F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Pcp length
ARMA SPEED

11-24-2013, 04:35 AM   #1
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Pcp length

Hi guys

I am going to go for pcp 8k miles per year. Putting in a low ish deposit of 6k I understand this should be low as possible as you miss out on the opportunity cost of using that money.

I am going to go for the 335d x drive 8k miles and I think given thefact I will be doing low milage (prob 6k miles a year) and it's such a good spec I am thinking should I do 4 years? It will need an mot etc and the gfv drops a bit.

Or perhaps 3 years and I will have more options? Or does it matter is there a golden rule on pcp lenght.

3.9% is pretty good as well.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 04:40 AM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

If you only do 6k miles a year....IMO.....you are buying the WRONG car. Go for the 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 04:41 AM   #3
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
Hi guys

I am going to go for pcp 8k miles per year. Putting in a low ish deposit of 6k I understand this should be low as possible as you miss out on the opportunity cost of using that money.

I am going to go for the 335d x drive 8k miles and I think given thefact I will be doing low milage (prob 6k miles a year) and it's such a good spec I am thinking should I do 4 years? It will need an mot etc and the gfv drops a bit.

Or perhaps 3 years and I will have more options? Or does it matter is there a golden rule on pcp lenght.

Cheers
I would go 3 years max to be honest. 4 years is ok, but if your circumstances change and you need to get out of it then you may be in negative equity as your not paying so much off as quick on a 4 years deal... Just something to bear in mind.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 04:43 AM   #4
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
If you only do 6k miles a year....IMO.....you are buying the WRONG car. Go for the 335i
Hehe that's a fair point. I had a e92 335i and that was amazing but I fancy a punt on the Denzil as it has more torque and bhp now. Probably holds value more given the amazing mpg etc. I probably will take her for drives in Europe too.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

I went for 4 years, my reasoning was if/when the interest rates go up in a couple of years I've still got a couple left at the lower rate. If they don't, I can push for a deal to end early if I fancy a change.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 04:56 AM   #6
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
I would go 3 years max to be honest. 4 years is ok, but if your circumstances change and you need to get out of it then you may be in negative equity as your not paying so much off as quick on a 4 years deal... Just something to bear in mind.
Thanks good point. Thinking to think ahead in terms of what I want after but I imagine it would be an LCI model etc but who can predict the future. I think 3 years gives me more options.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 04:56 AM   #7
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

What you worried about it holding its value for if its PCP? The manufacturers take the risk not you? Personally I'd be going 3yrs and the 335i as suggested above.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #8
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
You do know you can VT (voluntary termination) the minute you have paid more than half the total amount. Which means in your neg eq scenario, you can hand back the car knowing you would have gotten a worse deal part-x'ing
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #9
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dJa View Post
I went for 4 years, my reasoning was if/when the interest rates go up in a couple of years I've still got a couple left at the lower rate. If they don't, I can push for a deal to end early if I fancy a change.
That's also a good point. Where the monthlies any different for you between 3 and 4 years mate?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 05:01 AM   #10
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
That's also a good point. Where the monthlies any different for you between 3 and 4 years mate?
Can't remember exactly but they reduced by something like £30 on the 4 year if I remember correctly, I did burn my brain out with the finance calculator though, I tried every possible variable while deciding :-/
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 05:04 AM   #11
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hehe that's a fair point. I had a e92 335i and that was amazing but I fancy a punt on the Denzil as it has more torque and bhp now. Probably holds value more given the amazing mpg etc. I probably will take her for drives in Europe too.

Cheers
Well OK, but remember engine torque is an absolutely meaningless figure, and although on (BMW) paper, the 313hp of the 335d wins over the 306hp of the 335i, the 335i is actually under rated by about 10-15 hp, the 335d isn't. Also you can PPK the 335i, and just for those twin exhausts alone makes it the dogs

Genuinely, unless a company car (where lower CO2 is the goal), or you do high mileage, the 335i is the sweeter car.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #12
Finnie
Might be selling the 335d touring
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Disco 4, F31 335d msport+

I went for the 4 year PCP with the dealer and I fully aware of the fact that I will be back just after 2 years. At that point it will be treated in a similar way to a trade in. Amount owed vs current market value. The mileage you put on the PCP is relatively irrelevant if you do not plan to do the full term however you do have to consider that the more you reduce the payments the less you will be actually paying off. As is mentioned above regarding changing to three year deal.

For me personally I have been paying 500 a month for used cars, now I can have a brand new car with three year warranty for the same (hold on lets call it same ish!) monthly payment. Add in the fact it got near M car performance with great ecxonomy and all the toys I have ever dreamed of and it's a no brainer.

I was also close to going for the 335i but two things put me off

The deal from the dealer was nowhere near as good

and

Having had an E92 335i, I know that the car cannot cope with all that power/torque on a non LSD transmission in wet conditions
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 05:24 AM   #13
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnie View Post
I went for the 4 year PCP with the dealer and I fully aware of the fact that I will be back just after 2 years. At that point it will be treated in a similar way to a trade in. Amount owed vs current market value. The mileage you put on the PCP is relatively irrelevant if you do not plan to do the full term however you do have to consider that the more you reduce the payments the less you will be actually paying off. As is mentioned above regarding changing to three year deal.

For me personally I have been paying 500 a month for used cars, now I can have a brand new car with three year warranty for the same (hold on lets call it same ish!) monthly payment. Add in the fact it got near M car performance with great ecxonomy and all the toys I have ever dreamed of and it's a no brainer.

I was also close to going for the 335i but two things put me off

The deal from the dealer was nowhere near as good

and

Having had an E92 335i, I know that the car cannot cope with all that power/torque on a non LSD transmission in wet conditions
Good points, but one thing I would correct you on. The F30 is leagues ahead of the E9x chassis/DSC, so is well more capable than you would imagine.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #14
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Hi guys

Cheers
I'm in a failry similar sort of position. A lowish amount of mileage but a thirst for power. I tried the 320d but just under a year later I was back for more. Now with a 335d hopefully being delivered in the next 4 weeks I'm hoping that will satisfy my power needs for now

When looking at the deals, the 335d was a complete no brainer. I know that the 335i would and should have been the car for me but the deals weren't anywhere near as good as I got. The Active Hybrid was even contemplated and there was a massive dealer contribution of £10k being offered but even with that the deal couldn't match the 335d deal.

In the end, it was a straight forward choice. I've gone for a £2.5k deposit and the PCP over 4 years. The monthly payments were just under £60 per month more if I went for 3 years, not much perhaps in the grand scheme of things but if it keeps me in the car for a bit longer that works for me. Mrs B has been understanding this time but I may not get away with it again, especially with the lure of an M3 on the horizon

Chances are I won't get much further than 2 years in this car but who knows. The low rates now and the great deals to be had can't last forever but the expected performance of the 335d may just keep me happy for a bit longer than that
      11-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #15
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

FWIW, I chose a 4yr deal (again) with 4k deposit. I did a VT on my last car at just under 3yrs and handed it back.
I will no doubt hand my 335 back or swap it early too.
These things are worth thinking about to a degree but don't forget you will always lose out somehow. Either upfront or at the end...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #16
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
FWIW, I chose a 4yr deal (again) with 4k deposit. I did a VT on my last car at just under 3yrs and handed it back.
I will no doubt hand my 335 back or swap it early too.
These things are worth thinking about to a degree but don't forget you will always lose out somehow. Either upfront or at the end...
True......let's be honest......if we were sensible with money, we would never buy a new car. A 330d/335d, etc is going to cost in the region of £6.5k - £7k depreciation and finance a year over 4 years. Average age of vehicle is 2 years old.

If you bought an 18 month old car, kept it for 1 year and sold it on, if done wisely could cost less than £2.5k. Big difference for the same average age car.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #17
Finnie
Might be selling the 335d touring
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Disco 4, F31 335d msport+

A lot can be lost on a used car too.

i.e. Bought a bargain 2.5 year old 335i coupe with all the toys for 27k. All he dealer cars were going for 34+ and had much much more miles. Kept that car 18 months or so and then sold it for....19K Had it for sale at 22 for weeks without any reasonable interest.

Its the same with every car, you buy at the right price but the moment you decide to sell it, the values plummet and nobody is interested in buying.

Maybe I am just a poor salesman.

M5 lost 9k in a year
M3 lost 8k in 16 months though bought and sold with trade
996 turbo lost 8k in a year.

All used cars

335d 50k car will lose 7800 per year on average if I keep it the full term. Brand new with every toy I wish and less annual cost than all the cars above
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #18
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnie View Post
A lot can be lost on a used car too.

i.e. Bought a bargain 2.5 year old 335i coupe with all the toys for 27k. All he dealer cars were going for 34+ and had much much more miles. Kept that car 18 months or so and then sold it for....19K Had it for sale at 22 for weeks without any reasonable interest.

Its the same with every car, you buy at the right price but the moment you decide to sell it, the values plummet and nobody is interested in buying.

Maybe I am just a poor salesman.

M5 lost 9k in a year
M3 lost 8k in 16 months though bought and sold with trade
996 turbo lost 8k in a year.

All used cars

335d 50k car will lose 7800 per year on average if I keep it the full term. Brand new with every toy I wish and less annual cost than all the cars above
Things like the car market crash in 2009/2010 would have hurt anyone not in a lease, but that is an exception, so yes there are factors that can cause you to lose.

In your list above, you are comparing some hot cars with a run of the mill 3 series. Would you not expect a bigger hit? The M3 cost £6k per year average, much better than £7.8k and for a superior car.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #19
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You do know you can VT (voluntary termination) the minute you have paid more than half the total amount. Which means in your neg eq scenario, you can hand back the car knowing you would have gotten a worse deal part-x'ing
Sorry its Sunday and my brain is hurting - could you explain VT a bit more please mate?

I might go for 4 years but I note the GFV drops like a stone between years 3-4 and might not be worth it but this VT sounds interesting. Do you forfeit any equity you have etc?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #20
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
If you bought an 18 month old car, kept it for 1 year and sold it on, if done wisely could cost less than £2.5k. Big difference for the same average age car.
Hmmm... Let's never speak of this again
      11-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #21
MRPoisson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D M Sport+

As pointed out I wouldn't choose a diesel unless your doing 12k miles+ PA as a general rule of thumb. The petrol equivalent should work out cheaper IMO

Gone F30 320D 8AT M Sport Mineral grey
Gone E92 320D M Sport Sparkling Graphite
Gone E46 320D M Sport Silver Grey
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #22
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I've gone for 4 years and 100k miles... for me the only way to justify a new car with all the extras we wanted is to commit to ourselves that we will keep this car for as long as possible. I had an E46 330d tourer and sold it with 157k miles on it. I spent some money on it to keep it driving as intended (suspension, bushes etc), but otherwise it was still going strong- only sold it as had to get a company car. As we're doing around 20-25k miles per year, we're thinking 6 years and 150k miles! On that mileage and the 10k worth of extras on a 335d, the only way to keep the monthlies reasonable is 4 years. On the plus side, in 4 years time our final payment is pretty small!
Appreciate 0