F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Winter mats
ARMA SPEED

10-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
N-Y
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Winter mats

looking to get winter mats.... I've been told Weathertech are the best... anybody suggest any other brands, or is Weathertech best buy?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
whitebeast1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

I wonder the same thing, are the weather tech or bmw floor liners, which ones are better
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
kerplunk38
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xDrive

The BMW Floor liners are actually WeatherTech DigiFit Liners. You could also get the BMW All Weather mats but the Liners are much nicer and better.

I like my BMW WeatherTech Liners a lot.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/41...R-FLOOR-LINERS
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
whitebeast1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Do the x drive floor liners fit different? I have RWD and bmw just sells xdrive liners but weather tech has 2 different sets
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
kerplunk38
Rep

Yes, I assume they would fit differently. I didn't realize BMW was only selling the liners for the XDrive. I have a 335i XDrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
N-Y
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

I think if u go through BMW your paying more... just to get the same mat with bmw logo
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
puma1552
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 Mustang GT Premium

Personally I HATE rubber mats, looks so ungodly cheap and carpeted mats are rubber backed anyway.

What I always do is get 2-3 thin cheap mats from autozone (thin so they can bend/mold easily) and then cover basically the entire carpet. I usually will take a cheap front mat and lay it up along the tranny tunnel covering all of the carpet up to the console plastics, then I'll usually take a cheap rectangular rear mat and put that in the 90 degree well where the door jamb is to cover those 2-3" of carpet by the door jamb, then on top of those I'll put a regular factory carpeted mat (but i will keep the nice thick embroidered mats for summer, think of the cheapy factory mats your car comes with) on top in the normal place to secure the other two in place.

Sounds horrid, but works extremely well, covers everything, and you honestly can barely tell they are there.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 04:43 AM   #8
glangford
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d

I had the dealer throw in the floor liners. They are great.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 05:19 AM   #9
kerplunk38
Rep

This sounds dangerous. To each his own but multiple mats possibly getting lodged under one of the pedals isn't worth my risk.

WeatherTechs are not made of rubber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Personally I HATE rubber mats, looks so ungodly cheap and carpeted mats are rubber backed anyway.

What I always do is get 2-3 thin cheap mats from autozone (thin so they can bend/mold easily) and then cover basically the entire carpet. I usually will take a cheap front mat and lay it up along the tranny tunnel covering all of the carpet up to the console plastics, then I'll usually take a cheap rectangular rear mat and put that in the 90 degree well where the door jamb is to cover those 2-3" of carpet by the door jamb, then on top of those I'll put a regular factory carpeted mat (but i will keep the nice thick embroidered mats for summer, think of the cheapy factory mats your car comes with) on top in the normal place to secure the other two in place.

Sounds horrid, but works extremely well, covers everything, and you honestly can barely tell they are there.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 05:20 AM   #10
kerplunk38
Rep

Same here. They were thrown into my deal. Love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I had the dealer throw in the floor liners. They are great.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 05:31 AM   #11
xit2050
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F30 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk38 View Post
WeatherTechs are not made of rubber.
BMW disagrees... "BMW All Weather Rubber Floor Liners"

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

I had my dealer throw in the sportline all weather (Red) mats, along with the stock carpet mats. I alternate mats depending on season and try to keep it clean.

10-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

I know my method does not jive with conventional wisdom but I use the oem soft carpet mats. The look of the car with these all weather rubber mats leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

With my X5, I had the original carpet mats for about one and a half years before I bought new ones to replace them. I have 2 kids who make a mess but replacing these carpet mats once every one and a half years is not too bad.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #14
3xED
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport 6MT

I'm not a big fan of the Weathertech floor liners. Had them on three different E90s and all had the same issues:
1) Fit is poor - despite claims of "laser fit". They bowed around the edges and didn't conform to the shape of the carpet. They should have been made a little wide so they have an interference fit with the carpet when installed.
2) They soil quickly and are hard to clean. Once the shiny mold release wears off, dirt gets in the grain of the plastic and is very difficult to clean.
3) They're very rigid and hard to remove off the velcro pads. You either pull the pads out of the carpet - or end up spilling the contents all over.
4) Water leaks around the edges - especially the areas around the foot rest and accelerator pedal. The details in these areas aren't well matched - especially compared to the mats designed by BMW.
5) The "Weathertech" logo fell off after less than one year.
I found the genuine "Made in Germany" rubber mats from BMW to be much higher quality. I'm using those on my F30 and am much happier.
It's interesting the BMW rebrands the Weathertech Floor Liner as their own Geniune Accessory...but I'm doubtful that means they're made to Germany's high standards. It appears the Floor Liner rebrand is something done by BMW NA. I'm guessing they just accepted Weathertech's standard design and (low) quality.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
E92Jay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I got a set of the plain black BMW ones on Ebay for $75, brand new still in the BMW packaging. Tried to get my dealer to throw a set in, but they would only give me the carpeted ones. I live in an area where dirt and crud gets in the car daily, so I like these alot, had a set of weathertech's in my M3 and agree that they didn't fit as well.
2015 F80 M3 SSII/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #16
ghostchili
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive

I just ordered the BMW xdrive in beige I didn't realize it was wethertech. Now I'm afaid the beige is just weathertechs "tan" which isn't even close to the beige of the car. Does anyone have the BMW version in beige?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #17
vern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport 2006 X3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34.50 View Post
I had my dealer throw in the sportline all weather (Red) mats, along with the stock carpet mats. I alternate mats depending on season and try to keep it clean.

+1 Very well satisfied with the OEM Sport mats.
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #18
hockeyno93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Xdrive Sportline

I didn't even have to ask for them, the car had the black rubber BMW ones inside the car when I took delivery with the carpet ones in the trunk. I swap them out with the seasons, which reminds me....it's about time to put the rubber ones back in.
      10-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #19
kerplunk38
Rep

You are probably technically right. I'm sure the overall chemical composition includes rubber. These aren't floppy rubber mats that smell bad was really my point.

From WeatherTech's website: "How are the FloorLiners produced and how thick are they?
FloorLiners are vacuum (thermo) formed. Front Floorliners are .120 thousandths of an inch thick and are made up of a patented tri-extruded composition, a rigid core of a Polyethylene material sandwiched between a layer on top and on the bottom of a softer TPO material which provides a nice tactile feel under foot while and a "grippy" friction to the carpet. Kind of like an Oreo sandwich cookie only the hard cookie part is on the inside and the soft part make up the outside! Rear’s and second row Floorliners are around .085 thousandths of an inch thick and are made up of our proprietary TPO material."

Quote:
Originally Posted by xit2050 View Post
BMW disagrees... "BMW All Weather Rubber Floor Liners"

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #20
kerplunk38
Rep

I had them on my previous 2 Lexus cars and absolutely loved them. The fit was perfect and not poor in my experience. No bowing around the edges.

Mine were extremely simple to clean using soap and water most of the time. Windex was the recommended heavy duty cleaner. My tan floor liners still look brand new after 3 years of being in my IS350. I still have them in the garage .

There was never a shiny mold release residue on any of my liners.

My velcro has held solid so far and I remove the liners each week to clean my interior.

No leaks of any kind with any of my WeatherTech liners.

It seems we've had very different experiences or opinions which is to be expected.

I have never tried the "Made In Germany" mats so maybe those are better. WeatherTechs are made in the USA.

Thanks,
Kerplunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xED View Post
I'm not a big fan of the Weathertech floor liners. Had them on three different E90s and all had the same issues:
1) Fit is poor - despite claims of "laser fit". They bowed around the edges and didn't conform to the shape of the carpet. They should have been made a little wide so they have an interference fit with the carpet when installed.
2) They soil quickly and are hard to clean. Once the shiny mold release wears off, dirt gets in the grain of the plastic and is very difficult to clean.
3) They're very rigid and hard to remove off the velcro pads. You either pull the pads out of the carpet - or end up spilling the contents all over.
4) Water leaks around the edges - especially the areas around the foot rest and accelerator pedal. The details in these areas aren't well matched - especially compared to the mats designed by BMW.
5) The "Weathertech" logo fell off after less than one year.
I found the genuine "Made in Germany" rubber mats from BMW to be much higher quality. I'm using those on my F30 and am much happier.
It's interesting the BMW rebrands the Weathertech Floor Liner as their own Geniune Accessory...but I'm doubtful that means they're made to Germany's high standards. It appears the Floor Liner rebrand is something done by BMW NA. I'm guessing they just accepted Weathertech's standard design and (low) quality.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #21
kerplunk38
Rep

I am guessing they will be WeatherTech beige.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostchili View Post
I just ordered the BMW xdrive in beige I didn't realize it was wethertech. Now I'm afaid the beige is just weathertechs "tan" which isn't even close to the beige of the car. Does anyone have the BMW version in beige?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #22
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34.50 View Post

I use these as they were thrown in as well. My only complaint is that the velcro portion on the bottom has come completely off. The glue/resin must have degraded with constant heating/cooling. Other than that (which is not a big deal) the mats are fantastic and clean up very nicely. I don't prefer carpet because one step in some loose dirt and they are no longer clean and the black really shows the dirt.