BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

10-16-2007, 07:05 AM   #1
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

USB, iPod and i-tunes

Just found out that, because songs downloaded from i-tunes are encoded using Apple's protected AAC codec, they do not play on anything other than an iPod. Including the USB interface on my car!!! I've just spent almost £50 downloading songs to listen to whilst driving, only to find out that they don't show up via the car interface, so I can't play them. I'm very grumpy with Apple right now...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 07:31 AM   #2
TheRealDC
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

iPod

Hey FM.

I've been researching iPod connectivity and getting throughly confused by the whole thing . From what I can work out the BMW kit seems to be universally slated for several issues (not just the encryption problem). However, I've reached the conclusion that I'll just go with a charger/mount and an aux in connection, as I can't satisfy myself that the current crop of 3rd party options is any great deal better than the BMW option. This should avoid the AAC problem also. However, I'd love to be able to have my iPod integrate fully with the in-car systems, so if anyone else knows of an affordable i.e sub-£200 interface that can do this I'd be delighted to know ....

DC
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDC View Post
However, I'd love to be able to have my iPod integrate fully with the in-car systems, so if anyone else knows of an affordable i.e sub-£200 interface that can do this I'd be delighted to know ....

DC
DC, do you have option 6FL (i.e. the USB port), like FilthyMonkey does? If so you can get a special cable from BMW that will allow the iPod to integrate with your car (including proteced AAC tracks) just as you wish. See here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45991
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
Just found out that, because songs downloaded from i-tunes are encoded using Apple's protected AAC codec, they do not play on anything other than an iPod.
True, but iPods are not too expensive compared to an M3 I hear you though.

Also, there are some tracks that allow you to pay a bit extra to have the copy protection removed. I haven't used this feature though, so I know little about it. Also, it may be US only.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 08:45 AM   #5
mhutchins14
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MG 2017 340i, 6sp, MPPSK

I'm confused...Are you saying that that you got the dealer supplied cable that hides your iPod in your glove box, and that set up doesn't allow you to play iTunes downloaded music? The reason I ask is that I got that set up on my '03 E46 M3 and I am able to play the iTunes downloaded music.

Is this something new with the E92 M or did I somehow just luck out with my set up?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 09:18 AM   #6
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

http://www.softpedia.com/get/IPOD-TO...airTunes.shtml
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
This link leads to a DRM-stripping program that automatically updates your iTunes databases, etc. and is still being updated. Works with the latest iTunes. It annoys me when I can't used my legally purchased music in a legally permissible manner due to DRM.

http://hymn-project.org/
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins14 View Post
I'm confused...Are you saying that that you got the dealer supplied cable that hides your iPod in your glove box, and that set up doesn't allow you to play iTunes downloaded music? The reason I ask is that I got that set up on my '03 E46 M3 and I am able to play the iTunes downloaded music.
No.

The setup you have only applies to the E46. Actually, there is a similar dealer installed option for the E9X for the first couple years of production, but that's largely defunct/antiquated now.

For the E9X, as of this past March, there is a factory option (6FL) for a USB port which will allow you to play music from any USB device just by plugging it in. In addition, through the use of a special cable that BMW sells (and which it appears neither RealDC or FilthyMonkey have) you can also connect an iPod and play DRM'd tracks from it. If you do not have this special cable, you can still connect an iPod but only non-DRM'd tracks will be visible and playable. In addition, in that situation, and with any other non-iPod device plugged in via USB, the interface is not nearly as feature laiden and user friendly (it basically just creates a menu of all the audio files on the device).
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 10:38 AM   #9
ChinoOrtega
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

The USB interface will work with the I phone to get the best out of it, thats what I read, the ipod interface its different
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 10:51 AM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoOrtega View Post
The USB interface will work with the I phone to get the best out of it, thats what I read, the ipod interface its different
No.

Please read the above thread that I pointed too, and my explanations in this thread also.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 10:59 AM   #11
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
Just found out that, because songs downloaded from i-tunes are encoded using Apple's protected AAC codec, they do not play on anything other than an iPod. Including the USB interface on my car!!! I've just spent almost £50 downloading songs to listen to whilst driving, only to find out that they don't show up via the car interface, so I can't play them. I'm very grumpy with Apple right now...
Are you using the original (accessory for 6FL) connection cable? My understanding was that using this cable you should be able to play all songs via the USB interface!?

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 09:21 PM   #12
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Is this the same USB interface in current 3-series cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 09:14 AM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Is this the same USB interface in current 3-series cars?
Well it has the same option code (6FL) according to the Canadian order guide, so yep.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 09:20 AM   #14
ilron
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E60 520d - soon an X1

My dealer told me that you have to buy a special USB iPod cable to get it working with the cars USB interface. Available through the dealer or from Apple.
      10-18-2007, 04:58 PM   #15
ChrisW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

My USB connection working great with a 1Gb memory stick full of downloaded MP3 tracks. No need to plug in the iPod.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 06:49 AM   #16
GeriFix
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92; MG TF 160; C2 VTS

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
My USB connection working great with a 1Gb memory stick full of downloaded MP3 tracks. No need to plug in the iPod.
Cheers, you've answered my question before I had to ask it.

Stuff iTunes. Demonoid compatibility, that's what matters.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 08:17 AM   #17
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Never thought of that. Nice touch...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 01:18 PM   #18
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilron View Post
My dealer told me that you have to buy a special USB iPod cable to get it working with the cars USB interface. Available through the dealer or from Apple.
Your IPOD should have come w/ that cable. It's most likely the same cable used to hook your IPOD up to your PC (...via USB) in order to interface w/ ITunes.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #19
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

[QUOTE=ChrisW;1559499]My USB connection working great with a 1Gb memory stick full of downloaded MP3 tracks. No need to plug in the iPod.

Thats what i thought,with the soon te be delivered M i have specced the USB connection and got a 2Gb memory stick full (well almost) of my favourite tunes all ready to go:.D. 6 Stack CD
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #20
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your IPOD should have come w/ that cable. It's most likely the same cable used to hook your IPOD up to your PC (...via USB) in order to interface w/ ITunes.
Nope, SC. Check the thread I linked to above.

You can use the USB cable that came with the iPod, sure, but your car will then see it only as a (very expensive) USB hard-drive. And it won't play DRM'd tracks. If you want the BMW to treat it like an IPod, you need the special cable.

BTW, this cable is (or at least was) included with the 6FL option in the US. Not sure if it still is and, if so, if it will also come with the M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #21
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Just use a (much cheaper) USB stick...

...and "buy" your files from Bittorrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilron View Post
My dealer said the same thing, but I'm yet to see this working.

Quote:
Yep, I have one too (mine is 4GB). It works brilliantly and the iDrive can browse through all the .mp3 tags (Artist, Album, Title etc.)

Quote:
I tried this at an audio dealer this morning. This is how I had assumed it would work, but it doesn't. The system is pants. If you use this cable, you can play the .mp3 files, but (if you have ever browsed your iPod's disk you will have noticed the same thing) all the folders and files are given meaningless substitute names and you cannot browse by tags. I don't know if this changes when you buy the cable from BMW, but at the moment, I think the whole thing is basically sh!te (and I bought a new iPod especially).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Nope, SC. Check the thread I linked to above.

You can use the USB cable that came with the iPod, sure, but your car will then see it only as a (very expensive) USB hard-drive. And it won't play DRM'd tracks. If you want the BMW to treat it like an IPod, you need the special cable.

BTW, this cable is (or at least was) included with the 6FL option in the US. Not sure if it still is and, if so, if it will also come with the M3.
I got a USB extension cable, nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 08:59 PM   #22
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Give it a bit of time. When used with the standard ipod usb cable, the idrive sees your ipod as FAT32 file system (when formatted this way). What happens is, the idrive will search through your ipod, building the artist, album, track, genre, etc info from the MP3 meta data on your ipod.

I would buy the special bmw ipod interface cable though (its supplied for free in the USA when you order 6FL). When used with this cable, you wont have to wait for the idrive to build this database, and you will be able to playback protected itunes downloaded songs as well.
Appreciate 0