F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > F07 owner moving to F34
proTUNING Freaks

09-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
rowat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi GT

F07 owner moving to F34

I've had an F07 for the last 3 years that I've really loved. More than any car I've ever had up to this point. My only complaints are the size (it barely fits in the garage with my wife's Z4), and fuel economy... that V8 is a screamer and fun, but I rarely get above 16mpg unless I'm doing long highway drives or driving like a hypermiler drives a prius. I've been awaiting the F34 since it was first rumored and then announced. I had long thought that my next car would be another F07, but I finally got to spend some time with an F34 over labor day weekend and bit the bullet and ordered an m-sport 335xi in mineral gray with coral red leather and pretty much all the trimmings. It's supposed to be produced the week of the 23rd and I can't wait! This is the first car I've ever ordered, always bought inventory cars before, or done dealer swaps to get close to my ideal config, but this one will be built exactly like I want it, and I'm super excited. I really wanted to do ED, but trying to plan a trip n short notice around a build time and with my old lease running out, it just wasn't going to happen, but I'm going to start planning ahead for when this lease runs out!

Build Options:
Mineral Grey Metallic
Coral Red/Black leather
Al Hex trim
Cold Weather Pkg (even in AZ I love a heated steering wheel in the colder months!)
DA & DA+
Dyn Handling
598M 19" Wheels
Prem Pkg
TEch Pkg
M Sport Brakes
Parking Assist
HK Sound

Last edited by rowat; 09-13-2013 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: Listing my full build options
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
uter
BMW nerd
Rep
Drives: E9, E28, E31, G87 M2

Nice, where in AZ did you spend time with an F34?

(And I know what you mean about an F07 and a Z4...

1973 Baikalblau 3.0 CS
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
rowat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uter
Nice, where in AZ did you spend time with an F34?

(And I know what you mean about an F07 and a Z4...

After a debacle trying to buy my wife's Z4 at Tucson BMW, I've taken my business up to Chapman BMW in Chandler. They have (had?) 3 328xi GTs. JJ is the salesman and a very patient man at that. I drove like 8 different models/versions of cars to be sure I was making the right choice. We bought the Z4 from him in March.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
mattu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3, 14 335GT, 21 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowat View Post
I've had an F07 for the last 3 years that I've really loved. More than any car I've ever had up to this point. My only complaints are the size (it barely fits in the garage with my wife's Z4), and fuel economy... that V8 is a screamer and fun, but I rarely get above 16mpg unless I'm doing long highway drives or driving like a hypermiler drives a prius. I've been awaiting the F34 since it was first rumored and then announced. I had long thought that my next car would be another F07, but I finally got to spend some time with an F34 over labor day weekend and bit the bullet and ordered an m-sport 335xi in mineral gray with coral red leather and pretty much all the trimmings. It's supposed to be produced the week of the 23rd and I can't wait! This is the first car I've ever ordered, always bought inventory cars before, or done dealer swaps to get close to my ideal config, but this one will be built exactly like I want it, and I'm super excited. I really wanted to do ED, but trying to plan a trip n short notice around a build time and with my old lease running out, it just wasn't going to happen, but I'm going to start planning ahead for when this lease runs out!
Nice! Sounds almost identical to my ED order (loaded 335 m-sport mineral/coral)
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
rowat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrealm3 View Post
Nice! Sounds almost identical to my ED order (loaded 335 m-sport mineral/coral)
Color me jealous of your ED (that just sounds weird....) What's your date?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
mattu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
December 17th. We had already planned our vacation regardless the purchase. I originally ordered with 19" wheels and M-sport brakes, but we fly home from Paris and plan to drop off there...meaning I've got to get the all-seasons because winter tire rental isn't viable. I'm dumbfounded as to why M-Sport brakes can be ordered with the 18" summers but not the 18" all-seasons.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
Joyrdr
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F34, 335iX GT M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrealm3
Quote:
December 17th. We had already planned our vacation regardless the purchase. I originally ordered with 19" wheels and M-sport brakes, but we fly home from Paris and plan to drop off there...meaning I've got to get the all-seasons because winter tire rental isn't viable. I'm dumbfounded as to why M-Sport brakes can be ordered with the 18" summers but not the 18" all-seasons.
It's the same reason why I couldn't get the increased speed limiter option without getting the high performance tires I guess. So I had to get high performance tires in order to get the 155 mph speed limit, I am also picking up in December in Germany. Luckily for me I live in Germany so I will go straight to a shop and get winter tires put on. :-) ordered the 19s tires and msport brakes.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
Joyrdr
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
My order, can't wait.

*correction on the first picture, that was what I wanted for the interior, but it was only for European spec cars.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
mattu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyrdr View Post
It's the same reason why I couldn't get the increased speed limiter option without getting the high performance tires I guess. So I had to get high performance tires in order to get the 155 mph speed limit, I am also picking up in December in Germany. Luckily for me I live in Germany so I will go straight to a shop and get winter tires put on. :-) ordered the 19s tires and msport brakes.
I can understand the speed limiter...Summer tires have higher speed rating than All-seasons so at least there's a direct explanation to that one.

With the brakes, I have no idea...tires have nothing to do with fitting a brake caliper given they're mounted on the same diameter and offset wheels (can get them with 18" summer tires). I guess they associated the bigger brakes with higher speeds, but considering they don't require them with summer tires, that's a thin argument for not taking my money!

BTW - Sweet ride you've ordered there!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
Joyrdr
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrealm3
Quote:
I can understand the speed limiter...Summer tires have higher speed rating than All-seasons so at least there's a direct explanation to that one.

With the brakes, I have no idea...tires have nothing to do with fitting a brake caliper given they're mounted on the same diameter and offset wheels (can get them with 18" summer tires). I guess they associated the bigger brakes with higher speeds, but considering they don't require them with summer tires, that's a thin argument for not taking my money!

BTW - Sweet ride you've ordered there!
You know what, I just looked at some paper work and the m sport brakes are listed as an option.....meaning we could get it as an option no matter what tire type or rim size. This might have to do with the type of dealer you are buying through and what agreements they have with BMW.. I am buying through a dealer that handles US Military and US Diplomats as their customers here in Germany.
Oh and thanks, can't wait for her to be built.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
mattu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You know what, I just looked at some paper work and the m sport brakes are listed as an option.....meaning we could get it as an option no matter what tire type or rim size. This might have to do with the type of dealer you are buying through and what agreements they have with BMW.. I am buying through a dealer that handles US Military and US Diplomats as their customers here in Germany.
Oh and thanks, can't wait for her to be built.
Yeah I imagine German dealers don't have to same restrictions on alacart options. The U.S. ordering guide shows summer tires are required to add m-brakes to the order, so I don't know if dealers in the U.S. can make it happen...my dealer is trying for me, but I think it's a long shot.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
rowat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrealm3 View Post
Ugh, that's a bummer. I went with the 19's and m-sport brakes as well, guess I'm glad I didn't do ED and need winter tires!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
rowat
Private
United_States
Rep

One thing I'm bummed about with m-sport, is you lose the active blind spot detection. I almost went with a sport build instead of m-sport because of it. I'm curious as to what about the body differences in the m-sport vs others that makes this not workable. And I don't like how they don't mention this in the configurator, only in the fine print of the build sheet (and the fact that DA+ is only $1300 on m-sport instead of $1900 due to the delete)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
Joyrdr
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
@ rowat, the active blind spot comes with DA+ even with msport, see screen shot below.

Here is my order specifications|

Make: BMW
Model: 335i xDrive GT
Exterior Color: Alpine White
Interior Color: Black Leather
Trans: Sport Auto
Conv Top: Not applicable for this vehicle Options Include:
2TB Sport Automatic
840 Increase top speed Limiter
EMAP European Maps
ZCW Cold Weather Package
ZDA Driver Assistance Package
ZDB Driver Assistance Plus
ZDH Dynamic Handling Package
ZMM M Sport Line
ZPP Premium Package
ZTP Technology Package
2NH M Sport Brakes
2V5 19" Double-Spoke (Style 598M)
4DX Highl. trim finish. Estoril Blue
4MR Aluminum Hexagon interior trim
5AC High Beam Assistant
5DF Active Cruise Control stop&Go
5DP Parking Assistant
688 Harman Kardon surround sound system
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
rowat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@ rowat, the active blind spot comes with DA+ even with msport, see screen shot below.

2TB Sport Automatic
EMAP European Maps
ZCW Cold Weather Package
ZMM M Sport Line
ZPP Premium Package
ZTP Technology Package
2NH M Sport Brakes
5AC High Beam Assistant
5DP Parking Assistant
It _looks_ like it does, but it doesn't. At least on USA spec cars... The build sheet says "ZDB (aka DA+) and ZMM (aka m-sport) will delete 5AG (blind spot) from the order" and also spells out that ZDM in combination with ZMM costs 1300, instead of 1900. The configurator bears this out. In fact if you build a sport build with DA+ and look at the mirrors on the inside view, they have the triangle, but do the same with m-sport and they don't My dealer tried to request if it could be done as a special accommodation and was told no.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #16
rowat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

2TB Sport Automatic
EMAP European Maps
ZCW Cold Weather Package
ZMM M Sport Line
ZPP Premium Package
ZTP Technology Package
2NH M Sport Brakes
5AC High Beam Assistant
5DP Parking Assistant
Looks like other than color and a couple options, we built the same car I thought about the blue, but went with pretty much the same color I have on my F07. I have the high beam assist on my F07 and I think used it once, just to try it, and I don't do much highway driving, if I did I think that + active cruise would have been on my list too!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #17
mattu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ugh, that's a bummer. I went with the 19's and m-sport brakes as well, guess I'm glad I didn't do ED and need winter tires!
I most bummed about the brakes...it's a $1500 difference between the option and going with the m-performance brakes for whats amounts to some slotted rotors.

After thinking about it more, I almost prefer going aftermarket with summer wheel/tire combo than aftermarket winter combo. The cheapest winter sets I've seen end up around $1800...Tack on $850 for the 19" option and it's a nice start towards a set of Morr VS8.2s .
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #18
Joyrdr
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Emailed my dealer to check and see if I still have the active blind spot detection with my m sport option.

My 335ix GT is US spec, I am living and working in Germany with the US Army so I go through a Military / US Diplomatic car dealership. The car is built in Munich and i can either pick it up or have them deliver it to me. So I should have the same options as if buying in the US minus a few differences that I have seen.

@rowat, I have the active high beam and active cruise control since my driving will be about 75-90 percent on the autobahn (highway) some areas NO SPEED LIMITS WOOOHOO. Unfortunately I will be racking up about 30000 miles a year
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
rowat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyrdr
Emailed my dealer to check and see if I still have the active blind spot detection with my m sport option.

My 335ix GT is US spec, I am living and working in Germany with the US Army so I go through a Military / US Diplomatic car dealership. The car is built in Munich and i can either pick it up or have them deliver it to me. So I should have the same options as if buying in the US minus a few differences that I have seen.

@rowat, I have the active high beam and active cruise control since my driving will be about 75-90 percent on the autobahn (highway) some areas NO SPEED LIMITS WOOOHOO. Unfortunately I will be racking up about 30000 miles a year
I'll be very curious to hear what they tell you about blind spot. My dealer didn't realize it at first either until I pointed it out in the fine print and they checked and confirmed.

I'll bet the active high beam/cruise is _very_ useful on the autobahn
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #20
rowat
Private
United_States
Rep

My status just moved to starting production, I'm getting excited now!
Appreciate 0