bit funny, because BMW was among the first automakers which compromised their exterior design by adding those ugly horizontal gaps in the bonnets for better pedestrian protection. Probably this doesn't work with the i3, because of its different design, but there are other solutions like active bonnets.

Euro NCAP raised the standards for pedestrian protection this year, so if the i3 was tested last year, it would have got five stars. On the other hand, many cars which were rated five stars in the last years, would also score only four stars this year.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Motorcycles fail these tests all the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
cc3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockenpaul View Post
Not good for publicity. But it has to be said that the only reason why it got no five-star-rating is the pedestrian protection (i3 scores 57 %, 60 % needed for five stars).

It's a bit funny, because BMW was among the first automakers which compromised their exterior design by adding those ugly horizontal gaps in the bonnets for better pedestrian protection. Probably this doesn't work with the i3, because of its different design, but there are other solutions like active bonnets.

Euro NCAP raised the standards for pedestrian protection this year, so if the i3 was tested last year, it would have got five stars. On the other hand, many cars which were rated five stars in the last years, would also score only four stars this year.
It's more than a bit of fine tuning to quote Autocar

The new BMW city car achieved four stars on its test, with Euro NCAP commenting that in severe side impacts protection of the chest for adult occupants was "weak", and that the front seats and head restraints provided only marginal protection against whiplash in a rear-end collision.

Not a car I would want to drive. All down to lack of support between doors I guess??
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
nockenpaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz26 View Post
The new BMW city car achieved four stars on its test, with Euro NCAP commenting that in severe side impacts protection of the chest for adult occupants was "weak", and that the front seats and head restraints provided only marginal protection against whiplash in a rear-end collision.

Not a car I would want to drive.
Well, why do you drive an X3 then?

In the ratings for side impact and whiplash protection the X3 even scored a bit less than the i3:

The X3 has been rated 5 stars - in 2011. Today it would receive 4 stars, like the i3 - only because of the higher standards for pedestrian protection.

Those kind of ratings can be deceiving. If the i3 scored a bit better in pedestrian protection, it would have got 5 stars and I bet, there wouldn't be a discussion about its safety.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
cc3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockenpaul
Quote:

Not a car I would want to drive.
Well, why do you drive an X3 then?

In the ratings for side impact and whiplash protection the X3 even scored a bit less than the i3:

The X3 has been rated 5 stars - in 2011. Today it would receive 4 stars, like the i3 - only because of the higher standards for pedestrian protection.

Those kind of ratings can be deceiving. If the i3 scored a bit better in pedestrian protection, it would have got 5 stars and I bet, there wouldn't be a discussion about its safety.
Need to update my profile. Mind you X3 is 2010 design so you would expect the i3 to be a lot better especially given all the marketing spill surrounding the car. I see some journalists are saying BMW will have to correct at least the whiplash issues. Best not buy an early car then

I also always had my doubts about that lack of central pillar between the doors. I cancelled my order and pleased I have.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
cc3
Major
Rep

The more I think about this the more I am amazed they have designed a car with such poor pedestrian protection especially as pedestrians will find it difficult to hear an electric car.

Wonder if the front page will put up an article or try to ignore the report
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
LMOR
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: Space gray, M Beige F10 520d

If you look at the film, you will see that the neck is stable all the way, while in the Mazda 3 that scored at the top, the head is lifted up, so I cannot understand the measurements..

Also the deformation is significantly less than any of the other, just as BMW promised.

Btw the score is better than the current Mercedes Benz E-class, considered by many to be safe enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
LMOR
Private
Norway
Rep

And we should buy the city safety package, so we don't hit the pedestrians in the first place + other options. But the car gets no points for this. I think Tristan Honeywill pointed out the following, that captures my view: A lot of would-be electric car drivers will decide that a four-star car with the right safety assist options is better than a five-star car with none.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
cc3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMOR
And we should buy the city safety package, so we don't hit the pedestrians in the first place + other options. But the car gets no points for this. I think Tristan Honeywill pointed out the following, that captures my view: A lot of would-be electric car drivers will decide that a four-star car with the right safety assist options is better than a five-star car with none.
Fair point but a very expensive car that has average safety as standard. More money for the options you mention to help avoiding pedestrians!!

Even a basic Dacia Sandero got 4 stars and they cost only 25% of an i3 !!

If you really want an i3 you will rationalise the poor score but standing back and looking at this objectively BMW has messed up here. 2bn Euro development on class leading technology and they didn't get the 5 stars every other new model they make gets
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
LMOR
Private
Norway
Rep

This is not completely correct, BMW1, X3 and X1 have similar or lower score on whiplash and pedestrian protection. 0 at pelvis level is probably because i3 has as high impact point as a SUV. As mentioned, similar low score has MB E, even not a SUV. In Norway i3 is 25% cheaper than an BMW 1, with 170hp
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 03:38 AM   #12
cc3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMOR View Post
This is not completely correct, BMW1, X3 and X1 have similar or lower score on whiplash and pedestrian protection. 0 at pelvis level is probably because i3 has as high impact point as a SUV. As mentioned, similar low score has MB E, even not a SUV. In Norway i3 is 25% cheaper than an BMW 1, with 170hp
The 3 models you quote all receive 5 stars and have better scores overall than the i3. I notice the BMW forums and BMW aren't rushing to advertise the i3 only received 4 stars, would have been a different story if it had received 5! The engineers and bean counters will have to have a rethink here, expect it's not long before we see new seats and standard kit including the crash avoidance etc I like the car and will look at it again once they improve safety. I don't want my family driving a car which doesn't have the best safety on offer for the money being spent.

I also think for a car that is silent to have such poor protection for pedestrians is very poor engineering given the efforts being made by safety authorities to save lives
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 04:57 AM   #13
LMOR
Private
Norway
Rep

All these 3 cars would get 4 stars today.

X3: 88,83,53,71 + whip: 2.6 + ped: 19
X1: 87,86,64,71 + 2.5 + 23
1: 91,83,63,86 + 3.0 + 23
i3: 86,81,57,55 + 2,8 +21

So for pedestrians, X3 is worst, and i3 is #2 for whiplash, and the main difference is that they changed the safety assist scoring criterias.

The lack of speed limited (that I never use anyway) being standard, and seat belt warning in the back is the only thing preventing a 5 star rating. One of them would probably be enough.

For me, this is as safe as any other BMW as standard, and safer than most, with all options.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 05:09 AM   #14
cc3
Major
Rep

Quote:
All these 3 cars would get 4 stars today.

X3: 88,83,53,71 + whip: 2.6 + ped: 19
X1: 87,86,64,71 + 2.5 + 23
1: 91,83,63,86 + 3.0 + 23
i3: 86,81,57,55 + 2,8 +21

So for pedestrians, X3 is worst, and i3 is #2 for whiplash, and the main difference is that they changed the safety assist scoring criterias.

The lack of speed limited (that I never use anyway) being standard, and seat belt warning in the back is the only thing preventing a 5 star rating. One of them would probably be enough.

For me, this is as safe as any other BMW as standard, and safer than most, with all options.
So maybe BMW need to raise their game on safety. I think it's appalling the i3 a car that is silent and will be used mainly in the city offers such poor protection to pedestrians. That's just poor design.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #15
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

The most asinine concept is a car that gets rated for pedestrian safety. Does anyone understand the equation F=MA anymore?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 06:23 AM   #16
LMOR
Private
Norway
Rep

OK, this is another topic, I think. I want a short, but specious city car, with narrow turning circle. Then I think it is difficult to give the pedestrian the same nice and soft ride as my BMW 5 gives them. Thats why such an optimal city car needs to have a city safety package instead. VW T5 in the same test round got 32%. It is simply to short distance from the hit, until they hit the window area. Best in 2013 is Lexus IS 300h, with 80%, but red around the edges as i3. Max score this round was Maserati Ghibli, nice and long, with 74%, But the window area is greener on the i3, and the bumper is soft, so it is just a matter of hitting them in an optimal way :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockenpaul

Well that and the side impact pole test.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
LMOR
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Well that and the side impact pole test.
Again the result for pole impact in this small car without B-pillar is equal or better than X3, Volvo XC60, Mercedes Benz E-class and many other cars regarded as safe...
I think it is impressive :-)

Again, if they just added the speed limiter that no-one uses, i3 would got a 5 star, and we would not have had these discussions and bad press.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #19
cc3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMOR View Post
Again the result for pole impact in this small car without B-pillar is equal or better than X3, Volvo XC60, Mercedes Benz E-class and many other cars regarded as safe...
I think it is impressive :-)

Again, if they just added the speed limiter that no-one uses, i3 would got a 5 star, and we would not have had these discussions and bad press.
Oh and don't forget the seats and headrests only offer marginal protection against whiplash !!

Strange isn't it how silent BMW has gone on these results. If it had been 5 stars this forum would have had a big splash on it !! Seems like they only publish good news??

So come on BMW give us your official explanation on these results please.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 01:33 AM   #20
LMOR
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Oh and don't forget the seats and headrests only offer marginal protection against whiplash !!
I see there is no point on adding information here. The table some posts above shows that it is not a bad score, compared to other safe cars.

The official press release was out yesterday, stating it got 5 stars in the parts of the test that matters...

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__8601
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 02:11 AM   #21
cc3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I see there is no point on adding information here. The table some posts above shows that it is not a bad score, compared to other safe cars.

The official press release was out yesterday, stating it got 5 stars in the parts of the test that matters...

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__8601
That's some marketing spin??
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #22
LMOR
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
That's some marketing spin??
I agree that it is a little bit in the grey zone not to mention that the total was 4 stars, but they just state the same thing that I have tried to show, that on car safety they got 5 stars. And on pedestrian and safety systems they just ignore it, because EuroNcap is not willing to give them credit for all the safety systems, even if they are standard.
Appreciate 0