E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Anyone bought an Xbox One today?

11-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
Telly Addict
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels!

Talking Anyone bought an Xbox One today?

I've had mine pre-ordered since the summer and we've got the day off work (unrelated reason) and it arrived today while I was tidying the house for my kid's 7th birthday party later (she's having a half-dozen of her friends round).

Anyhoo, it's still in the box and I'm about to go do the unwrapping ceremony and plug it in. I've got the day 1 Forza 5 pack, so I'll have to download that (god knows how long that is going to take!), but I also bought a FIFA 14 download code off someone on Fleabay for £30 so that's just about all the avenues covered!

Anyone else waiting on theirs or just got it?

My XBL tag is Kamykasie is anyone wants to add me. Maybe we could get a E90post UK racing club going

Once all the downloading's done I should be ready to play at about midnight tonight!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Telly Addict
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly Addict View Post
Once all the downloading's done I should be ready to play at about midnight tonight!
That was really optimistic...half gig update as soon as I plugged it in, then 8 gig download for FIFA14 and 31 gig for Forza5! It'll be midnight tomorrow at this rate...damn I wish we could get BT Infinity here...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d XD M Sport

Don't know why but this made me crack up !
      11-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Good luck, remember this is a Microsoft product.

Loads of guys on the forum have had issues, had to do a hard reset and then download it all again.

My 360 got played for 2 weeks and then sat in the shed, with all my retro machines.
The constant updates just weren't worth it for me, as I don't play all the time it drove me mad, I would get a spare hour and would spend most of it with the thing updating!!

Sure you will love it mate. but the first console since the Super Famicon I have decided to not bother with.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly Addict View Post
That was really optimistic...half gig update as soon as I plugged it in, then 8 gig download for FIFA14 and 31 gig for Forza5! It'll be midnight tomorrow at this rate...damn I wish we could get BT Infinity here...
so 40 GB update when you plug it in??.. would of think it will be upto date....

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
mir-ali604
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

"XBOX ON" btw what kind of download speeds you got going on there?
my updates took about 20 mins total and download took 45 mins :S
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 03:50 AM   #7
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

I'm glad I didn't bother, not interested in FIFA or Forza.

I'm not surprised about the updates. The Xbox Ones could've been sat in a warehouse for a couple of months so there would be patches in that time.

I can't think of anything more disappointing than having to sit around on launch day waiting for installations of games. Things like that should maybe have been done before release.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 04:40 AM   #8
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

Think i'll go ps4 in 2 or 3 years time

Seems a better machine and its cheaper

I chose the 360 last time but i think sony will come out on top this time round
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 05:05 AM   #9
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Sony have sold more PS4 in North America than Microsoft have sold Xbone's worldwide.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
safety_james
Safety Car Driver
Rep
Drives: E92 330D & E92 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 330D  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [5.50]
I was toying with the Xbox One, but purely because my internet where I live (in a barn in norfolk) is neolithic, so Ive been advised it won't be worth it so I may just get a PS4 being a current PS3 owner.

Id like decent broadband let alone infinity
      11-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
Scoot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 992 C2s Crayon / Golf R 7.5

I'm actually rather impressed. Was going to buy Fonza today but at £55 new from game I'll wait for a used copy. Tbh we are all a little bit old time time gamers on here and a little bit cynical. I should add that tonight I'm extremely drunk. Anyone a member of naked wines ...... 3 rd bottle ....
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
Telly Addict
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Well we spent yesterday and today at relatives for the wee yin's family birthday bash, so only really got to have a go tonight.

Very impressed. The controller's really quite good. Surprisingly so in fact; it has little haptic feedback motors in the triggers so you can 'feel' wheel spin or locking. Not as good as a decent steering wheel to be sure, but a good compromise. Will dust off the FF wheel tomorrow.

My download speed's about 2.5 meg so it would have finished about yesterday afternoon I reckon.

I have read the reports about some having problems installing the update, but not many actual dead machines, unlike the PS4 launch in USA - lots of reports of dead boxes...

I've got both the PS3 and the xb360 and I'd have to say, in my experience, the 360 is the better games machine. The PS3 used to be really good for playing avi's and mpeg downloads, but when Sony updated the firmware sometime a couple of years ago, all that stopped. Oh and the Sony updates were very frequent - a real pain, always with the danger of a bricked machine if the power went off while updating the firmware.

Anyway, initial downloads aside, it's been pain free. I'm too old to get too excited if I can't get to play it right away, but I can understand how others would be frustrated.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #13
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Sony have sold more PS4 in North America than Microsoft have sold Xbone's worldwide.
Seeing that the ps4 was released a week before the xbox and the xbox was launched last Thursday you would expect that.

Xbox live has 38 million users, that alone will help drive sales. I think they are both great units, guess its down to which one you prefer.

Personally i like the idea of being able to plum everything into it and it becoming the one box you use. Skype on the big tv while playing a game or watching the tv is pretty cool.

I haven't bought either yet, will wait to the new year
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:21 AM   #14
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
Scary money they are asking for the console. Not only that but in game upgrades seem to be a real killer cost, plus the Live subscription. My kids are bankrupting me!

I think we'll wait until the launch hype has subsided and maybe the cost will come down.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:29 AM   #15
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I paid £129 for a 2600 VCS back in the day and then bought space invaders and adventure at £29 and £35.

CBS Colecovision was £149 and Sega's Turbo was £79!

You could buy a house for that sort of money back then!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:30 AM   #16
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
Seeing that the ps4 was released a week before the xbox and the xbox was launched last Thursday you would expect that.

Xbox live has 38 million users, that alone will help drive sales. I think they are both great units, guess its down to which one you prefer.

Personally i like the idea of being able to plum everything into it and it becoming the one box you use. Skype on the big tv while playing a game or watching the tv is pretty cool.

I haven't bought either yet, will wait to the new year
I think the PS4 will trounce the Xbone this time round, absolutely trounce it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:44 AM   #17
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

I'm pretty dissapointed with both of the so called 'next gen' launch lineups.

The Xbone sounds quite compromised to me. I have a decent AV setup and I have no interest in using my xbox as the 'hub' of my media centre because frankly, I suspect it will process sound and video either worse or at best 'the same' as my AV amp, but as it only has 1 HDMI in, it's exactly 1/6 as useful as it needs to be. I don't care about Kinect at all and the fact that 1/4 of the system resources are being used by the OS to run all that useless junk is bad news when you consider that the PS4 is already proving that it has a big performance edge. The Xbone launch games are poor at best - some might say abysmal. Forza looks amazing, but it is also arguably the worst Forza to date, which is very bad news. Ryse is utter shite. Dead Rising 3 - well some people like it but I think it's wank.

Now for the PS4. Well it's cheaper, and more powerful, and it doesn't have a load of useless physical and software tat associated with it that I don't give a fudge about. Considering the way the xbox one is strung out, I suspect it will also be more reliable as well. But as for the games. Jesus CHRIST the PS4 has probably got the worst line up of generic, grey shooters that I have ever seen - what a load of cack.

And that sums up my short-medium term opinion of these two consoles. A load of marketing bollocks and massive budgets colliding together with nothing but dissapointment being left in the fallout.

Do you want my advice about a next gen console? £200 got me a Wii U with the Mario/Luigi games last week. In 4 days time Mario 3D land comes out and it is looking ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE. Wind Waker is amazing, ZombiU is one of the most refreshing and interesting multiplayer titles I've experienced in years. Wonderful 101, Pikmin, all pure joy.

Best game of this decade as voted for by Eurogamer readers? Mario Galaxy.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #18
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Totally agree with you Matt.

I popped the new Zelda on last night, Link Between Worlds, this coming out same say as XBox One stopped me buying an Xbox and....

Wow!!!

This game is something else.
I was really not sure if I was going to like this, well I knew I would like it but LTTP is my favourite game of all time so was worried it might have been a case of the excitement of getting this was better than the game itself, but....it is just perfection!

Being able to move around the map so quickly even changes the only thing I haven't liked about Zelda games previously, having to go and find someone or something to progress is now exciting rather than a chore that just slows down your progress.

The first game I have played in 3D mode as well, genuinely adds something, even Mario 3D I only turned it on when it was needed, but this just gives it some depth without overdoing it.

The music I was not sure about at first with the brass band playing, but they soon went and the score is simply sublime.

I have not grinned so much when playing a game for years.

First game I have had in years that has kept me up till 3am too, popped it on last night to have a quick look and before I knew it it was 3am, and the first games since Ocarina on the N64 where I am itching to get home from work to play it.

I won't score it yet, as it may get too hard, be too easy, or even get boring, but right now it is not only my game of the year but right up there as my favourite game of all time.

Next Friday as you say is Mario 3D on wiiU, that has stopped me ordering a PS4.
I still have Pikmin and Zombie U to play and I am half way through WindWaker.
Then we have Mario Kart and Donkey Kong after Christmas.

I am sick of the same old, same old on the other consoles. Going back to Nintendo has got me back into gaming. I thought I had grown out of games, but in reality I just found most of them so fuckin' boring. I want to smile when I play a game, and that is what Nintendo makes me do.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good arcade racer, and I have my fightsticks for SF4, Marvel Vs Capcom and the SNK fighters, and give me a decent shooter like Pulstar and I am in heaven, but the good old days of 30 mins of arcade action are long gone, it is now sink weeks of your life into something that is trying to be realistic, I live in the real world, I want to loose myself in a fun land when I play games!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 05:30 AM   #19
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Yep, Link Between Worlds is definitely pure Nintendo magic! From what you said about difficulty it sounds like you might still have some of the best bits to come, as I understand what makes this one so truly outstanding is actually the dungeons - apparently some of the best in any Zelda game.

Also, the Wii U version of the NEXT Zelda looks quite astonishing. How anyone can claim that Wii U is not next gen is kidding themselves when games like Mario 3D, Zelda, Pikmin an W101 look so amazing - the Xbone is proof that if you don't optmise the OS and hardware right, you will end up with substandard games.... The Wii U proves that 2GB of RAM is more than enough if your coders are masters of their art.

In all honesty the Wii U's ascension will be short lived - there is not a shadow of doubt in my mind that today it is the best next gen console, but it won't survive beyond another year or two. I'd still be willing to bet that in 5 years time when we are rounding up what was great about the PS4/XBone and Wii U era, that all of the great Nintendo games are placing higher than your average CoD/Generic-o-shooter.

I mean comeon, WiiU is £200 with 2 games if you happen to hit one of the play.com/Shopto specials.... Even if it's your 2nd console (as it will be for me once I have a reason to buy PS4/Xbone) it's STILL a great game.

Oh and Guy if you have a Wii U Gamepad AND a Pro Controller - get a mate round and try the Multiplayer mode after a few beers. I am not saying anything else, but if you know nothing about it yet it will knock your socks off - it's something completely new and unique to Wii U!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 05:38 AM   #20
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Matt - is this the one you're on about?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Wii...keywords=wii+u
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #21
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Oh and Guy if you have a Wii U Gamepad AND a Pro Controller - get a mate round and try the Multiplayer mode after a few beers. I am not saying anything else, but if you know nothing about it yet it will knock your socks off - it's something completely new and unique to Wii U!

Matt
What game?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #22
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
What game?