Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
CurbBender'90
S
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 S65

M4 Sound System

I'm really hoping they make the Bang & Olufsen available for this coupe. it's part of the M Division for christ sakes!!! All of the other M cars get this option, so for 2014 let's get it in there. BMW really should offer this for ALL the levels of there brand. Audi already has done right I think by offering it to their customers. If this B&O does make it, the M4 will be the PERFECT car inside and out!! Anyone else feel the B&O should make its way to the M3/4 segment?
      10-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Instead, I feel that M should offer the option of deleting the audio completely or offer a lightweight audio system. It is a performance car at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

I'd take whatever premium audio is offered, preferably B&O.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
CurbBender'90
S
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83
Instead, I feel that M should offer the option of deleting the audio completely or offer a lightweight audio system. It is a performance car at the end of the day.
For the purist, yes I agree with this.
      10-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
Why so worried about sound system options?

It's already been confirmed that the "Active Sound" feature will have the engine note sound just as good no matter which system you have.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
gymtime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
Why so worried about sound system options?

It's already been confirmed that the "Active Sound" feature will have the engine note sound just as good no matter which system you have.
Ya apparently the engine will not sound any better with the B&O
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
performance car, sure, but that's not to say it shouldn't have a stereo. the M3 is all about balance in terms of performance, daily driveability, comfort and convenience. too much of any of those things, and others suffer.

if you want a stripped down track car, you're barking up the wrong tree.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef
Quote:
performance car, sure, but that's not to say it shouldn't have a stereo. the M3 is all about balance in terms of performance, daily driveability, comfort and convenience. too much of any of those things, and others suffer.

if you want a stripped down track car, you're barking up the wrong tree.
Never said it shouldn't have a stereo, as I did state that it could be an option.

An all round everyday performance car need not have a heavy audio system to be a good all rounder; a lightweight high quality 2-speaker system could be sufficient in providing decent sound for those not needing the absolute best in audio quality, but wanting to save a little weight but not completely sacrificing creature comforts.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

Quote:
Never said it shouldn't have a stereo, as I did state that it could be an option.

An all round everyday performance car need not have a heavy audio system to be a good all rounder; a lightweight high quality 2-speaker system could be sufficient in providing decent sound for those not needing the absolute best in audio quality, but wanting to save a little weight but not completely sacrificing creature comforts.
Unfortunately that is not what the vast majority of BMW M3/4 customers want so no doubt it would be a loss-maker cos no-one would opt for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #10
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy335 View Post
Unfortunately that is not what the vast majority of BMW M3/4 customers want so no doubt it would be a loss-maker cos no-one would opt for it.
That's just not going to happen in the US. It won't happen anywhere unless BMW really decides to come out with a CSL/GTS version later.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 01:29 AM   #11
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

Pretty sure they will have B&O as an upgrade option. Don't count on it as standard though.
      10-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #12
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:

Gotta jump in here. Good music to go along w/ your sports car makes sense. Hell, the upgraded stereo is one of the only options I got in my car. And LOVE 8 (or was it 10) speaker system when jamming around town alone and with my kids. Doesn't take anything away from my cars' tossability or distraction from the driving experience.

Now, do we need a 200lb, 1,000 watt 'system'? No.

If you want to focus on removing superfluous tech - make idrive delete-able. Twitter, email, facebook, right in the middle of your dash?? c'mon!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 06:19 AM   #13
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
Pretty sure they will have B&O as an upgrade option. Don't count on it as standard though.
Thats what I am thinking as well. But we will just have to wait and see.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #14
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

BMW is definitely going to upcharge for a brand name sound system.

That being said, these upgrades are often 5-7% the value of the car and the stock sound system is quite good. For an audiophile who perhaps has a $2k system at home, a $3k B&O system in their car might take the sound system from a 7/10 to a 9/10.

For a non-audiophile, it might be less since it's simply less noticeable.

To me I've cranked BMW's stock sound system, at high speed, windows down or up, and it sounds great for my needs. No way I would sink another $3-4k for the upgraded system assuming the M3 uses the same stock sound sysetm as the 335.

Besides which, I'm already paying for an upgraded sound system in the m3
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #15
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
I had the B & O system in my 2011 S4. It was the best sound system I have ever heard in a car. Clear, crisp, good bass and midrange and I liked it a lot more than the Premium/Optional sound system I ordered in my 2012 E92 M3. I hope this is an option in the new M3/M4.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #16
CurbBender'90
S
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB
I had the B & O system in my 2011 S4. It was the best sound system I have ever heard in a car. Clear, crisp, good bass and midrange and I liked it a lot more than the Premium/Optional sound system I ordered in my 2012 E92 M3. I hope this is an option in the new M3/M4.