E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dash or Engine Noise\Knock, Name that Noise!

11-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
kctim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Dash or Engine Noise\Knock, Name that Noise!

Ok guys, I have a strange little noise that I need help tracking down.. I'll try to describe it the best I can.

*It's a very faint rattle or knock sound and surfaces when you don't give the car quite enough gas in first (MT) or going over a bump in a parking lot. So technically, I can get the sound to happen on demand by purposefully bogging the car in first, and I want to say it gets a little louder if I do that while turning the wheel.

*Noise seems to be coming from directly behind or in the dash, right behind the cluster. However, applying pressure on the cluster, dash etc does nothing to the noise so I'm thinking it's deeper, perhaps in engine bay.

* If I were to describe the sound part the best I could, it would be how a loose bolt sitting on the cowl would sound because going over bumps and bogging the car (which shakes it), is what causes this sound. I was thinking maybe the DCI's were rattling against something, or some tubing rattling somewhere.

*When it first started happening, I thought it slightly resembled a marble in a can sound, such as I see from time to time is vanos related. However, I'm not sold on this yet, unless someone knows a easy way to check this.

Dealership tells me to take it in, but I'm not sure if it's worth dissecting the car for this. Car runs like a champ, and is "very happy" as Jake@PTF puts it.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
_Sinister_
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Very Slow

So does it only sound like its in the interior? cause the dps makes a similar sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
kctim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sinister_ View Post
So does it only sound like its in the interior? cause the dps makes a similar sound.
Not sure, it's very hard to tell but perhaps it is in engine bay. The sound is really only detectable at or below 5mph.

Last edited by kctim; 11-05-2013 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
_Sinister_
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Very Slow

Could it possibly be your interior cabin filter? Case could be loose just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
kctim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Good idea. Thanks.
Appreciate 0