E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Walnut Blasting by Luther + Roc-Euro Intake

11-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
davidkotok
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Walnut Blasting by Luther + Roc-Euro Intake

Went to get my intake port and valves walnut blasted today at luther's, and let me preface this by saying it was great
and my car is running like brand new again, with some nicer sounds thanks to my new Roc-Euro DCI setup.
Name:  IMG_00000176.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  216.0 KB
I had heard of the benefits of walnut blasting from a friend who decided to do it himself last year just because he
wanted in clean - was not having any of the wretched symptoms that I have recently come to know. For the past
year or so when try to accelerate in 6th gear at around 2300rpm i've been getting a really weird hesitation
before it accelerates and about 6 weeks ago, my battery died and i started pulling all these weird codes, 2
injector codes, 2 throttle valve codes, and a dme thermostat code (all at different times before and after the
battery was fully drained. About 2 days after this while im going for a ride I notice that the car is a bit jittery and
when i go WOT in 3rd i immediately throw a misfire code. I turned off the car, turned it back on and it was fine,
although I just assumed i needed some new spark. The injector codes really worried me but after i cleared them they
never came back... I went to BMW and bought some BG fuel additive. Ran this threw and it was running really well
some days but throwing misfires others. Recently its been fine in normal driving but if you give it any power
between 2-3k it throws a code so you have to be really careful. I thought it could be the plugs but really I knew
that at 72k miles, my valves were due for a cleaning (see below haha).
Name:  Before1.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  148.4 KB
I had read great reviews of Luther on the forum and decided I would have him do it, I also found a Burger Motorsports
oil catch can on the forum and purchased a new Roc-Euro DCI system that sounds amazing and seems to have
helped with throttle response (in combinationwith the blasting) and definitely added some horse power in
the higher-end of the curve, I also had the spark plugs changed for fresh OEM Bosch.
Name:  After.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  127.8 KB
The job was completed in about 2 hours after engine cool-down time and all and as you can see above, its like
night and day... There was so much carbon build up from every super fun mile i've driven that it really started
to affect the performance of the engine over the past few hundred miles.

The car is running like it's brand new now and I had absolutely no weird start or rough idles. Definitely get this
done if your car is having any weird hesitation issues, theres just so much carbon in there before a quick blasting.
Really hoping that the OCC does its job, but I have a feeling I wont have to do this again for a while.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
kihun
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

how many miles do you have right now?
      11-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Eugeinus
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' Audi A6

I think OP said 72K right? I thought about having this done but only have 39K on the clock. Will probably wait until 55-60K to have it done.
      11-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
N0Chill 335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 335i M Sport AW

Just ordered my NGK Spark plugs and RB PCV valve. Once those come in I will be scheduling my appointment with Luther as well. Gonna get the OCC later and install it myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
davidkotok
Lieutenant
Rep

Yup, i have 72k - my buddy who i referenced in the article had 40k when he did it. I literally had no significant issues with the car before a few hundred miles ago but i suppose because i drive the car every day for the past 5 years that you dont realize the degradation.

I was planning on installing the OCC myself as well but because he has to take off everything to do the blasting it was easy and cheap to have him take care of it. I have more pictures of the other valve ports which are actually much worse than that one but figured you guys got the point

If you have 40k honestly I would take care of it now and install the pcv/occ and live care free.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
davidkotok
Lieutenant
Rep

Also - heres the DCI I purchased: http://roc-euro.com/shop-by-vehicle/...54-intake.html

it really sounds superb! was designed in house and although it looks similar to the other DCI set ups i can assure you these are the largest cones you will find and each is capable of sustaining over 500HP/bank

my next purchase from them will be hyperboost diverter valves which are supposed to be pretty sweet
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkotok View Post
my next purchase from them will be hyperboost diverter valves which are supposed to be pretty sweet
for that price I'd go with the Forge Diverter Valve setup. Quality parts and a known commodity.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
davidkotok
Lieutenant
Rep

if you check out hyperboost on the audi/vw its really popular, also made in the USA
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkotok View Post
if you check out hyperboost on the audi/vw its really popular, also made in the USA
I'm sure they are popular, but I don't own an Audi/VW. I went with a proven commodity for the BMW.
Appreciate 0