E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > First waranty service experience...

10-13-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
Booboo12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Sedan 2007

First waranty service experience...

It's not all good - let's just start off with that... Some may not think so, and some may hope to be in the same situation some day... but they'll be kicking themselves if they do...
Story - I had an issue with the side passenger mirror. It would forget it was folded in and would try and fold in again. Something was a little out of whack with it - and it would grind and then make a POP sound like something was snapped...
So I was able to schedule a service apt and asked for a loaner when I brought it in... After the stories I've heard on the forum about loaners, I joked with the service coordinator and said "Don't worry about putting me in a 6 series or an M, I probably shouldn't be driving one of those anyways..."
So a few days later I'm driving in to get the service done and I'm over 30 minutes early, so I stop off for a bagel for breakfast... And I thought, it's friday, it's early, spread some good vides and maybe some cream cheese too, so I picked up a dozen bagels and cream cheese for the service crew...
I get to the the service dept 10 minutes early, explain the issue of the mirror, (I provided a video of it since I thought it would be hard to reproduce)... and said the other issues are minor, but the Ipod switches to FM occasionally and it also loses it's charge when hooked up overnight a softwar eupdate would fix it, but those are minor items... We walk over to the car, and luck was on my side, the mirror issue happened in front of my service advisor... Perfect - no need to worry that they'll think I'm nuts
Then I opened the passenger door and said enjoy the bagels with the crew...
They were happy to be fed... Didn't take a lot of effort to say "thanks for taking care of my baby..."
So off to get the loaner...
OMG, I was tossed the keys of a convertible... a 325ci ... and it's a BEUATIFUL weekend here for the first time in 6 months where AC was not a requirement...
Now wait - I know some of you are reading this and thinking "DAMMIT - You got a convertible and they gave me an Echo or a Pontiac or even just a ride on over to Enterprise..." - Well yes, I feel for you, but listen to this...
I'm enjoying the car for the day, pick up a friend and go to lunch, top down, wind blowing through what's left of my hair, sun is shining, and it's in the 70's and low 80's... just BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm thinking, damn this car is sweet and this is one of the two weekends each year that one HOPES to be driving a convertible... ALL WEEKEND!!!
And then it happens - about 5:30pm on Friday I get a voicemail- same day I dropped of the car - "You car is ready, come on in and pick it up... Mirror motor was replaced, software was updated to fix the FM switching, all if looking good..."
I was impressed and drepressed at the same time.
Service was exceptional, I couldn't have asked for anything else - All 5's impressisve. (and I wasn't even asked - hell I'd give all 6's this time if they'd let me...)
But it meant I needed to return the car on Saturday - depressed...
Now about this time some of you are pissed you read this far and the only issue I had was having such a cool loaner that I didn't want to give it up - but after running around town in it since early morning till late this afternoon, the problem is actually bigger...
I now want a convertible...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
LOL actually my dealership provides donuts every morning in the lounge, so no need to eat breakfast or feed their crew.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 06:53 AM   #3
smiwi
Smiwi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Convertible

Garage List
2009 e93 M3  [0.00]
Glad to Hear the Austin Experience was Good

My 335i Conv. will be coming in at the end of the month. Heard the Austin dealership was top notch.

Perhaps you can work a deal with them to trade to the convertible....
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
XPO186
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Damn... I think I'll be wooing my service dept. w/food and drink so they won't notice my mods.
      10-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
fizzle
is it the 5oclock free crack giveaway?
United_States
Rep
Drives: a motorized vee-hickle

yea my dealer has free bagels, coffee, donuts, and other assorted drinks. its great. but nice story.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
Booboo12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Sedan 2007

Ahhh - I enjoy story time...
But this one also has the lesson that Karma plays in day to day life... thus the name of my baby bimmer is Carma...
I was actually really suprised at the quality of service BMW of Austin provided as well as the speed at turnaround time. While they were all confirmed issues, they took care of everything for me without any hastle... I actually don't think the food played into it at all, but maybe had a minor effect on getting the convertible... Their sales team rocks too. Only issue I've ever had with them is the costs charged at their parts department - but they are the only game in town which they unfortunately take advantage of by doubling MSRP on some stuff....
Sales - all 5's
Service - all 6's
Parts - negative 100 (but that's what online ordering is for, or a quick drive over to San Antonio) Woulda given them a 0, but when I asked for a quart of oil and was given a $10.00+ price tag (with my BMWCCA discount card), I reached over, pulled out the Accessories catalogue from under the guys arm, opened to the msrp price of $5.40 for a quart and asked him to explain the cost difference... All he said was "We don't pay that much..."... No Sheet Mr - you pay less than that.... -100 for u
----

As for the convertible... Ahhh I wish, but then I would need a three car garage as the 4runner takes the other spot and is needed for the kayaking adventures and parking at the airport and other door dinging locations...

----
So remember the moral... "Spread good vibes"
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
b marques
Rep
Drives: 89 e30 m3, 04 vw gli

now when they called you, you shouldve said you went away on a business trip over the weekend and you would only be back on monday or even tuesday that you didnt know yet. a few of my friends do this when they know they are going on a far road trip for the weekend and dont feel like putting miles on there own car.
Appreciate 0