F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > bird crap removal and looks as if it etched the clear coat
ARMA SPEED

10-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
rwilson3944
Rep
Drives: 2013 328I M-Sport

bird crap removal and looks as if it etched the clear coat

While at work today a bird left a suprise on my roof after cleaning it with water it looks as if it etched into the clear coat or paint. What do i use to remedy this? If you look at the correct angle you can see a spot about the size of quarter that is dull and faded. Tried waxing the area but that did absolutely nothing but make everything around it look better. What should I use to get rid of it?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I don't know, but I'm going to watch this thread to see if someone does know. Did you clay bar before waxing?

WTH was that bird eating? I've never had less than 24 hours worth of delay cause as much damage as you have had happen.

Good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
mattj3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Garage List
There are a couple threads on this, sometimes under scratch removal.

I have the same problem on my wife's X3 - probably 50 marks on her hood. Birds must have had a buffet of berries and target practice. Naturally, she didn't tell me her car was excessively dirty, so I discovered it after two days in the sun. Tried compound and polish to no avail.

Some say the clear coat will fix itself in enough UV (clear coats are now self healing apparently). So I'm giving it some time. If that doesn't work, I'm very carefully going to try wet sanding, then compound and polish. Apparently this is the step I was missing. You have to smooth the clear coat out. What I've read is use 3M 2000 then 3000 wet/dry sandpaper lightly with a quick detailer - it has to stay wet while your sanding. Then use compound and finish with polish. Check YouTube as well - there are lots of videos, and it doesn't look difficult, just requires patience and extra care.

See this thread, first comment on page 2 is a detailed solution.
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...errerid=206469
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
kakeuter
Rep
Drives: G35x

Depending on the level of etching that is present, there's a few ways to fix it.

1. Compound the area with a dual action polisher (or rotary) and follow up with a finish polish.
2. May have to lightly sand the area to remove the defects, then repeat step one to remove the sanding marks.

This is always best left to a professional detailer, if either of the above steps are not followed correctly you will end up with a much worse situation than just the etching.

Once it is properly repaired, it needs to be properly protected. The good thing about Opti-Coat is that it does a great job protecting the clear coat from bird etchings. Although the bird droppings might etch opti-coat, the repair is much easier to fix than if the car is not opti-coated.

-Kody-
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattj3 View Post

Some say the clear coat will fix itself in enough UV (clear coats are now self healing apparently).
There may be some truth to this. In the past, I've noticed bird poop stains eventually fade/disappear with a little time (..and a few washes). I guess it depends on how bad the stain is.
Appreciate 0