E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > ZSP is Great in Snow!

12-10-2005, 11:07 AM   #1
Atty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 X5 48i M-Sport

Garage List
ZSP is Great in Snow!

We had snow here too this week and I loved driving with ZSP and stock summer tires - it's great!

Ok, in actuality the car truly sucks in the snow. It's literally the WORST bad-weather car I've ever owned. But that's what I like about it; to me, there's nothing more fun than driving everywhere you go - sideways.

I did have a few disconcerting moments, because the rear really breaks loose without notice, even with just a light tap on the throttle. But once I got used to that sensation, it was a blast.

Hehehe
      12-10-2005, 11:54 AM   #2
human
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: honda civic ex

Dude, that's all "well and good," but please go out and get a set of snow tires (or all-seasons). There will be certain weather conditions where the roads seem safe at first, but summer tires will betray you. I had a very serious close-call in the past, and (I would hope that) experienced members will agree that snow or all-season tires are the way to go in the snowy states. Sorry to drop a terd in the punch bowl.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 12:01 PM   #3
nrg09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: honda& proud of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atty
We had snow here too this week and I loved driving with ZSP and stock summer tires - it's great!

Ok, in actuality the car truly sucks in the snow. It's literally the WORST bad-weather car I've ever owned. But that's what I like about it; to me, there's nothing more fun than driving everywhere you go - sideways.

I did have a few disconcerting moments, because the rear really breaks loose without notice, even with just a light tap on the throttle. But once I got used to that sensation, it was a blast.

Hehehe
An Attorney driving recklesly in the snow...WHAT HAS AMERICA BECOME!!!!! hehe j/k

Click here to view the most horrific mod and most hilarious thread ever!!

|O /\/\ \rrrr/
|O/rrrr\ \/\/
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 12:04 PM   #4
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by human
Dude, that's all "well and good," but please go out and get a set of snow tires (or all-seasons). There will be certain weather conditions where the roads seem safe at first, but summer tires will betray you. I had a very serious close-call in the past, and (I would hope that) experienced members will agree that snow or all-season tires are the way to go in the snowy states. Sorry to drop a terd in the punch bowl.
I live in NJ and have never used snow tires! While they are a huge help they dont make you a good driver in the snow! IMO the e90 sits way to low to even drive it in any real snow fall. I was plowing snow the other day and it was only about 6in. If it is that bad I will just not drive it.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
Atty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 X5 48i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by human
Dude thanks anyway but I'm good. I've been driving in winter conditions for over 20 years and never had a problem like you've had. Plus, since I'm moving to sunny Southern CA in a few months, snow tires would be a big waste of money.
      12-10-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atty
Dude thanks anyway but I'm good. I've been driving in winter conditions for over 20 years and never had a problem like you've had. Plus, since I'm moving to sunny Southern CA in a few months, snow tires would be a big waste of money.
South CA your one lucky guy!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 09:02 PM   #7
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz5
I live in NJ and have never used snow tires! While they are a huge help they dont make you a good driver in the snow! IMO the e90 sits way to low to even drive it in any real snow fall. I was plowing snow the other day and it was only about 6in. If it is that bad I will just not drive it.
I agree about the car being too low, especially with ZSP and my replacement 17" wheels (Dunlop M3 DSST tires). Although general perfomance was pretty good in the snow, I was ploughing the snow myself before the ploughs had worked well through the streets. I also bottomed out once and had a heck of a time getting out. you can read more about it in this thread.