F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Need help just picked up F30 blemish on center console dealer wont replace
Studio RSR

10-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
doubletap
Rep
Drives: e36 e39 e53 f30

Need help just picked up F30 blemish on center console dealer wont replace

I just picked up my brand new F30 3 weeks ago. Two days after, I noticed a discoloration/scratch on center console and a peeling spot on the steering wheel. I called the dealer to set an appt which is a few weeks away. Dropped off car only to be told that "scratches" are not covered and that it has a few hundred miles already. I explained that I wanted to drop off the car asap but the dealership is booked. I asked for the service manager and no avail. I called BMW and they said scratches are not covered. What I dont get is lets say a car gets damaged during pdi or detailing, nobody will take the responsibility for the damage may it be a dent or a scratch? To top it off when I picked up the car on a friday it was filthy with a hand print on the inside of my passenger side window. I just had window film installed a few days before. I will post pics soon.
Attached Images

Last edited by doubletap; 10-25-2013 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Be persistent, and the same time respectful. Hopefully they will help you. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 03:07 AM   #3
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Hard to see what you are talking about without pictures. Sometimes you can tell if the issue is a defect in the material (such as the peeling) or if it has been damaged in some way. From the dealer's perspective, the car was pristine when you took possession, and it is likely something you did scratched the material. It is possible it happened before delivery,you are going to have difficulty proving that. Posting pictures here may help us give you better advice.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
infinitigor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C, 2010 E350

make sure you get that review dealer email and give them bad reviews. or threaten to give bad reviews, they get their pay doced for bad reviews. i once didnt get something replaced under warranty that was clearly a defect, after a bad review they started calling / pleading to help me out.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
Dan's 335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I would advise your dealer that you plan on running it through another dealer and you will not only continue patronizing the new dealer but will recommended the new dealer to friends and family.

A friendly dealer will replace defective parts regardless on a few days and a few hundred miles. They want you to come back!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
If it was clearly damage and not a defect, you shouldn't have waited so long. Damage to a car that was just purchased needs to be handled by the sales department. If it was damage prior to your delivery, you should have contacted your sales person and sales manager immediately. The service department only handle warranty issues unless you want to pay out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
aporzio
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Sport

if all else fails get in touch with the better business bureau
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aporzio View Post
if all else fails get in touch with the better business bureau
haha seriously?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
aporzio
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Sport

yes, BMW NA is a US company. BBB has helped companies to be more co-operative many times for me
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

Crap. It is so hard to be disciplined and do the "preflight" when taking delivery.
Once you sign on the dotted line, your leverage is diminished.
      10-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

If anything else, after viewing the forum as a whole, one should realize that BMW's Quality Control is not what many think it is. And then you have the Transport Company and Dealer in the mix as well, before you take possession.

Before I took possession of my BMW, I had an Independent Detailer who I have used to maintain the car as well as a Classic Car Collector go over the car from top to bottom, in addition to my Inspection - both inside the showroom under artificial lights as well as outside in Natural Sunlight.

My rear bumper was painted 3 times before i took possession and I would accept it (and the Detailer and Classic Car collector could not find any signs that it was painted).

Not an excuse, but no one is going to be as critical of your car as you will.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
Sp82
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5/G30 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
If anything else, after viewing the forum as a whole, one should realize that BMW's Quality Control is not what many think it is. And then you have the Transport Company and Dealer in the mix as well, before you take possession.

Before I took possession of my BMW, I had an Independent Detailer who I have used to maintain the car as well as a Classic Car Collector go over the car from top to bottom, in addition to my Inspection - both inside the showroom under artificial lights as well as outside in Natural Sunlight.

My rear bumper was painted 3 times before i took possession and I would accept it (and the Detailer and Classic Car collector could not find any signs that it was painted).

wow!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post

If you had the inspectors who found nothing, how'd you know it was repainted once, let alone three times?
      10-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
If you had the inspectors who found nothing, how'd you know it was repainted once, let alone three times?
I made them repaint it 3 times to my satisfaction after defects were found.

BMW NA makes the dealer pay for any cosmetic issues not noted on the release form as the truckers drop it off.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #15
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
I made them repaint it 3 times to my satisfaction after defects were found.

BMW NA makes the dealer pay for any cosmetic issues not noted on the release form as the truckers drop it off.
You should have had it repainted a fourth time. Even numbers are better.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
NordicBob
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 Sapphire Black metallic

Many years ago I bought a new Toyota Celica, my first new car. I drove it home that evening from the dealer and parked it in my garage. The next morning I noticed that the back bumper was loose. I did not bump into anything and there were no scratches on the bumper. I immediately brought it back to the dealer the next morning to report the issue and ask them to repair it under warrantee. They told me that I would have to pay for it as I must have accidentally bumped into something which I knew was not true. I then wrote a detailed letter to Toyota USA about the incident that I had with my dealer and their unwillingness to repair it at no cost. Within a week I got a letter from Toyota USA that told me to bring my new car back to the dealer to schedule an appointment for a free repair and a copy of a letter that they sent my dealer ordering them to fix my bumper a no cost to me.

If I were you I would write BMW directly about the details of your problem In hopes that they might order your dealer to repair your blemishes at no cost. In your situation I don't know if it would help, but it is worth a try

Good luck.
      10-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #17
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Sorry to say they don't owe you anything unless it's a bonafide defect. It's your responsibility to inspect a new car top to bottom prior to taking delivery. If you find anything wrong, the dealer will document whatever is required on a "we owe" form which can be handled/corrected at a later date. If you signed on the dotted line and trotted out the door it's all yours. Making a fuss is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #18
doubletap
Rep
Drives: e36 e39 e53 f30

I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a new trim and not come back to that dealership. I have purchased 5 bmw's from them. What gets me is that I have friends who had e90 and had their inner door handles, door sills and complete center console replaced with around 30k miles for free under warranty due to scratches. So inconsistent on customer service.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 01:35 AM   #19
aspensilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540I E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletap View Post
I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a new trim and not come back to that dealership. I have purchased 5 bmw's from them. What gets me is that I have friends who had e90 and had their inner door handles, door sills and complete center console replaced with around 30k miles for free under warranty due to scratches. So inconsistent on customer service.

That stinks, sorry to hear that. What dealership if you don't mind? I'm in the East Bay
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 03:04 AM   #20
phillye30fanboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mustang EB PP, 86 Notch

If it wasn't pointed out at time of delivery, then the dealer can't assume liability for something that most likely arose during your two days of ownership.

Last edited by phillye30fanboy; 10-26-2013 at 03:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 05:43 AM   #21
Dave340
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3

Vacuum Hose Over Center Console Lesson Learned

I have similar scratches (scratches are right to left near the edge), but it was my fault. My trip down to Florida in 2012 I used one of those vacuum cleaners at the self service car washes and I dragged the hose over the center console.

I contacted the dealer when I got home and their quote, "The estimate to replace the center console trim is $245.00 installed." I decided not to spend the money.

So the money to replace the console is minimal to the dealer since the $245 has margin.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #22
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletap View Post

That was because they had determined that the soft touch coating they were using on interior surfaces wasn't holding up. It was essentially a design flaw. It didn't matter how careful you were. It would still scratch and peel.
Appreciate 0