F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Oh, what a car!!
ARMA SPEED

11-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Thumbs up Oh, what a car!!

For the first time after nearly a year, I had a good play with the Pro Nav and am now au fait with all its functions, at last. It's truly wonderful and really makes the car into a wunderkind. And, the HK is awesome.
And I love the 'Classic' red lighting which bathes the Coral Red Leather into a complimentary warm red glow.

I've fallen totally in love all over again with my fabulous F30 BMW 330d M Sport sDrive. Just love the way a RWD handles so beautifully and with a really smooth ride on even the worst roads. Simply amazing and such sophisticated fun.

Last edited by F30AM; 11-25-2013 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31 MPPSK

Sounds like an ideal woman. Falling in love with her again when you want. Able to get rid of her when something better comes along.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Ok there is a lot of talk that people are saying sdrive handles better than xdrive and sdrive is the one to get.

Why?

There's nowt wrong with the handling on my xdrive at all and I'm struggling to see why everyone is saying sdrive is king? (Noted that OP has emphasized this)

In fact, after getting more familiar with my car over the last two weeks I'd say my F30 335d xdrive has far better handling than my E90 330d rear wheel drive.

(Btw, if people say that sdrive is better for getting the car sideways at roundabouts then that doesn't bother me. I do not want or need to do this. )
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

There's a group test (BMW vs Benz vs Audi Q3 RS) in Top Gear magazine this month praising the 330d touring x drive and, if I remember rightly it compliments the car's ability to act like a RWD in terms of workable tail-happiness.

Don't have it to hand sadly but you get my point hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

@dopper99:
I never said sDrive is better than xDrive. I prefer sDrive so for me it is better. For you xDrive is better. We are quits and that's all that matters.
BTW, M cars are always sDrive. Funny that.
      11-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM
For the first time after nearly a year, I had a good play with the Pro Nav and am now au fait with all its functions, at last. It's truly wonderful and really makes the car into a wunderkind. And, the HK is awesome.
And I love the 'Classic' red lighting which bathes the Coral Red Leather into a complimentary warm red glow.

I've fallen totally in love all over again with my fabulous F30 BMW 330d M Sport sDrive. Just love the way a RWD handles so beautifully and with a really smooth ride on even the worst roads. Simply amazing and such sophisticated fun.
Nice.

Out of interest, anything in particular jump out about the Pro Nav? Finally buckled and added this to my build a few weeks back so looking forward to it...

...Almost as much as I'm looking forward to upgrading from a '20d to '30d engine. It's faster right?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
@dopper99:
I never said sDrive is better than xDrive. I prefer sDrive so for me it is better. For you xDrive is better. We are quits and that's all that matters.
BTW, M cars are always sDrive. Funny that.
Yeah sorry, didnt mean to look like I was having a go with regards the sdrive/xdrive debate..

Just trying to understand why people prefer rear drive?
My car handles like its on rails around the bends with virtually no body roll - which suits me fine.

Maybe others just want that the looser back end of the sdrive (owww er..!)

Yes, and M cars DONT come with RUN FLATS EITHER!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
Chunkv6
Private
Rep
Drives: Range Rover Evoque

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Ok there is a lot of talk that people are saying sdrive handles better than xdrive and sdrive is the one to get.

Why?

There's nowt wrong with the handling on my xdrive at all and I'm struggling to see why everyone is saying sdrive is king? (Noted that OP has emphasized this)

In fact, after getting more familiar with my car over the last two weeks I'd say my F30 335d xdrive has far better handling than my E90 330d rear wheel drive.

(Btw, if people say that sdrive is better for getting the car sideways at roundabouts then that doesn't bother me. I do not want or need to do this. )
Maybe they don't like the jacked up/tractor look of the x-drive???......
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkv6 View Post
Yes, I agree with you on that. The xdrive does look higher than the sdrive. Doesn't look quite so bad with 19s though (optical illusion really though )
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
This for me is the reason I wouldn't buy an xDrive car.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
This for me is the reason I wouldn't buy an xDrive car.
You guys are so cruel. It's on stilts and will ride snow dunes well (with winter tyres). So what if it looks a bit odd? I bet xDrive drivers will be laughing when our sDrives get stuck in the mud and snow. But then again, we did not buy sDrives or xDrives for field trips or to be snow ploughs.

However, neither sDrives nor xDrives will do the slippery stuff without decent winter tyres. So, without winter tyres, they are both sh!t in the ice and snow, with sDrives being a bit more sh!t. But on dry tarmac, well, there is only one drive I'd have and that's the one I've got.

Thus, there is a place for both drive types. Horses for courses.

There, there, we've kissed and made up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
Nice.

Out of interest, anything in particular jump out about the Pro Nav? Finally buckled and added this to my build a few weeks back so looking forward to it...

...Almost as much as I'm looking forward to upgrading from a '20d to '30d engine. It's faster right?
It looks great, functions beautifully, gives a huge amount of info about the car, steers me through traffic jams, always gets me to my destination without a single mistake, reads out my emails and text messages, keeps me safe etc, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Yeah sorry, didnt mean to look like I was having a go with regards the sdrive/xdrive debate..

Just trying to understand why people prefer rear drive?
My car handles like its on rails around the bends with virtually no body roll - which suits me fine.

Maybe others just want that the looser back end of the sdrive (owww er..!)

Yes, and M cars DONT come with RUN FLATS EITHER!!!
You cheeky so and so. Are you calling my sDrive a loose woman? There is nothing loose about my cars's backside and it does corner at 7/10ths in the dry on rails.
      11-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #12
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Dry Tarmac in the UK??? Good luck with that!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 01:37 AM   #13
Bens3T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d on order for March

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
There's a group test (BMW vs Benz vs Audi Q3 RS) in Top Gear magazine this month praising the 330d touring x drive and, if I remember rightly it compliments the car's ability to act like a RWD in terms of workable tail-happiness.

Don't have it to hand sadly but you get my point hopefully.
Sorry to be cheap (spending every penny on the new car ;-) ) - anyone able to scan the article in please?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 05:34 AM   #14
browellm
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
I think I'm going to switch over to Classic.

I've tried to give the new white lighting some love, but I reckon Classic is preferable.
F31 330d Luxury | Mineral White | Cohiba Brown Individual Leather | Prof Media | Vis pack | Sun Protection Glass | Harman Kardon | Adaptive Suspension | Sports Seats | Lumbar | Folding Mirrors | Comfort Pack | Heated Seats | Coded: EBT
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #15
doomsday runner
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Comp & 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by browellm View Post

I've tried to give the new white lighting some love, but I reckon Classic is preferable.
Can the lighting colour be changed? I have a 61 plate 330d Coupe M Sport + and its only got the red lighting.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 06:18 AM   #16
browellm
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday runner View Post
Can the lighting colour be changed? I have a 61 plate 330d Coupe M Sport + and its only got the red lighting.
It can in mine, I'm not sure if it's optional or standard.

Comfort pack (which includes extended lighting), maybe?
F31 330d Luxury | Mineral White | Cohiba Brown Individual Leather | Prof Media | Vis pack | Sun Protection Glass | Harman Kardon | Adaptive Suspension | Sports Seats | Lumbar | Folding Mirrors | Comfort Pack | Heated Seats | Coded: EBT
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 06:18 AM   #17
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

Just to chime in on the x/s drive debate...
Up till 7/10ths I would say the xdrive is not even noticeably different from the sdrive. Above that, the effects are only relative to what you want to acheive. If you want to hang your arse out round the roundabouts, sdrive will be sorely missed. If you want to grip and fire off into the distance, regardless of weather, xdrive will fulfill. For me, both parts are applicable depending on circumstances, pro's and cons :-/

That said, great to hear you are loving your car, I too am loving mine
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #18
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday runner View Post
For an F30 330d M Sport with Pro Nav:
Go into 'menu', click on 'lights', you should have two options: 'Classic' and 'Sport'. Make a choice.
The 'Sport' lighting is pants. 'Classic' is the one to have.
      11-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #19
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon

Quote:

I've got switchable from white to classic, but I can't see much difference at all, i.e. hardly any light? Perhaps this is because it's linked to the dimmer and I have the dimmer on very low (don't like dash to be bright)???
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #20
browellm
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscreemer View Post
I've got switchable from white to classic, but I can't see much difference at all, i.e. hardly any light? Perhaps this is because it's linked to the dimmer and I have the dimmer on very low (don't like dash to be bright)???
There are two controls for it. I find that if I max it out in iDrive then with the dimmer on medium it's just about acceptable. But I agree with you, I'd like to have it a little brighter without being tied to the dash dimmer.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #21
doomsday runner
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Comp & 335d M Sport

Quote:
For an F30 330d M Sport with Pro Nav:
Go into 'menu', click on 'lights', you should have two options: 'Classic' and 'Sport'. Make a choice.
The 'Sport' lighting is pants. 'Classic' is the one to have.
Guessing its just my E91 that has just the one setting, oh well ill check it when I get my 335d
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #22
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon

Quote:
There are two controls for it. I find that if I max it out in iDrive then with the dimmer on medium it's just about acceptable. But I agree with you, I'd like to have it a little brighter without being tied to the dash dimmer.
Ah, ok, i'll check the iDrive to see if I can crank it up. Cheers. Had a nice glow in my Audi, lighting up around the gear lever, but in the BMW I can barely see it with my hand up near the light!
Appreciate 0