F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Help: F30 Regular Seats
ARMA SPEED

10-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Help: F30 Regular Seats

Anyone else notice that the regular seats inside the F30 don't tilt upwards as much as other manufacturers seats? When I say seat, I mean the actual seat part, the surface your butt sits on. Not the back part.

That's the only darn thing that's preventing me from purchasing a nice F30. It feels like my upper thighs aren't supported because they're not touching the seat. It makes me feel like I'm sliding off my seat and down into my foot well. Add a tad more angle and it'd be perfect. Is there any modification, short of putting a rolled towel under my thighs, out there that can change this?

I know a lot of people are fans of the sport seats, but that's not really an option for me. I felt the side bolsters on the sport seat were very uncomfortable against my torso.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
pazzo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 Glacier Silver

I find that the seat extension helps greatly in support of the legs and the tilt is sufficient.

2017 F48 xDrive Glacier Silver
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep

The seat extension isn't the problem. It can stretch a mile, but if my upper thighs aren't touching it, it's only supporting air.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
CLittle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Luxury

Did you tilt the seats as far as they go? Maybe lifting the seat height would help too. If not, then maybe you are sitting too close to the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
jc
Rep
Drives: 535i

The seats in the f30 are poor compared to the e90. They have obviously tried to shed weight from them.

Are the 4 series convertible seats a new seat?

The current seat isn't good enough - the pics seem to suggest the convertible has better padding?

anyone?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO
Anyone else notice that the regular seats inside the F30 don't tilt upwards as much as other manufacturers seats? When I say seat, I mean the actual seat part, the surface your butt sits on. Not the back part.

That's the only darn thing that's preventing me from purchasing a nice F30. It feels like my upper thighs aren't supported because they're not touching the seat. It makes me feel like I'm sliding off my seat and down into my foot well. Add a tad more angle and it'd be perfect. Is there any modification, short of putting a rolled towel under my thighs, out there that can change this?

I know a lot of people are fans of the sport seats, but that's not really an option for me. I felt the side bolsters on the sport seat were very uncomfortable against my torso.
You can widen the side bolsters on the sport seats

Traded 9-1-13 '13 Estoril Blue II F30 - 328i - ZMM - ZPP -ZDY - ZTB - 403 - 465 - 494 - 4DX- LC (Black) - 6NL
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
BLUEFIRE
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 328i luxuryline 2013

I bought F30 328i luxury line with standard seats because I had no problem with my other car E90 316i with standard seats. I don't feel comfortable with F30 standart seats because you can't give proper angle for the part that you seat on and I felt the same thing as you. I parked E90 near F30 and made the lowest position in both seats than I sew that E 90 seat has more angle. Second problem: The upholstery is more wider than E90. I'm sliding from the seat upholstrey in the curves although I have normal body sizes (179 cm., 75 kg.). Lateral supports are not enough a specially upside parts. You will have this problem when you buy and start to drive. (You can not understand in the gallery and test drive). So I strongly offer you to buy F30 with sport seats. If you don't inflate the lateral supports I thınk you wıll feel comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep

Interesting. I sat in the sport seats this weekend and they were an improvement over the standard seats. They did seem to angle the bottom seat portion just slightly more. Plus, the side bolsters were't as bad as I previously remembered.

The only way to get the sport seats on an 328xdrive is to order sports Line or MSport line, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 01:58 AM   #9
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
Interesting. I sat in the sport seats this weekend and they were an improvement over the standard seats. They did seem to angle the bottom seat portion just slightly more. Plus, the side bolsters were't as bad as I previously remembered.

The only way to get the sport seats on an 328xdrive is to order sports Line or MSport line, right?
Have you played with the tilt. You can get some significant tilt going. The seat cushion tilts both fore and aft.

Yes, sport seats are only on the Sport and M Sport lines.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Every time I read a thread on this subject I feel like I need to apologize. BMW clearly came into my bedroom and measured me while I was asleep for the seat dimensions. Creepy as all get out, but they fit me like a glove. My only complaint is the minimal side-bolstering.

I had a loaner with Sport Seats and I still liked them better, though.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #11
WHL102
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 GTI S, DSG, 4-Door

Quote:

In my '14 320Xi, I got the sport seats as part of the "Sport Package" on my "base" line. It includes anthracite headliner, sport steering wheel, sport seats, black kidney grilles, rear spoiler (RIP to mine!), and 18" style 396 rims with A/S tires. The RWD version gets the M sport suspension and staggered style 398 w/ mixed-perf tires. I think you are correct about the 328 and higher models.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #12
Stoofpilot
Naval Aviator
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I also am greatly disappoint ted in the side bolstering of the standard seats. It's like no side support art all. legs just slide off the side of the seats.
      04-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #13
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:

Not sure if you're aware, but you adjust the tilt of the seat cushion by rotating/twisting the lever that raises the seat up and down. I suspect many people aren't aware of this since it's a change from earlier models and somewhat non-intuitive.

IMHO the sport seats are definitely for people who are on the slimmer side. If you're a big guy or a gym rat with wide shoulders and big lats, be sure to spend some time in the sport seats to make sure they fit before buying.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 03:45 PM   #14
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yea, believe me, I figured out how to adjust the sport seat. I played with it for a long time at the NY Auto show. I compared it with other makes/models. I think the sport seat tilts better than the regular seat.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #15
russellsdad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition xDrive SPY

When I first test drove a 335i at dealer couple months back, I drove a non-sport model. The seats definitely did not seem to tilt nor raise high enough for my taste. Was actually somewhat concerned about that prior to buying my car. But as soon as I sat in a model with sport seats, I was very happy with the tilt and height adjustment. So definitely the sport seats made a huge difference and is a must for me.

Note that I am a short guy of regular build I would say. So width of the seat bolsters was not an issue for me. I actually prefer the bolsters very snug. Reminds me of my old A1 GTI recaro-style seats.
2015 Maserati GranTurismo Sport, Bianco Eldorado
Appreciate 0