F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Can anyone recommend a detailer in High Wycombe?
proTUNING Freaks

10-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Question Can anyone recommend a detailer in High Wycombe?

Looking for a detailer in the High Wycombe area for my new toy when it arrives in 2-3 weeks! I've googled but nothing seems to jump out at me - any recommendations people?
I had the 'paint and protect thingy' thrown in with my deal in order for the sales guy to get his commission but as it's listed on my invoice I might swap it for something else (probably a spoiler) at the last minute and go elsewhere for detailing...
If anyone knows a detailer wishing to travel to me then that would be an option too.
TIA
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F31 330d X-Drive M-Sport

Maidenhead isn't too far from you: http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
matk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d F31

seal and protect is crap anyway stripped mine and put sealer and wax on it already.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks guys. Not sure if they will let me swap it but I will at least ask...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Don't let the dealer touch your car...seriously - any proper detailer will tell you this.

They will cause more harm than good.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks Andy. I will have a chat with them next week. They may get a bit funny in regards to the commission but I didn't realise at the time that dealers rush this sealing process through. Spoke to someone yesterday and apparently (?) they spend a whole day detailing a new car and like to keep it overnight for the products to cure fully. A bit pricey though at around £599...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Sealants like those from Gtechniq take at least 12 hours to cure, but ideally you should leave them longer.

Even a new car detail will take a whole day. To foam, wash, clay, polish and seal a car isn't a 5 min job.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I spoke to a guy at http://refineddetails.co.uk earlier this evening and he seemed very nice and knowledgeable. Anyone had any experience with him? His prices seem very reasonable compared to others I've heard back from so far. I think the products he uses are by AutoBrite although he didn't say that they had to be left overnight to cure. Not sure if I should be concerned about that or not.
He said he would spend around a day completing the work depending on my exact requirements...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
Hprice1099
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
I spoke to a guy at http://refineddetails.co.uk earlier this evening and he seemed very nice and knowledgeable. Anyone had any experience with him? His prices seem very reasonable compared to others I've heard back from so far. I think the products he uses are by AutoBrite although he didn't say that they had to be left overnight to cure. Not sure if I should be concerned about that or not.
He said he would spend around a day completing the work depending on my exact requirements...
Very good prices, he's got pictures of a new f31 he done a silver detail on. Looks very nice
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Some of his work is on here too http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...efined+details
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Car detailers recommend that you collect your car unwashed from the dealership. Has anyone else done this? Seems a bit strange to collect a dirty car???
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #12
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
Car detailers recommend that you collect your car unwashed from the dealership. Has anyone else done this? Seems a bit strange to collect a dirty car???
Basically, never let a dealer clean, wash, vacuum, your car ever!

Collect it untouched, then get the detailer to do his thing once you've got it.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Why not get the detailer to prepare the car at the dealer before you collect it?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 03:40 AM   #14
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Why not get the detailer to prepare the car at the dealer before you collect it?
I will ask but not sure if they would let him...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #15
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Car detailing update...

I'm still waiting for my effing car to arrive so Ive been looking into other detailing companies and asking many questions.

This is the reply from the company offering G-Techniq products...

"I appreciate it is still higher than the other quote you've had with the 'autobrite' products, however, your vehicle is receiving a treatment which will outlast the other products by at least four times. A crystal lacquer will generally give you at least two years of protection compared to the average of six months from a polymer sealant."

I'm very much the kind of person that believes you get what you pay for and in this instance I think I might be right... What do people think? Are they talking sense or is it just sales patter?!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #16
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

How much are they quoting?

There's a lot of science behind the Gtechniq products and they are very good. The products themselves look pricey, but they do go a long way (less is more when applying them).

I have a bit of an issue with getting a car detailed this time of year. You spend £300+ and by the time you get home, your car will be dirty.

The interior I would do yourself. It's straightforward and not particularly time consuming.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #17
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I know it gets dirty instantly but cars always will I guess. A big part of detailing a car correctly is that it makes cleaning easier and with my work commitments this is a massive plus
I quite like the idea of getting the car 'sealed' slightly too. Not sure if I'm understanding it correctly though...
The detailing service includes pretty much everything. Please see below...

* Thorough Wash, Decontamination and Chemical bath of all exterior surfaces
* Paintwork polished by machine with Gtechniq Paintwork Cleanser
* Paintwork protected with Gtechniq C1 Ceramic Lacquer * Glass Polished and Sealed with Gtechniq G1 Ceramic Water Repellant Coating
* Alloy Wheels removed, deep cleaned and decontaminated, sealed with Gtechniq Ceramic Wheel Armour
* Tyres Dressed with Gtechniq Non Greasy Tyre Dressing * Interior cleaned, leather protected with Gtechniq Leather Sealant and all fabrics protected with Gtechniq Fabric Guard
* Engine Bay dressed with Gtechniq plastic sealant

I'm in two minds to be honest - I really want to learn detailing myself so going for the Polymer option might be good enough for now... then in the summer I can re-treat it myself and learn that way.
Decisions, decisions!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #18
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

The main thing to learn when starting to detail is how to wash properly using the two bucket method.

Some of the things on your list would need doing every few months. The tyre dressing doesn't last particularly long and anyone can apply that. The same goes for the leather/fabric guards (depending on usage). Every few months I top things up like the leather guards/tyre dressing/fabric guard. They are pretty good value and worth having in your garage.

There are quite a few people who teach detailing for all levels. Have you thought about that? It's going to be important that you maintain your car properly with washing it correctly.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #19
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks Andy.
What products can you recommend?
Do you know where to find tuition in the UK? I've looked on the web but it's a mind field! I would very much like to learn this skill and maybe have a career change at some point. Just thinking ahead I'm in Buckinghamshire if that makes a difference.
Thanks for your help on this
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #20
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Hey...sorry about the delayed response.

I am a Gtechniq fan. I started using some of their products and really liked their longevity.

You are going to need to get some basic kit for general washes etc. Two buckets/grit guards/PH neutral shampoo/wash mitts/alloy wheel brushes/alloy wheel cleaner/drying towel/microfibre clothes. There are lots of videos and guides on Detailing World on how to wash a car etc. Junkman's videos are really good - well worth watching.

Most of the detailing courses are geared at paint correction - machine polishing or hand polishing/wet sanding. This is an area where you can cause damage if you don't do things properly or know what you are doing. If you want to learn this part of detailing, then there are some really good courses like with KDS in Kent.

As for money in detailing and changing careers....there isn't much money in it. Unless you can tap in to people who will pay 4 figures for regular work, you will struggle.
Appreciate 0