BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-05-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Bloomberg Compared the BMW i8 to the Tesla S

Bloomberg Europe just did a very extensive side by side comparison of The BMW i8 to the Tesla S. Matt Miller did the reporting.

BMW i8
$136k Base PRice
0-60 4.4 seconds
Combined 362 HP Hybrid Engine

Telsa S
$82.4k Base Price
0-60 3.9 seconds
416 HP All Electric Engine in Top of line model

Noted Tesla is $50k less

BMW more aggressive in style and stance, with BMW claiming it is more performance oriented.

BMW's rear engine dashes any hope of getting full size people in the rear seats. Tesla has optional seating for 7, a fully usable trunk and a front storage area.

"Bottom line, the BMW i8 is better looking,but unless you feel like spending more money on something that is not as fast, not as fuel efficient, not as family friendly, Telsa remains the undefeated champion of expensive electric cars."
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:43 AM   #2
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

When I win the lottery I'll have to look into this.
      11-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
Bloomberg Europe just did a very extensive side by side comparison of The BMW i8 to the Tesla S. Matt Miller did the reporting.

BMW i8
$136k Base PRice
0-60 4.4 seconds
Combined 362 HP Hybrid Engine

Telsa S
$82.4k Base Price
0-60 3.9 seconds
416 HP All Electric Engine in Top of line model

Noted Tesla is $50k less

BMW more aggressive in style and stance, with BMW claiming it is more performance oriented.

BMW's rear engine dashes any hope of getting full size people in the rear seats. Tesla has optional seating for 7, a fully usable trunk and a front storage area.

"Bottom line, the BMW i8 is better looking,but unless you feel like spending more money on something that is not as fast, not as fuel efficient, not as family friendly, Telsa remains the undefeated champion of expensive electric cars."
Hardly extensive! He's basically made his comparison by looking at a spec sheet and a picture.

He also calls the i8 a super car and refers to the M1 also... so I can't help but think he's maybe not quite grasped the point if the i8
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Hmm I haven't seen the source article, but there's nothing new here we haven't already seen from what you've posted.

I love how people arbitrarily discount certain points and then beef up other ones to make their point --

Like, "sure i8 is better styled, but who cares, the Tesla seats 7 people!"

I don't care if the Tesla was a bus that could sit 50 people it is still an ugly super-kia-lookalike and being faster in 0-60 time is NOT the ultimate indicator of a car's sportiness. In fact, it's likely the least useful one.

Anyway the entire argument is pointless. They are comparing a sports coupe to a luxury sedan, just because both are electric, although the i8 is a hybrid.

I mean, under normal circumstances, these two cars would never even be looked at in the same light. But because of the word electric, suddenly the i8 and Tesla are bitter rivals.

Let me know when Tesla comes out with a coupe that doesn't look like a Hyundai, and it can be compared to the i8... but not really.

Sorry guys, i8 is in a class of it's own right now and no one seems to get the idea.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
Matski
Captain
England
Rep

The most annoying thing is the way he implies that Elon Musk came up with the idea of electric cars, and now everyone is jumping on the bandwagon...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
Hardly extensive! He's basically made his comparison by looking at a spec sheet and a picture.
The entire segment with the comparison and European auto analyst on BMW's Quarterly Report was over 10 minutes long.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
So he compared a plug-in hybrid and a all-electric...talk about apples and oranges. Drivetrains aside, one's a family luxury hauler, one's a 2+2 sports coupe. They have little more in common between them than an electric motor and battery pack over 5kWh.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Not this again.
They are not even direct rivals.

Thanks.
      11-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Not this again.
They are not even direct rivals.

Thanks.

Said what I was trying to say but only in 10 words!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
Matski
Captain
England
Rep

Yeah, I'm aware such scenarios exist, certainly with US car companies it seems, but tesla is a young company, with a very limited product base and revenue stream, in order to grow into a more stable car company they need the confidence of their investors. If they are going global with super charger stations they need to be investing in infrastructure as well, which must be a big cost.

I've got nothing against Tesla, they've done a great job, but it's a unique set of circumstances, and at the moment they have no competition, once a major player hits that segment with another similar product I think tesla will start to feel the heat. Bring on an i5...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
Yeah, I'm aware such scenarios exist, certainly with US car companies it seems, but tesla is a young company, with a very limited product base and revenue stream, in order to grow into a more stable car company they need the confidence of their investors. If they are going global with super charger stations they need to be investing in infrastructure as well, which must be a big cost.

I've got nothing against Tesla, they've done a great job, but it's a unique set of circumstances, and at the moment they have no competition, once a major player hits that segment with another similar product I think tesla will start to feel the heat. Bring on an i5...
Did you bother to look at Amazon's Q3? Also a loss (as it was in 2012 as well). Even Q4 (Holiday sales) might be a loss based on forward guidance.

During the company's earnings call this morning, Tesla CEO Elon Musk said, "we really are production constrained, not demand constrained."

He said the main constraint on production has been the cells.

In fact, he pointed out that they had to hold back car deliveries in the U.S. to deliver to Europe.

"U.S. demand or North American demand has continued to increase. We've actually had to starve North American demand in order to feed Europe. We've had European customers that have been waiting for a long time so we've had to constrain deliveries to North America in order to get people their cars, in some cases for two to three years.

"I think we could sustain 20,000 cars a year in North America and maybe more than that. But it doesn't make sense for us to try to amplify demand if we aren't able to deliver to that demand. That'll just make people unhappy.

"Where we are in Europe, we're in Europe where we were in the U.S. in January or February of this year. It's on the order of 10,000 units a year. But again it doesn't make sense for us to drive that demand higher if we aren't able to meet it. We want to make sure we're laying the groundwork for future demand increase and I think we can get demand in Europe to be similar to that of North America. That seems pretty achievable to me."

And this production constraint is spilling into Asia as well.

Musk pointed out that they expect to begin deliveries in China in the first quarter of 2014, probably around February. And again iterated that there was no point trying to drive up demand if they couldn't meet it.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla...#ixzz2ju5hEy7S
Appreciate 0