F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Rear Wiper Blade
ARMA SPEED

11-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Postcab
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jag XE

Angry Rear Wiper Blade

Crazy thing happened this afternoon.

I was washing my F31 and the sponge caught the end of the raised rear wiper blade which then pinged 3ft off the arm into a bush. I managed to retrieve the wiper blade but there's obviously another piece missing as it won't attach back onto the arm (the missing piece seems to form the end of the arm). I spent about 30 mins looking for the missing piece getting increasingly frustrated ...

As it was then getting dark I called it a day. I'll have to wrap something around the arm now just in case the switch gets knocked and the arm scratches its way across the rear screen.

Be warned..

PC
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Even more crazy is using a sponge to clean your car!

Any dirt or grit trapped under a sponge and you'll drag it all over the place causing a lot of scratched and swirl marks. Much better to use a lambswool mitt or something similar.

Good luck finding the piece though. Perhaps look to see if the rear wiper has it's own fuse and maybe remove it till you can sort it, so no accidental switch ons?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postcab View Post
Crazy thing happened this afternoon.

I was washing my F31 and the sponge caught the end of the raised rear wiper blade which then pinged 3ft off the arm into a bush. I managed to retrieve the wiper blade but there's obviously another piece missing as it won't attach back onto the arm (the missing piece seems to form the end of the arm). I spent about 30 mins looking for the missing piece getting increasingly frustrated ...

As it was then getting dark I called it a day. I'll have to wrap something around the arm now just in case the switch gets knocked and the arm scratches its way across the rear screen.

Be warned..

PC
I thought this was just me. When I had the F31 loan car over last Christmas and New Year this happened every time I washed it! It would go back on but didn't seem too secure. I seem to recall a plastic clip on the end of the wiper arm with a U shaped recess and a little bar on the wiper blade that clipped into it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
Postcab
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jag XE

I do think its a design flaw that the blade comes off the arm so easily... Still can't find the missing piece this morning, so will have to try the stealers some time this week. Wouldn't like to guess how much that small piece of plastic is going to cost!

Tengocity - I was only quickly cleaning the windows and alloys - the wheels were extremely dirty. The body work will need to wait another week when I've got more time (and hopefully its slightly warmer).

PC
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

If it is missing the bit of plastic will be part of the wiper and not the wiper arm. In which case it may be cheaper to go to Halfords.
Appreciate 0