E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Warranty on trim damaged by seatbelt?

10-10-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

Warranty on trim damaged by seatbelt?

My 335i Coupe has the aluminum interior trim, and in just under 4k miles the seatbelt buckle has literally put dozens of chips in the aluminum trim on the door and on the trim on the rear side panels. It literally looks like the trim has been sandblasted! Not only that, but the vinyl trim around the seatbelt butler is damaged as well. I put 15k on my E90 with walnut trim, and never saw a mark on the wood or vinyl due to the seatbelt. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with BMW replacing these pieces under warranty. I expect wear and tear with age and mileage, but I can't imagine what this will look like after a few years and 50k miles. This seems like a combination of poor design and poor materials, and I would hope that BMW would warranty this, as it's obviously what anyone would consider excessive wear in normal use.

Does anyone make any aftermarket trim (carbon, aluminum, etc..) that might hold up better?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

are you serious? if you're getting your dealer to replace the trim under warranty, might as well ask them to replace your tires under warranty (probably poorly designed to accommodate the 300 hp/tq engine), oh and a repaint after getting rock chips on the body (poorly desgined to withstand mother nature)

for aftermarket trim replacement, look at the marketplace.
      10-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post

are you serious? if you're getting your dealer to replace the trim under warranty, might as well ask them to replace your tires under warranty (probably poorly designed to accommodate the 300 hp/tq engine), oh and a repaint after getting rock chips on the body (poorly desgined to withstand mother nature)
Don't forget to ask them to replace fuel, it leak/disappeared as I kept driving!
      10-10-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
keysopendoors
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 M Sport

when i had my B6 A4, Audi replaced multiple interior trim pieces under warranty for things like peeling, chipping...etc. they even went as far as replacing my entire head unit because there was a slight peeling spot around the radio knob (obviously caused by the previous owners nails). so i wouldn't say its out of the question...

next time its in for service show them the trim and how every time you take your seatbelt off, the seatbelt buckle hits the trim. I agree that its kind of a poor design, seeing as my car has the same problem, and I'll probably ask them eventually (as to not get penalized upon lease return)
      10-10-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysopendoors View Post
when i had my B6 A4, Audi replaced multiple interior trim pieces under warranty for things like peeling, chipping...etc. they even went as far as replacing my entire head unit because there was a slight peeling spot around the radio knob (obviously caused by the previous owners nails). so i wouldn't say its out of the question...

next time its in for service show them the trim and how every time you take your seatbelt off, the seatbelt buckle hits the trim. I agree that its kind of a poor design, seeing as my car has the same problem, and I'll probably ask them eventually (as to not get penalized upon lease return)
+1
Just don't let go of the seat belt and let it hit on your trim. I hate passengers on my car does that.
Many cars with Aluminum trim will encounter similar problems.

Warranty should cover trims if there are any defects.
However, personal error like dents or damages. I would doubt they will replace it for free.
      10-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
Zeroday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Plymouth Volare

what about putting some clear bra over the trim to protect it where the seat belt hits...might prevent further damage..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

no argument there When trim piecies wear out prematurely, as in the case of steering wheel cover and door handle trim (as reported by many E90post members), I agree the manufacturer should replace it under warranty.

What we have here is clearly an user-caused wear and tear issue. The trims are dinged/scratched, why? because he and his passengers don't take care of the seat belt and let it go off flying. Why should BMW replace something that is a direct result of his negligence?
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysopendoors View Post

10-10-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
Mike UK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Le mans Blau e92

Any photos of damage?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 12:36 PM   #9
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
no argument there When trim piecies wear out prematurely, as in the case of steering wheel cover and door handle trim (as reported by many E90post members), I agree the manufacturer should replace it under warranty.

What we have here is clearly an user-caused wear and tear issue. The trims are dinged/scratched, why? because he and his passengers don't take care of the seat belt and let it go off flying. Why should BMW replace something that is a direct result of his negligence?
Absolutely Agree!

Another example, you wear a nice jeans and there's a metal plate on the jeans back waist (Levi's or watever)....and scraped your nice leather seats. Should the dealer replace the leather for you?

However, if the leather was manufactured with defects (God knows...deformed, peeling). That will defiantely be replaced under warranty.