F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 428 owner reviews needed
Studio RSR

10-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Christos
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 s3.0 Msport

428 owner reviews needed

428i/xi Owners who have taken delivery, tell us about your car, likes/ dislikes, handling, mpg etc anything you can share.

Thank you.
      10-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
riimiX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Coupe

although i've only had the car since saturday, my best attempt at trying to share my feelings is: i fucking LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
NosceTeIpsum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by riimiX View Post
although i've only had the car since saturday, my best attempt at trying to share my feelings is: i fucking LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
teen335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport

Quote:
I think you're a happy customer.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 12:53 AM   #5
boulderado
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i xDrive

Took delivery this Friday (10/25). Everything about the car feels right.

With the 18 inch wheels and adjustable dampers, the car feels very smooth and yet also very composed thanks to the stiff body. Gearbox and the engine work together brilliantly and the car moves effortlessly at any speed. The low seating position and driver oriented cockpit is awesome. I love the steering, it is on the lighter side but very direct and has some decent feel to it. ASS is a big improvement over the 2013 3 series cars that I test drove before. The car looks just gorgeous and I am getting compliments from everyone. The sunroof lets in so much light and doesn't make any wind noise when tilted even driving at 60-70 mph. Well the car is very quite in general unless I put my foot down and rev the engine pass 4000 rpm. The exhaust note is noticably (and positively) different than the 2013 328 xdrive I test drove 3 times. I have done 250 miles already and yet I still have more than half a tank left!

There isn't a single thing that I am not impressed about the car. I had very high expectations and so far it has pretty much exceeded all my expectations.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
Christos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderado View Post

With the 18 inch wheels and adjustable dampers, the car feels very smooth and yet also very composed thanks to the stiff body. Gearbox and the engine work together brilliantly and the car moves effortlessly at any speed. The low seating position and driver oriented cockpit is awesome. I love the steering, it is on the lighter side but very direct and has some decent feel to it. ASS is a big improvement over the 2013 3 series cars that I test drove before. The car looks just gorgeous and I am getting compliments from everyone. The sunroof lets in so much light and doesn't make any wind noise when tilted even driving at 60-70 mph. Well the car is very quite in general unless I put my foot down and rev the engine pass 4000 rpm. The exhaust note is noticably (and positively) different than the 2013 328 xdrive I test drove 3 times. I have done 250 miles already and yet I still have more than half a tank left!

There isn't a single thing that I am not impressed about the car. I had very high expectations and so far it has pretty much exceeded all my expectations.
Nice review, does the car ever feel sluggish?
      10-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderado
Took delivery this Friday (10/25). Everything about the car feels right...

Great to hear

Any wind/cabin noise comparisons with the F30? I appreciate it's subjective but would be interesting to know.

In fact, I'm keen to hear any comparisons people can share over the F30!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
Rasengan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 428i M Sport

- handling. this car handles like a dream...it's very tossable...my car before this was a 370Z Roadster which is a 2 door, seater and i would have to say although the Z wins in brute power and speed, i feel more confident taking corners faster in the 4...it just feels more nimble, there is little-to-no bodyroll, the chassis is and feels way stiffer, and it gives you confidence

- mileage. wow, even in sport mode i'm getting high 20s...in eco or comfort mode, expressway i'm in the high 30s, it's insane! my 370Z was getting 19mpg in the city, my old RX-8 about 16mpg, my wife's Infiniti EX35 about 22-23mpg

- steering. too light for me, even in sport mode...it's not a deal breaker by any means but i do wish there was more feel to the steering...the steering feels like my old Lexus IS350 but the difference was that car had no soul, it was not fun to drive at all...this 4 wants to be tossed around, it begs to be manhandled

- adaptive lighting. i've had numerous cars now with this feature and by far this works the best...it moves in unison to the steering wheel unlike other manufacturers who's headlights really only move once you've turned the wheel a certain number of degrees and the lights then move to a predetermined angle...this was how it was in my old Lexus and my wife's current Infiniti...the BMW's lights are moving all the time with the wheel

- navigation system + HUD. i love the huge widescreen panel where you can split it to different functions...hell, you don't even need to show the map anymore because your HUD shows you when to turn and everything else you need which leaves your screen free for anything else...now that i've had HUD, it's a must have from now on

- sensatec. this sucks...and i understand that a lot of people will say i should have gone to the dealer and looked at it before i bought it and they would be absolutely right, it's my fault...but i would not buy sensatec again...i would just spend the extra money on the leather or even go with the m sport cloth...after reading all the reviews, i was given the impression it would look and feel like leather...well it does, but really cheap, hard leather...i am not a fan and won't be cutting corners next time around...but if the reviewers are right and the sensatec feels and looks just like the leather then wtf, my Nissan had better leather than this crap

- engine sound. this is totally fine with me...actually, i was pretty surprised by how it sounds...i guess maybe i wasn't expecting much since it is a 4-banger and i can't even remember the last time i've owned a 4 banger (i think it's been over 20 years now) but i was pleasantly surprised that it did not sound anything like a 4 cyl...it's deep and grumbly...i'm 100% happy with how it sounds for being what it is

- harman kardon. i'm a believer...before this my favorite oem auto stereo manufacturer was the Mark Levinson that i had in my IS350...i would say the HK sounds just as good but adds in all the bass that was missing from the ML...i can actually say i do not need to add any subs to the HK, it has plenty of everything i need...it's not perfect but it's far more than just sufficient...it sounds great...Bose can kiss my ass...that actually is a dealbreaker for me...if BMW put Bose systems in their cars i would seriously not even consider their cars

other odds and ends - i can't figure out a good way to close the doors or trunk without touching the paint...i know there are handles on the trunk lid but you gotta pull that really hard to get it swing hard enough and actually close the lid...speaking of the trunk, it's HUGE! holy crap, you could fit a Prius in there...speaking of space, the backseats are true backseats! this isn't a 2+2 where the backseats are there for insurance purposes, human adults can actually sit back there comfortably even with your seat way back

overall i've been very satisfied with the purchase...i really didn't want to sell my roadster but we're expecting a child and a 2 seater just wasn't going to cut it...i loved that car and now i love this car...when i think of more things to write about i'll share or ask questions
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
Sp82
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5/G30 5er

Quote:
lol nice one
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
boulderado
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos View Post
Nice review, does the car ever feel sluggish?
In eco pro the car does feel sluggish but even in comfort mode it moves effortlessly. Select sport or spor+ or just push the gear lever to the left and it holds onto the gears longer. And the spot mode can be programmed via idrive. You can choose it to affect the drivetrain or the suspension individually or both at the same time. Btw eco pro is great if you have a long straight in front of you as it puts the car to the coasting mode. Rpm drops about 500 and the car maintains its speed so well without any throttle. When you finally touch the throttle the engine comes back on seamlessly.

Quote:
Any wind/cabin noise comparisons with the F30? I appreciate it's subjective but would be interesting to know.

In fact, I'm keen to hear any comparisons people can share over the F30!
While test driving the f30, I didn't notice any cabin noise issue and the f32 is very quiet too. So far the most noticeable differences have been the lower seating position, better exhaust note, and the operation of ASS.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
Christos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasengan View Post
- handling. this car handles like a dream...it's very tossable...my car before this was a 370Z Roadster which is a 2 door, seater and i would have to say although the Z wins in brute power and speed, i feel more confident taking corners faster in the 4...it just feels more nimble, there is little-to-no bodyroll, the chassis is and feels way stiffer, and it gives you confidence

- mileage. wow, even in sport mode i'm getting high 20s...in eco or comfort mode, expressway i'm in the high 30s, it's insane! my 370Z was getting 19mpg in the city, my old RX-8 about 16mpg, my wife's Infiniti EX35 about 22-23mpg

- steering. too light for me, even in sport mode...it's not a deal breaker by any means but i do wish there was more feel to the steering...the steering feels like my old Lexus IS350 but the difference was that car had no soul, it was not fun to drive at all...this 4 wants to be tossed around, it begs to be manhandled

- adaptive lighting. i've had numerous cars now with this feature and by far this works the best...it moves in unison to the steering wheel unlike other manufacturers who's headlights really only move once you've turned the wheel a certain number of degrees and the lights then move to a predetermined angle...this was how it was in my old Lexus and my wife's current Infiniti...the BMW's lights are moving all the time with the wheel

- navigation system + HUD. i love the huge widescreen panel where you can split it to different functions...hell, you don't even need to show the map anymore because your HUD shows you when to turn and everything else you need which leaves your screen free for anything else...now that i've had HUD, it's a must have from now on

- sensatec. this sucks...and i understand that a lot of people will say i should have gone to the dealer and looked at it before i bought it and they would be absolutely right, it's my fault...but i would not buy sensatec again...i would just spend the extra money on the leather or even go with the m sport cloth...after reading all the reviews, i was given the impression it would look and feel like leather...well it does, but really cheap, hard leather...i am not a fan and won't be cutting corners next time around...but if the reviewers are right and the sensatec feels and looks just like the leather then wtf, my Nissan had better leather than this crap

- engine sound. this is totally fine with me...actually, i was pretty surprised by how it sounds...i guess maybe i wasn't expecting much since it is a 4-banger and i can't even remember the last time i've owned a 4 banger (i think it's been over 20 years now) but i was pleasantly surprised that it did not sound anything like a 4 cyl...it's deep and grumbly...i'm 100% happy with how it sounds for being what it is

- harman kardon. i'm a believer...before this my favorite oem auto stereo manufacturer was the Mark Levinson that i had in my IS350...i would say the HK sounds just as good but adds in all the bass that was missing from the ML...i can actually say i do not need to add any subs to the HK, it has plenty of everything i need...it's not perfect but it's far more than just sufficient...it sounds great...Bose can kiss my ass...that actually is a dealbreaker for me...if BMW put Bose systems in their cars i would seriously not even consider their cars

other odds and ends - i can't figure out a good way to close the doors or trunk without touching the paint...i know there are handles on the trunk lid but you gotta pull that really hard to get it swing hard enough and actually close the lid...speaking of the trunk, it's HUGE! holy crap, you could fit a Prius in there...speaking of space, the backseats are true backseats! this isn't a 2+2 where the backseats are there for insurance purposes, human adults can actually sit back there comfortably even with your seat way back

overall i've been very satisfied with the purchase...i really didn't want to sell my roadster but we're expecting a child and a 2 seater just wasn't going to cut it...i loved that car and now i love this car...when i think of more things to write about i'll share or ask questions

Excellent write up
      10-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #12
baw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 428i M Sport

+1
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #13
///Marko
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 35d lci

Not exactly for a 428i review but I went for 328iA touring M-sport from 320dA E90 lci. What a huge improvement! When a whole generation comes to a change then I will change my car. No more lci upgrades for me.

I have M-sport brakes, normal suspension because of xDrive, M403īs and servotronic steering and I fucking LOVE IT! Even if I parted with glass roof and towing hitch, I have adaptive cruise, memory seats, Hud and navigation now and I could not think it would be better with any more options.

I tried to keep my car light weight and that was the main reason to skip panorama roof and hitch.

I have adaptive lights as like with my previous car but havenīt got a change to compare them yet.

If I want more power Iīll go with Hartge or AC Schnitcher box. But theres no need to that at this time.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
mntbiker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderado View Post

Nice!! Congrats on finally taking delivery. It's been a long wait. 2 more weeks for me...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
boulderado
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker View Post
Nice!! Congrats on finally taking delivery. It's been a long wait. 2 more weeks for me...
Oh the wait was terrible but trust me it is worth it
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #16
mntbiker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasengan View Post
...speaking of the trunk, it's HUGE! holy crap, you could fit a Prius in there...
Haha, awesome. Planning to put my mountain bike in there

Great review, too!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #17
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Great write-ups folks, thanks.

Need to stop torturing myself by camping out on this forum...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #18
Christos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
Great write-ups folks, thanks.

Need to stop torturing myself by camping out on this forum...
Agree, keep them coming please
      11-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #19
Christos
Captain
Rep

Are the interior lights of the 428 L.E.D. bulbs?