E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Headlight help

11-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
3allday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi

Headlight help

Hello i have a 08 white 4door 328xi and i got a turnsignal malfuncton so i jsut bought these http://www.carid.com/2008-bmw-3-seri...ts-263923.html i put hids in them and they suck the rings are so dim and the driving visibility at night sucks i have the oem headligths the car came with but the right turnsignal is malfunctioning so any suggestions would help please
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3allday View Post
Hello i have a 08 white 4door 328xi and i got a turnsignal malfuncton so i jsut bought these http://www.carid.com/2008-bmw-3-seri...ts-263923.html i put hids in them and they suck the rings are so dim and the driving visibility at night sucks i have the oem headligths the car came with but the right turnsignal is malfunctioning so any suggestions would help please
Can you post a picture of your factory/OEM headlights? I assume you have halogen lights that should look like the ones in this post

Assuming there is no physical damage to the headlights, you could just replace the turn signals!

Honestly, those aftermarket housings (mostly the projectors) suck a lot. They're cheap, not built for width, and not designed for HID bulbs. The result? Too much foreground light (reduces your long-distance vision b/c your eyes adjust to the brightness right in front of you), a poor cutoff, and a narrow beam pattern. AKA nothing you want on a vehicle.

You can upgrade the projectors to nicer ones yourself, or you can pay someone to do it. If this is something you're interested in, I will provide more information in another post.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
3allday
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
Can you post a picture of your factory/OEM headlights? I assume you have halogen lights that should look like the ones in this post

Assuming there is no physical damage to the headlights, you could just replace the turn signals!

Honestly, those aftermarket housings (mostly the projectors) suck a lot. They're cheap, not built for width, and not designed for HID bulbs. The result? Too much foreground light (reduces your long-distance vision b/c your eyes adjust to the brightness right in front of you), a poor cutoff, and a narrow beam pattern. AKA nothing you want on a vehicle.

You can upgrade the projectors to nicer ones yourself, or you can pay someone to do it. If this is something you're interested in, I will provide more information in another post.

How would I fix my turnsignals and how would I upgrade the rings
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
3allday
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/irb3wsvsv7arzft/ur_c5AVN8N
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:

^Like he said, if it's just a bulb out error? If so just replace the bulb.

As for rings, your best bet is to get a OEM set of xenons or LCI halogens. After that you can swap the AE bulbs for led bulbs like LUX or you can swap the AEs themselves for umnitzas.

However, since you bought those knockoffs, you can still put them to use, if you so choose and upgrade them. Again like rollinstone157 mentioned.

If you decide to replace the AEs, I recommend getting them done at Lightwerkz in Oakland, NJ. While there, you can choose to do a custom paint scheme, swap in clear lens and CBI bulbs (if you bought the xenons), or retrofit projectors (if you bought the LCI halogens).

Here's how mine came out link

Last edited by kisho; 11-25-2013 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
3allday
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisho View Post
^Like he said, if it's just a bulb out error? If so just replace the bulb.

As for rings, your best bet is to get a OEM set of xenons or LCI halogens. After that you can swap the AE bulbs for led bulbs like LUX or you can swap the AEs themselves for umnitzas.

However, since you bought those knockoffs, you can still put them to use, if you so choose and upgrade them. Again like rollinstone157 mentioned.

If you decide to replace the AEs, I recommend getting them done at Lightwerkz in Oakland, NJ. While there, you can choose to do a custom paint scheme, swap in clear lens and CBI bulbs (if you bought the xenons), or retrofit projectors (if you bought the LCI halogens).

Here's how mine came out link
im probably going to put my old headlights in any more info on swaping out the rings or if i do bux lux is it easy?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3allday View Post
im probably going to put my old headlights in any more info on swaping out the rings or if i do bux lux is it easy?
Rings need time and patience. You'll need to open up the headlights, route wires, mount the rings, etc.

LUX are just led bulbs that you swap the AE bulbs with. This will be really easy, since the lights aren't even in your car.

BTW, your old lights DO NOT HAVE AEs. Halogen pre-lci models, 06-08, do not come with AEs. Only Xenons and LCI halogens have AEs.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
McAuley7
@McAuley7
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [9.00]
Maybe bulb holder ?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
3allday
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisho View Post
Rings need time and patience. You'll need to open up the headlights, route wires, mount the rings, etc.

LUX are just led bulbs that you swap the AE bulbs with. This will be really easy, since the lights aren't even in your car.

BTW, your old lights DO NOT HAVE AEs. Halogen pre-lci models, 06-08, do not come with AEs. Only Xenons and LCI halogens have AEs.
therefor it would be a big pain to make them look nice
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
3allday
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAuley7 View Post
Maybe bulb holder ?
is there any possibilities that i cannot fix it?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
McAuley7
@McAuley7
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [9.00]
idk about the front ones but i kno the tail light holder causes this swap them from good side, throwing stuff out there
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
3allday
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAuley7 View Post
idk about the front ones but i kno the tail light holder causes this swap them from good side, throwing stuff out there
Thanks ill give it a try
Appreciate 0