M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

10-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Question Post 1200 mile break-in running

Just had the break-in completed at 1265 miles.

Handbook states that during 1200 to 3100 miles, engine & road speed can be gradually increased to a consistent speed of 137 mph.

My question is that, as the car is now no longer running on temporary fluids, is it OK to hold the car at constant speeds, say via the cruise control for prolonged periods of time (could be implied from the statement from the handbook above)?

What have must others done? Continue to vary engine/road speeds or adopt a more economical driving style and what is the resultant engine oil consumption?

Last edited by Dionysus; 10-20-2013 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

In case anyone is interested, I got the following response from BMW Product Marketing (indirectly): -

"If the customer has had their running in service they are able to hold continuous speeds using the cruise control (under the 137mph stated)"
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

so I guess, on 3100 Miles we dont need to do any service or what so ever?
just directly break free and kill the road?

do you have any information about the disabilities of Launch control before 2000KM?

thanks,
      10-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
so I guess, on 3100 Miles we dont need to do any service or what so ever?
just directly break free and kill the road?

do you have any information about the disabilities of Launch control before 2000KM?

thanks,
The fluids are changed at the '1200' mile break-in and then the engine oil as indicated by the 'next scheduled maintenance' (mine is currently showing 17000 miles to go until next scheduled oil change at a total of 1640 miles done so far, which including break-in). BMW do not specify a need to service at 3100 miles in the handbook.

If you are intending to drive the car hard most of the time or do lots of cold stop-starts/short journeys, then your next scheduled maintenance is likely t be a lot lower than mine (and will adjust to your driving style/conditions, so may change with time), thus, IMO no need to do unscheduled services, however, I believe some members change oil regularly at 6000 miles or so and some changed at 3100 miles.

When I had my E46 M3 break-in completed I was advised by the master technician that I could do short bursts of full throttle (with warm engine) and to try and avoid sustained hard use for engine longevity. I was not advised the same for the M5, however, intend to do the same regardless since the engine produces over 125 hp per litre.

I'm not intending to use launch control, however, I'm sure someone who has can comment on conditions of use.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
The fluids are changed at the '1200' mile break-in and then the engine oil as indicated by the 'next scheduled maintenance' (mine is currently showing 17000 miles to go until next scheduled oil change at a total of 1640 miles done so far, which including break-in). BMW do not specify a need to service at 3100 miles in the handbook.

If you are intending to drive the car hard most of the time or do lots of cold stop-starts/short journeys, then your next scheduled maintenance is likely t be a lot lower than mine (and will adjust to your driving style/conditions, so may change with time), thus, IMO no need to do unscheduled services, however, I believe some members change oil regularly at 6000 miles or so and some changed at 3100 miles.

When I had my E46 M3 break-in completed I was advised by the master technician that I could do short bursts of full throttle (with warm engine) and to try and avoid sustained hard use for engine longevity. I was not advised the same for the M5, however, intend to do the same regardless since the engine produces over 125 hp per litre.

I'm not intending to use launch control, however, I'm sure someone who has can comment on conditions of use.
Yes, i will also not do launch control, i believe it really reduce car's longevity. however just wondering and curious to see the race flag on the gauge

thanks for the info