BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

The Final Countdown

Just got back from my local dealership. I signed the paperwork for my new 2014 X5 xDrive 35i and traded in my 2009 335i coupe. I'm scheduled for Performance Center Delivery on 11/5, just 10 days from now.

My timeline: July 2013: Test drove the E70 X5 in 35d and 35i versions back-to-back to determine which F15 I would order for Performance Center Delivery. I preferred the 35i.
Late August 2013: Got the call from my CA telling my they just got configurable allocations for the 35i models. I sent him color preferences and options and we were expecting October production.
September 13, 2013: My car went into production earlier than expected. According to my CA, "everything got pushed up". Car was completed about a week later. I wanted to schedule PCD but we were told that all 2014 X5s were on hold and no deliveries could be made until the hold was removed.
October 9, 2013: Got the call from my CA that he was now able to schedule PCD. He was given a date of 10/29, but we were able to change to my preferred date of 11/5.
October 26, 2013: Finalized the paperwork for the X5 and traded in my 335i coupe.
November 5, 2013: The wife and I pick up the car at the Performance Center! Pictures and writeup to follow.

Here's what we will be getting:

2014 X5 XDrive 35i xLine
Mineral White
Mocha Nappa Interior design Package
Poplar Trim
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assistance Package
Driver Assistance Plus Package
Luxury Seating Package
Premium Package
Space Saver Spare
Ceramic Controls
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound System

I'm working out some plans for the drive back to Minnesota. I'm open to any suggestions!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

I am also from MN and curious why you decided to get the car delivered in South Carolina? I ordered mine last week and will get it delivered here at the dealer. I always wanted to try European delivery but that is not an option for X5.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
I am also from MN and curious why you decided to get the car delivered in South Carolina? I ordered mine last week and will get it delivered here at the dealer. I always wanted to try European delivery but that is not an option for X5.
Are you familiar with Performance Center Delivery? It's a really great experience, especially if you can tour the factory where the X5 is built. Even though the factory is closed to tours until the spring, I'd definitely recommend doing PCD.

Also, there are some great places to see on the way home, including the Tail of the Dragon:

http://www.tailofthedragon.com

My wife and I will also visit some friends in SC as well. If you have the time, PCD is much more memorable than the average dealership delivery.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
AresM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3

My wife and I did the PCD for our M3, and loved it! It is really nice to do track time, off road etc, but what was really nice is the time you spend with your new car and a BMW rep. We spent over an hour going over every detail of our M3. These cars can do so many things that it is really nice to have someone tell you about all the features and answer any questions you might have.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
nwshore
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
BMWMN1971, how did you get your deal with 0.00125 MF, I just came back from Motor Werks, Bloomington. They did give me about $2500 off msrp, but insisted on 0.00165 MF. And they even denied that they've ever given any deals like yours. You care to PM me? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
nwshore
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Just got back from my local dealership. I signed the paperwork for my new 2014 X5 xDrive 35i and traded in my 2009 335i coupe. I'm scheduled for Performance Center Delivery on 11/5, just 10 days from now.

My timeline: July 2013: Test drove the E70 X5 in 35d and 35i versions back-to-back to determine which F15 I would order for Performance Center Delivery. I preferred the 35i.
Late August 2013: Got the call from my CA telling my they just got configurable allocations for the 35i models. I sent him color preferences and options and we were expecting October production.
September 13, 2013: My car went into production earlier than expected. According to my CA, "everything got pushed up". Car was completed about a week later. I wanted to schedule PCD but we were told that all 2014 X5s were on hold and no deliveries could be made until the hold was removed.
October 9, 2013: Got the call from my CA that he was now able to schedule PCD. He was given a date of 10/29, but we were able to change to my preferred date of 11/5.
October 26, 2013: Finalized the paperwork for the X5 and traded in my 335i coupe.
November 5, 2013: The wife and I pick up the car at the Performance Center! Pictures and writeup to follow.

2014 X5 XDrive 35i xLine
Mineral White
Poplar Trim
Cold Weather Package
Luxury Seating Package
Premium Package
Space Saver Spare
Ceramic Controls

I'm working out some plans for the drive back to Minnesota. I'm open to any suggestions!
Congratulation! AEC, i'm also from MN, do you mind share what kind of deal you got? and which dealer? PM me if you want.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Congratulations AEC. Your build us excellent. Would love to see the pics of car along with PCD experiences.

I am still waiting for my car to be built and PCD. Please let us know any lessons for best experience at PCD.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

AEC: It looks like it took about seven or eight weeks from the production date to the date you will (hopefully) drive away in the vehicle. I'm in the USA and have a production date of "week 49". Is seven to eight weeks for time from production date to driving it away from a dealership (not the Performance Center)?

someguy
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
AEC: It looks like it took about seven or eight weeks from the production date to the date you will (hopefully) drive away in the vehicle. I'm in the USA and have a production date of "week 49". Is seven to eight weeks for time from production date to driving it away from a dealership (not the Performance Center)?
It will most likely be much less than that. My car was being held after production for the official launch, and then I had to wait for a PCD date. I probably would have had the car a bit sooner if I took delivery at the dealership.

Once things get rolling, I'd guess maybe 3 to 4 weeks after production is done. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
Genechen22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 50

I'm in the US and believe it will be a week or two after Production finish.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #11
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genechen22 View Post
I'm in the US and believe it will be a week or two after Production finish.
How long does it take from production date to production finish?

someguy
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #12
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think it's usually about a week.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC
Quote:
I think it's usually about a week.
^this. And that includes final quality checks and testing. The actual production itself is supposedly down to 24 hours I am told.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy
It really depends on where in the US people are. In NY, from actual start of production to getting to our dealers could be less than 2 weeks (a week to build, a week to ship). Obviously it takes longer to ship a car to California.

Once on a normal schedule where dealers have available allocations every month, it is usually 3-4 weeks for us here from ORDER to delivery, pretty consistently. I would imagine you would add a week or 2 more as you get further from SC.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'm in Kansas City and was told "Week 49" production (December 2-December 8). I'll just hope for the car the first week in January and will be extra happy to see it in December.

someguy
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

My car is scheduled for week 45 production and according to my dealer it should be delivered in no more than 2 weeks after production date.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #17
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post

2014 X5 XDrive 35i xLine
Mineral White
Poplar Trim
Cold Weather Package
Luxury Seating Package
Premium Package
Space Saver Spare
Ceramic Controls

So do you get to keep the old car until delivery of the new one? so do you have limited mileage on the traded-in bimmer? how does that work in general?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
So do you get to keep the old car until delivery of the new one? so do you have limited mileage on the traded-in bimmer? how does that work in general?
I didn't keep the old car. I have another car to drive until I pick up the new car. If I did need the old car, the dealership would have rented me my old car at no cost until I picked up the new one. That way my insurance would have covered any problems after I sold the car to them.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #19
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
I didn't keep the old car. I have another car to drive until I pick up the new car. If I did need the old car, the dealership would have rented me my old car at no cost until I picked up the new one. That way my insurance would have covered any problems after I sold the car to them.
Why would you have to turn it in before the new car is ready? My dealership quoted me the trade-in price on our X3 and will honor that price until the new car comes in, regardless of how long that takes. Now, I'm sure if I all of a sudden put 10k miles on it instead of our usual 1 or so a month, they might object. But they did the same thing on an ML350 we traded in on the X3. The X3 took exactly a month to come in, so we ended up getting a check back from the ML since the trade-in price matched the buyout a month before we traded it in (then made another payment on the ML, making the final buyout that much less). So we essentially got that last month of the Mercedes free

I guess it's only a week and a half for you and you're not dropping off and picking up at the same place.. But still, seems like you should've been able to do it the day of or day before you left for the PDC. That short a time though, I guess I would rather drop it off and not have to worry about it. Once you get the trade-in price that thing becomes an asset not a car anymore lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #20
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Post pics please...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #21
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
Post pics please...
Pics coming. Just got back...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #22
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Why would you have to turn it in before the new car is ready? My dealership quoted me the trade-in price on our X3 and will honor that price until the new car comes in, regardless of how long that takes. Now, I'm sure if I all of a sudden put 10k miles on it instead of our usual 1 or so a month, they might object. But they did the same thing on an ML350 we traded in on the X3. The X3 took exactly a month to come in, so we ended up getting a check back from the ML since the trade-in price matched the buyout a month before we traded it in (then made another payment on the ML, making the final buyout that much less). So we essentially got that last month of the Mercedes free

I guess it's only a week and a half for you and you're not dropping off and picking up at the same place.. But still, seems like you should've been able to do it the day of or day before you left for the PDC. That short a time though, I guess I would rather drop it off and not have to worry about it. Once you get the trade-in price that thing becomes an asset not a car anymore lol.
When you do ED or PCD, the paperwork has to be completed beforehand. I think it's about 1 week prior for PCD and longer for ED. It's my understanding that you can't just do it the day before you pick it up. Anyone know the official lead times?
Appreciate 0