F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 2013 F31 One Month Review
proTUNING Freaks

11-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
Betoni
Newbie!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D MSport(suspen del) F31

2013 F31 One Month Review

So I have had my 320d F31 in alpine white for exactly one month today and thought I would give a review of my thoughts on the car especially as its my first ever BMW after 9 years of Lexus cars.

Spec was:
Sun Glass Protection
Full Electric Towbar
Professional Media
Rear parking Sensors
Full Leather
Heated Front Seats

Overall I love it. The mix of power yet efficiency is sublime. I appreciate 325, 330 and 335 owners have way more power but 0-60 in 7.5 seconds is quick enough for me and even with that I don't get to use it very often as there is too much traffic most of the time. I am getting 47mpg on a city commute everyday (no motorway) and lots of stop start which I think is really good.

I love the colour although I seem to be washing it every few days and it seems to attract tar spots (any good remover suggestions appreciated).

I had the MSport with the suspension deleted so I have the regular suspension which suits me perfectly.

So what do I dislike:
Having to adjust two knobs to set the temperature, Every other car I have owned with dual climate control allows you to lock the temperatures together (unless I have missed a trick)

THe vibration judder when the car restarts using the stop start mode. Its the only time the car feels unrefined.

THe front and rear fog light buttons are in the most unergonomic place imaginable.

A bit picky but I find the boot load cover hard to fold back. Its easy to fold upwards with the flick of a wrist but not to slide directly back.

The automatic wipers seem useless I have to override them all the time (unless I am not using them correctly)

Daytime running light drive me mad but thats not BMW's fault I blame the damn EU for that one.

I wish I had the reversing camera as I don't trust the parking sensors

Other Info:
I have my winter tyres ready and waiting in the ensuite bathroom! Maybe get them fitted early next weeks as the temp is set to drop here in the midlands. Tyres are:

Rear Pirelli Sottozero II 255/40 R18 95 V N1
Front Pirelli SottoZero 225/45 R18 95 H XL AO

I am going to have them fit to my 400M alloys.. I appreciate the BMW recommendation is to have a separate wheel set but talking to my tyre fitter of 15 years he reported no problem with cracking alloys or issues with refitting. So I guess time with tell on that but I see little point in spending an extra £1000 plus for another set of alloys.

I will update on the winters when I fit them.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betoni View Post
THe front and rear fog light buttons are in the most unergonomic place imaginable.
Hopefully it will make people think twice about using them. How often is visibility really down to less than 100m to need to legally use them?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
Defero
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport

All the dislikes are a bit kit picking but I have to agree with you on all of them, they are all things I have come accoss.

I would also add in the poor design of the rear seat belt buckles and the car has a few rattles at times.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Banksy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Thanks for posting the review and congratulations on the new car.

Quick question - what troubles you about the DRLs?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Daytime running light drive me mad but thats not BMW's fault I blame the damn EU for that one.
You can code the DRL on/off option in the iDrive Lights menu. I did it for my car, on the days I'm fiddling about in my car and don't want the DRLs on. However when I'm out and about, I'll leave them switch on.... Visibility Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
So what do I dislike:
Having to adjust two knobs to set the temperature, Every other car I have owned with dual climate control allows you to lock the temperatures together (unless I have missed a trick) - You get used to it. It's not a deal breaker but it did nark me a bit at first.

The vibration judder when the car restarts using the stop start mode. Its the only time the car feels unrefined. - The 2 litre 4cyl Diesel is to blame. No probs with the 6cyl Diesel.

THe front and rear fog light buttons are in the most unergonomic place imaginable. Can't comment as never used the fogs.

A bit picky but I find the boot load cover hard to fold back. Its easy to fold upwards with the flick of a wrist but not to slide directly back. Go for weight training!

The automatic wipers seem useless I have to override them all the time (unless I am not using them correctly). Mine are superb and work like a wet dream come true.

Daytime running light drive me mad but thats not BMW's fault I blame the damn EU for that one. Love 'em. Love the EU.

I wish I had the reversing camera as I don't trust the parking sensors. Trust the PDCs as they are superbly safe.
Answers in Red^
      11-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

Re: wipers, I presume you know there is a sensitivity toggle? Mine work great but I do change the toggle sometimes to get it wiping at the right time.

Re: temperature settings, why are you changing them? I've had my car since July and never touched them since I set it a 19, The climate control sorts everything.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Defero
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport

The Auto Start Stop is not a big issue its just not refined, I have a 325d and have been in a 330d, I personally find it unrefined in both I just don't like it.

The wipers in my old VW where better. The BMW system is not great, my main issue is that on a damp morning where the car is wet the wipers at times in Auto mode will not turn off even when the screen is clear. If VW could get it right 10 years ago why is it not right on my F31 poor on BMW's part I think.

Last edited by Defero; 11-12-2013 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defero View Post
The Auto Start Stop is not a big issue its just not refined, I have a 325d and have been in a 330d, I personally find it unrefined in both I just don't like it.
+1
it's the biggest marketing gimmick ever. Hate it.

I'm from an era where we believe constantly switching your car on and off consumes more fuel than just leaving it running.

Also it makes certain passengers feel car sick when they usually never do in other cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Can't you turn off the start/stop? US versions you can -
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
Can't you turn off the start/stop? US versions you can -
Yes with coding, it can be told to remember what the last settings were.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNPT View Post
Yes with coding, it can be told to remember what the last settings were.
And without coding it just resets to on everytime you switch the car on or switch into eco pro.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
Betoni
Newbie!
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkidrew View Post
Re: wipers, I presume you know there is a sensitivity toggle? Mine work great but I do change the toggle sometimes to get it wiping at the right time.

Re: temperature settings, why are you changing them? I've had my car since July and never touched them since I set it a 19, The climate control sorts everything.
Yes but I still end up with a soaked windscreen and have to force a wipe so to speak! Had auto wipers in my last two cars which worked brilliantly 98% of the time.

I normally adjust my temp between 19 and 22 depending on the weather or if I am suited and booted etc. It just narks me to have to adjust the dials twice!

Plus I have 4 kids ranging in age from 17 to 4 who mess with knobs and buttons grrrr.....
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
Betoni
Newbie!
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy View Post
Thanks for posting the review and congratulations on the new car.

Quick question - what troubles you about the DRLs?
I believe we should be able to choose when we illuminate the front of our cars. I don't want or need some politician to pass legislation to decide when my lights should be on during daylight hours.

I don't want to start a politics debate but I find them quite distracting when I get a car in broad daylight with very bright LED shinning away.

I haven't got into coding yet but as a programmer by trade I know I won't be able to resist for much longer but need to do some serious research and background reading first.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #15
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
I don't want to start a politics debate but I find them quite distracting when I get a car in broad daylight with very bright LED shinning away.
May I recommend you get a 70s Datsun Cherry, you should be OK with that <joke of course>
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #16
mckmcr
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d F31

I bought the car around 4 months ago (F31) and I like it however its very noisy inside and unrefined, I even bought insulating mat and put it on one side of the wheelarch to see if the road noise will be reduced but no...

There are also rattles inside (poorly put together) and I took it last week to check and I got a courtesy car (BMW X1) which to my amazement was much quieter inside... X1

you cant have it all but im really disappointed in that area
      06-26-2014, 05:26 PM   #17
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckmcr View Post
I bought the car around 4 months ago (F31) and I like it however its very noisy inside and unrefined, I even bought insulating mat and put it on one side of the wheelarch to see if the road noise will be reduced but no...

There are also rattles inside (poorly put together) and I took it last week to check and I got a courtesy car (BMW X1) which to my amazement was much quieter inside... X1

Agreed about the rattles, all my BMWs have done this.
Shocking really for a premium brand car.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #18
Quakered
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: was BMW 328 Tourer F31

How foggy has it been in Brum over the last month?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 03:00 AM   #19
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckmcr View Post

Totally agree about the rattles and general road noise issues. I am looking in to getting a professionally fitted sound insulation kit fitted to the car. I can live with a bit of wind noise (as long as it's not whistling!) but the constant tyre rumble on some of our motorways is quite tedious.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 03:14 AM   #20
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

My niggle for the morning. Spec'd the extended storage, but because I have lane change warning and active cruise they remove the driver cubby for the sake of 2 tiny buttons
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 03:19 AM   #21
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
My niggle for the morning. Spec'd the extended storage, but because I have lane change warning and active cruise they remove the driver cubby for the sake of 2 tiny buttons
Yep, same here. If i knew then what I knew now after 6 months experience I would have probably done without active cruise, and enjoyed my little cubby hole instead. And the £600 saving!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #22
mckmcr
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Agreed about the rattles, all my BMWs have done this.
Shocking really for a premium brand car.
What is more shocking is that we stick with the brand. I had E46 before and it wasn't that rattly but it had electrics gimmicks - other BMW famous bit

I would consider honestly other brands but what choice do we have with RWD?
Lexus, Audi quattro (which is FWD most of the time), Mercedes (whaat? heck no).. thats it if you want something bigger than 2 door coupe/cabrio

So we're left with bimmer in hope to fix it ourselves in the end we do love it.