F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > My Test Drive: 335ix GT in Manhattan
GetBMWParts

09-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
RJGBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335ix GT

My Test Drive: 335ix GT in Manhattan

I had a moderately long dealership test drive in a 335ix GT over the most challenging test track in the U.S.: midtown Manhattan and the upper West Side Highway. I was looking to find answers to several questions I had before considering buying one.
For the readers here to evaluate my evaluation, this is me: an early BMW convert, going back to the days when BMWs flashed headlights at each other. Each of my Bimmers have been 3er and moved up in options, engines (and price.) My current BMW is a E90 330i with the sport package. My bias is to love BMW, hate run flats, only like sport seats, dislike sport suspension, love the smooth leather, fat rim M steering wheel, love good, but not crazy power and think BMW handling and road feel are gifts from the gods.
I now want a new one, with traits I enjoy and option out bad ones. I want to add some cargo room, however. X3 seems good, but since I want European Delivery (the thrill and price savings): nein. Touring seems good, but since its only available as a 4 banger: nein. Drum roll please: what about a GT fastback? Always thought 5 doors seemed smart anyway.
Enough of me- what did I find: Really good space (backseat has crazy space and cargo is excellent; look at an A7 and you will wonder if Audi has had too much time in a bierhall. Power: wonderful- (M3 people will, of course disagree.) So smooth and minimal shudder upon the dreaded stop/start system. Ride and handling was my grosse surprise. (Remember where I took my test drive.) Ride quality: didn't float over the streets of the Big Apple as some journalists lamented- it was choppy (like my sport suspension.) High speed cornering: heading too fast down an exit ramp did not produce the dreaded body roll those misinformed journalists stated, but rather an appreciation of good brakes getting a too eager test driver out of the souppe. Seats: standard buckets seemed to hold me in much like my sport seats- with just a smidge more room for those of us who have grown a bit-- back there. Seating position: nothing like sitting high in an suv- felt just like a sedan.
So, there mein kinder, you have it: a thoroughly enjoyable German machine that has advanced practicality, but kept plenty of the BMW DNA. No need for the $1,000 adaptive suspension and sport steering package. Styling is just fine- maybe not svelt, but nothing like the Bangle butt 5er GT. I do wonder why M Sport models are so color choice challenged, though.
what do you think?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

Good review. I've been strongly considering it as my next vehicle. I'm 6'5" and find it challenging to find anything I can drive comfortably and still have a usable seat behind me. The 3GT left excess room - felt like much more than a 5 series sedan - didn't try a 7 like many of the video reviews suggest.

I test drove a 335 with no "line" and found it quite basic w/o leather and unpleasant on the exterior w/o the M Sport line or the 19s. The proportions of this car only look right to me with 19s (could pose a problem w/o all-seasons for me here in Chicago).

After driving that first 335 I could get my hands on in the Chicago area which had no line, I spent about an hour with an M Sport the following weekend. I really, really like it. It just seems like an great balance of performance and practicality and it looks good doing it. An A7 is a bit too pretentious for me to drive to the office. I also considered the touring - the design is great and if the 335 was available here it would be a no brainer.

In my research I've also found myself wanting to check out the X6 before ordering the 3GT. However, it sounds like a long overdue redesign is coming in the next couple of years so I've stopped letting myself consider it - maybe to replace the 3GT in a few years :]

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
RJGBMW
Private
United_States
Rep

Some (possibly helpful) thoughts

I really enjoyed your GT evaluation. My test drive was also in a "no line." BMW doesn't make it too clear there is such a thing (they of course want everyone to pony up to a "line"). Dealers seem to try to keep the price down so as to try to make them more "affordable" (ever notice how many stock cars are in no-extra-charge alpine white/jet black?)
I understand your preference for the visually larger 19". However, they will provide a rougher ride due to shorter sidewalls, and the M Sport 19" comes with wider rears so rotation is no longer possible.
That being said, I've done these things in the past: make the sale conditional on the dealer getting a/s on your 19". He may have to buy the summers and put on a/s, or buy the regular 18"/rims and you buy from parts 19" rims and get a/s tires. This will be a cost for this and which dealer is most cooperative price wise may then get your sale. Beyond that, places like Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct sell winter tire/rim packages. In the dead of winter esthetics are way less important! You do need to store the out-of-season tires/rims though.
My bias is against run flats. You could always use conventional a/s tires and carry the Continental inflator motor and sealant kit- there is a nice small well in the trunk that would seem to hold it nicely. Consumer Reports just rated the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tire as setting a new benchmark. I just had a set put on my Jaguar yesterday.
Perhaps these thoughts are helpful. Let us know how things unfold. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Agree with your thoughts. It's not as sharp as the Sedan but it drives better than the alternatives and the 4banger was a deal breaker on the touring for us as well. Agree dynamic handling package is unnecessary. I noticed no improvement it's still just a button that makes it worse to quote Mr Clarkson. I find these chassis adjustment googaws are just about universally marketing nonsense except for the stability control calibrations which do have some meaningful engineering behind them.

Ours is in production now, sport line, cold weather, premium, and h/k is plenty of gadgets for us. As a longtime BMW owner I will cringe a little every time I open that huge sunroof, will it close again, will it not, will it rain? Exciting
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
llscaz
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix gt

2014 335ix gt owner

sorry i missed reading your post before my search for a new car. bought my first bmw and am thrilled with it even if many die hard pompous bmw owners hate everything about it. did everyone make the same purchase as I and like it as much. sorry for the very late reply
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #6
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

I originally ordered mine without the Adaptive suspension too, but after watching like 50 videos and reading reviews on this site, I changed the order to include it (got the 18's and M-brakes too). We'll find out if that was the right choice if it ever gets here. If not, I won't make the same mistake in 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 06:14 AM   #7
markbridge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW; 2017 M-B SL450

RJGBMW, It sounds like from your posts you decided to go with the "no-line" GT. Is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I originally ordered mine without the Adaptive suspension too, but after watching like 50 videos and reading reviews on this site, I changed the order to include it (got the 18's and M-brakes too). We'll find out if that was the right choice if it ever gets here. If not, I won't make the same mistake in 3 years.
Yes please give us your impression, especially the difference between modes on the ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 10:18 PM   #9
ekwc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013_X3_35i 2015_335xi_GT_MPPK

My checklist when I was shopping for a new car: longitudinal engine, AWD, 300hp, 50:50 balanced, 5 star safety, good mpg, good rear space for two kids, and a Great Trunk for stuff...
We have a X3 already and I didn't want to get another SAV. Guess what: the 3GT was the best choice.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 06:46 AM   #10
RJGBMW
Private
United_States
Rep

My European Delivery 2015 is the 335iX GT; midnight blue with saddle interior in the luxury line. For me, a good looking car needs chrome (bright metal/plastic) trim. This overriding requirement caused me to miss out on 2 items: sport seats and M steering wheel. The only thing I can rectify now is the steering wheel. I'm close to deciding on getting the F20 wheel which, from what others have so well shown, has the napa leather and the thick, spongy dimensions of the M wheel. Its a practical solution since all my existing parts are re-useable. I find the appearance of the "sport steering wheel" that came on my car quite attractive also. I have complained and requested BMW executives at The NY Auto Show for years to allow US customer the same freedom as Europeans to special order items like sport seats and M steering wheel. They refuse, Americans buy most cars off dealer lots and its simpler to equip our cars with packages which has now developed into the "lines".
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 07:03 AM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by moabite View Post
In my research I've also found myself wanting to check out the X6 before ordering the 3GT.
I looked at both the X4 and X6 specs, rejecting both because the GT had more interior space. Last weekend I was in NYC, where my GT handled the roads better than any other car I've ever driven there. I also saw for the first time in person some X6s, and I'm really glad I didn't get one. Truck tires, huge reveals, and they stand a full seven inches higher than the GT. Not as illogical as a Hummer, but close.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #12
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

How did you deal with the looks of abject horror, fainting, riots, and general breakdown of society/zombie appocalypse caused by the GT's appearance?

(Sorry. I've been reading the "cruel & unusual punishment" thread.)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #13
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
How did you deal with the looks of abject horror, fainting, riots, and general breakdown of society/zombie appocalypse caused by the GT's appearance?
The only looks I've had to deal with are those of envy.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #14
markbridge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW; 2017 M-B SL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post

(Sorry. I've been reading the "cruel & unusual punishment" thread.)
:
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #15
RJGBMW
Private
United_States
Rep

Mien friends who disparage the 3 GT looks, perhaps I can present a definitive analysis and summary: it's not (that) bad. You decide if you want to use the (that). It's not "bad" when you compare it to the best: Audi A7 and take into consideration the greater interior passenger/trunk space and the somewhat elevated stance with its easier entry/exit and viewing angles. To get those benefits you make some styling compromises. If you compare it to the 5 GT, well, now you border on gorgeous! And a final note, the 3 GT should really be matched to the X4, a similar shaped, but bulky vehicle with a minimal interior and higher cumbersome entry/exit. To Americans SUVs (SAVs) are sexy and hatchbacks (sportbacks) are only on econoboxes. How un-continental we are!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #16
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGBMW View Post
How un-continental we are!
If that means 'stupid' I agree.
Appreciate 0