F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Hit a curb...need help!
GetBMWParts

10-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
xcantuaj
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Hit a curb...need help!

I hit a curb and damaged two wheels and all kinds of parts that hold wheel in place. $1600 without replacing any of the wheels. The person before me had the wheel and tire protection but dealer said if tire is holding air then wheels won't be replaced. Should I just get my insurance to cover everything including wheels? Will my insurance rate go thru the roof?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
t335xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Sedan Sprt Line ppk

First off stop driving drunk

I would have the insurance cover that one since its probably 2000$ over your 500$ deductible. You would want to ask your agent how it would effect your policy price in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
328AL
Lieutenant
Belarus
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcantuaj View Post
I hit a curb and damaged two wheels and all kinds of parts that hold wheel in place. $1600 without replacing any of the wheels. The person before me had the wheel and tire protection but dealer said if tire is holding air then wheels won't be replaced. Should I just get my insurance to cover everything including wheels? Will my insurance rate go thru the roof?
What is your insurance deductible?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
xcantuaj
Rep

$500...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Eric SS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Chevy SS Sedan

Tire and wheel protection won't cover curb checking anyway If that's what you told them you did. It's only for road hazards. Go through your insurance
2023 X3M Comp: current
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
BL 5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3 REx, 2018 Tesla P3D

Let your insurance company handle the whole thing. There's a change they'll find more damage. You'll pay your collision deductible, and that should be it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Eh...count me as one on the other side of this...unless you're having insurance pay for more than approx 3k, the jump in your premium over the forseeable future will be more than the one time payout. Especially because this would be viewed as an at fault comprehensive claim. I guess it depends on how long you've had the carrier and whether they will give you "accident forgiveness," but you'll still be viewed as a higher risk by the underwriter. I've read some about this where a 2k claim is viewed the same as a 10k claim when they go to renew your policy, on the other hand, the effect will be different if you look to buy a new policy from a different carrier.

IMO, I'd just pay out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
ft1339
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Eh...count me as one on the other side of this...unless you're having insurance pay for more than approx 3k, the jump in your premium over the forseeable future will be more than the one time payout. Especially because this would be viewed as an at fault comprehensive claim. I guess it depends on how long you've had the carrier and whether they will give you "accident forgiveness," but you'll still be viewed as a higher risk by the underwriter. I've read some about this where a 2k claim is viewed the same as a 10k claim when they go to renew your policy, on the other hand, the effect will be different if you look to buy a new policy from a different carrier.

Don't know.... Totalled a car at fault, claim was 15k, premium increase will be only 10% for 3 years. Hardly 3k. Went straight to the insurance to see what could be done, and they could magically adjust my premium to be the same as before despite the 10% hike by "more accurately" reporting the number of miles driven. Which I thought were correctly reported when we got the insurance years ago. Go figure, I guess I like my insurance now

I don't think I would pay out of pocket or your insurance is of no use. You need to make these $$$ count. Ask them for a simulation/quote if you processed this claim and you'll see.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
Eric SS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Chevy SS Sedan

Quote:

I kinda agree with you. Above, I said let the insurance handle it. OP said he has a $500 deductible. Your rationale is exactly why I carry a $1000 ded. Anything less than that and I don't want to make a claim anyway. Any time I see a deductible lower than that, I assume the person will use insurance for small claims.
2023 X3M Comp: current
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

OP: I hope you mean a kerb or is it different in the USA or even more so in Tea Party Country?
      10-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #11
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1339 View Post
Don't know.... Totalled a car at fault, claim was 15k, premium increase will be only 10% for 3 years. Hardly 3k. Went straight to the insurance to see what could be done, and they could magically adjust my premium to be the same as before despite the 10% hike by "more accurately" reporting the number of miles driven. Which I thought were correctly reported when we got the insurance years ago. Go figure, I guess I like my insurance now

I don't think I would pay out of pocket or your insurance is of no use. You need to make these $$$ count. Ask them for a simulation/quote if you processed this claim and you'll see.
Guessing it just really depends on your policy, history, life state etc. I got in a serious at fault fender bender in my S4 less than a year ago and 6 month premium jumped from 600 to about 1k. Payout on claim was around 6k with my 1k deductable. I didn't have a very long history with the company (geico) and am single with a pretty fast car (debatable here lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I kinda agree with you. Above, I said let the insurance handle it. OP said he has a $500 deductible. Your rationale is exactly why I carry a $1000 ded. Anything less than that and I don't want to make a claim anyway. Any time I see a deductible lower than that, I assume the person will use insurance for small claims.
I think it just really varies from case to case. There are instances where it does nothing to the premium *but* there has to be a business case for them to keep it that way. I know the internet is the land of the 5k below invoice car purchase or flipped my 3 year old house for 150%...but come on guys...insurance companies use some pretty sophisticated statistical tools to make money in the end. I agree that best bet is to go with higher deductable and only use insurance when absolutely needed...like totaled car or a deer hitting you.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
328AL
Lieutenant
Belarus
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 Loaded

Talk to your insurance agent, it does depend on your policy and your insurance company. Some companies will look at your Claim history in its totality, some companies will use accident forgiveness, some companies will have a limit that they have in order not to increase your policy, and some companies would charge you increased premium no matter what.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:

+1

I can't see what the point would be to claim for just $1600 worth of at fault damage to just wheels and tires. So long as it's clear there's no frame/suspension damage, I'd just pay for it myself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328AL View Post
Talk to your insurance agent, it does depend on your policy and your insurance company. Some companies will look at your Claim history in its totality, some companies will use accident forgiveness, some companies will have a limit that they have in order not to increase your policy, and some companies would charge you increased premium no matter what.
+1 Besidesl, it's almost a given that one's premium will increase to some degree every year anyway, claim or no claim.

As I said, above, I'd just pay myself, but talking with your agent isn't a bad thing to do before actually deciding to file a claim.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #15
xcantuaj
Rep

Two wheels were damaged....so a total of $2600 plus car rental fees. Insurance company said my rate would go up 10 percent. So a couple of dollars a month. Ill make them pay for it. If my rate goes up after after filling claim then it should go down for not ever filing a claim....but it doesn't...scammers.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #16
ft1339
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i soon

Quote:
Two wheels were damaged....so a total of $2600 plus car rental fees. Insurance company said my rate would go up 10 percent. So a couple of dollars a month. Ill make them pay for it. If my rate goes up after after filling claim then it should go down for not ever filing a claim....but it doesn't...scammers.
There you go 10% just like me. It actually does go down for not filing a claim (good driver credit). Not that it's much. Insurance is like that..... Still people are rarely going to chose not to carry it so it must have its merits.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #17
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
You better drive like an old lady for the next 3 years then. If you get a speeding ticket, no matter how minor, after filing this claim, you will have wished you had not filed.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #18
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I carry a $250 deductible and have not made and have zero intention of filing a claim... i've been with state farm so long they really go out of their way to make my life more pleasant... that and my monthly premium would've changed less than $10 a month for a $500 deductible...

I'm the polar opposite, when i see someone with a $1000+ a month deductible, i assume the person just wanted lower monthly premiums...

But back to the ops question, it really boils down to what the total is for the damages and if your premiums will go up... i can tell you what most people around here do if they have tire / wheel coverage, it involves a nail and some manual labor, lol... jk...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #19
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Make sure the dealer/shop checks for all damage....I hit a curb a year ago - control arm and 2 wheels/tires replaced.....car went in to dealer for oil change yesterday and they called to tell me it had a bent wheel bearing which then caused the rotor to warp -- $2200 to fix....insurance is going to do a supplemental claim, but it took some "discussions" back and forth as they said I probably just hit a pot hole in the last year sometime.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #20
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I carry a $250 deductible and have not made and have zero intention of filing a claim.

I'm the polar opposite, when i see someone with a $1000+ a month deductible, i assume the person just wanted lower monthly premiums...
Uh...so you have an extremely low deductible, have never made a claim (and never want to), and look down on people who have large deductibles so they can have lower payments?

Unless I'm missing something, it's obvious why state farm goes out of their way to keep you on board
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #21
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Uh...so you have an extremely low deductible, have never made a claim (and never want to), and look down on people who have large deductibles so they can have lower payments?

Unless I'm missing something, it's obvious why state farm goes out of their way to keep you on board
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #22
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:

actually, that was in direct response to someone who stated that he looks at people who have low deductibles as people that will make claims... if you also read through the entire post, you'd note that i have made claims and my lower deductible hardly changed my monthly premiums... thirdly, the deductible was only lowered this year, so before then i was in the $500 and before that $1000 deductible group... lastly, state farm took care of me even when the deductible was higher... so in a nutshell, yeah, you are missing something...
Appreciate 0