2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums CANADA 3rd party warranty : Coverage One

11-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

3rd party warranty : Coverage One

I received a quote for 7yr/ 80km ( I drive low mileage) for x5

$2125 ( $100 deductible)

Essentially all coverage ( Engine, Turbo, Transfer Case, Drive Axel, Steerting, Brakes, AC, Electrical, fuel delivery, suspension, cooling, ) except items that should be performed during regular maintenance. Interestingly, the coverage for timing chain/belt is covered if it is not replaced at manufacturers recommended maintenance interval. I thought the chain is not a scheduled maintenance item.

Dislikes are:
Replacement parts may be new, remanufactured, non-OEM, or of a like kind and quality (used) as deemed appropriate by the administrator.

Leery of 3rd party, prefer if BMW offered one.

They pay repair facility or Issuing dealer, meaning I cannot choose where my vehicle is repaired.

So, I will choose to decline. Comments welcomed.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

For starter, bmw parts are expensive and if you are going to get EWP, factory coverage is the only preferred way to go. I know it's pricey, but certainly, you can call up different GTA dealers to negotiate for the price. I think somebody over at the M3 forum suggested Budds Oakville will negotiate but as to how much, I guess it does not hurt to call and see.

Typically, the markup on this factory EWP (BMW Canada Financial) would be near 100%.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 03:36 AM   #3
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

^Bobblehead, thanks once again for your insight and helpfulness.

The estimator is 7yr / 200k km MSRP $4900.

Interesting that nonM's EWP coverage is for 6 or 7 yr. For M's only 6 yr is available.

This is my 2nd car from the dealership, and each time they did mention "BMW EWP" only their "associated" 3rd party warranty. I believe that the dealer would get more commission from selling the 3rd party warranty.

My observations are: 1) warranties debatable, comes back to a comfort level issue 2) if one is purchased generally much more desirable to go with BMW EW rather than a 3rd party.

Other factors: continued service beyond 4 yrs at BMW, transferability, new model year.

http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/owners/servi..._Warranty.html
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

say nobody in the gta will discount the factory EWP price, my opinion would be to just save that $5000 and put it aside for future reserve maintenance fund.

My take on having EWP (factory or 3rd party) is when the time comes to trade in the vehicle with that included, the dealer does not value much of it at all, perhaps, another $500 or so .. if at all.
Appreciate 0