E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How long will my paint protection hold up?

10-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
PascalsWager
Cognitive
Rep
Drives: '06 330i TiAg

How long will my paint protection hold up?

I just completed a semi-detail (claybar, sealant and 2 coats of wax, no polish). I took my time and did everything meticulously. Tons of work, but my paint is popping and smooth as a baby's bottom Apologies for the lack of pics.

How long should this paint protection last, assuming washing 1-2 weeks and occasional car cover use?

Search and sponsor sites indicate +/- 6 mos. I have a feeling I'll have the itch to do a new years' touch-up

Note that I live in a coastal area and the car is (sadly, temp.) parked outdoors. No salt on the roads in the winter, but its in the air and fog.

Thanks crew,

-PW
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
E902009
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

6 months is about right, but the environment that it's exposed to and how often is also a major factor. For me, I clay bar all of my cars twice a year, once in the fall, once more in the spring. I then follow it up with a good coat of wax. I'm nowhere near as hardcore about detailing my cars as some people here, but like you, I take the time to do it right.

I would say semi-annually is a good routine.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Claying is not always necessary. The environment your car is subjected to, how the vehicle is stored and how much use its subjected to is criteria needed to judge the need for surface decontamination, it’s not necessarily an annual or bi-annual requirement

To verify if your vehicle is in need of claying conduct the ‘Bag Test’-after washing and drying your vehicle place a plastic sandwich bag over your hand or fingers, gently pass over the surface. Does the surface feel silky smooth or rough and gritty? If you felt roughness and/or grit, your surface is contaminated

An extract from a TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Article - “Detailer’s Clay” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ml#post1459468

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Articles, these informational resources contain everything you’ll ever want to know about automotive detailing and are an invaluable addition to your detailing knowledge base -. http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...yperlinks.html

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
PTek Will
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

You should be able to get 4-6 months of protection with what you put on your car. Sealants usually last 4-5 months and most waxes around 2 months (exception: collinite). I would reapply your protection in 4 months. As TOGWT said, you can be the judge of wether you need to clay again in 4 months or if you want to wait longer. I probably wouldn't wait until the next application if you space them out 4 months apart. I don't see any harm being done if you want to add another coat of wax on for New Years
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

Maybe 3 months ....
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
miker2013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi 6mt Msport coupe

I ALWAYS clay the flat surfaces regardless of baggie test... it is fast, easy, cheap, does a great job of final prep before polish or sealing... if you go right to seal/wax after clay, be sure to wipe care down with car eraser pro to make sure you have nice surface to seal to
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
PascalsWager
Cognitive
Rep
Drives: '06 330i TiAg

Thanks for the replies.

The weather can get pretty harsh here on the coast so I'm going to err on the safe side and touch up in January with a full-bore detail (wheel wells, wheels, engine bay and of course clay/polish/seal/wax) in the Spring.

The silver fox may be a DD, but she's gonna remain a stunner.

'Preesh

-PW
Appreciate 0