F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tyre Pressures
GetBMWParts

09-09-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5 2019

Tyre Pressures

I took my 335xd for a fast drive across a familiar fast road and I felt the car didn't feel quite right so the following day I checked my tyre pressures and found the fronts were over inflated by 3 psi and the rears by 5 psi and this has definitely helped the ride and handling.

So I suggest that you all check your pressures as it seems not all dealers do!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 02:58 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian335xd View Post
I took my 335xd for a fast drive across a familiar fast road and I felt the car didn't feel quite right so the following day I checked my tyre pressures and found the fronts were over inflated by 3 psi and the rears by 5 psi and this has definitely helped the ride and handling.

Over inflated by 3 & 5psi compared to what? I assume you mean the lowest setting pressure on the door plate.

Obviously a good idea to check pressures, but tyre pressure is a range not a fixed pressure. Most BMW models will have a range of about 0.5bar across the load carried and that is about 7.25psi variation when cold.

Many drivers will run with a few extra psi than lowest figure, when driving hard and at speed anyway, and/or for a balanced wear and road feel.

I run my pressures about midway, (from door plate figures) that's about 3.5psi up on the lowest end of the range, also very sensitive to ambient temperature on the setting pressure, even when cold. There can be a couple of psi difference across our typical day, 10C vs. 20C.

HighlandPete

Last edited by HighlandPete; 09-09-2013 at 03:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 04:26 AM   #3
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Over inflated by 3 & 5psi compared to what? I assume you mean the lowest setting pressure on the door plate.

Obviously a good idea to check pressures, but tyre pressure is a range not a fixed pressure. Most BMW models will have a range of about 0.5bar across the load carried and that is about 7.25psi variation when cold.

Many drivers will run with a few extra psi than lowest figure, when driving hard and at speed anyway, and/or for a balanced wear and road feel.

I run my pressures about midway, (from door plate figures) that's about 3.5psi up on the lowest end of the range, also very sensitive to ambient temperature on the setting pressure, even when cold. There can be a couple of psi difference across our typical day, 10C vs. 20C.

HighlandPete
I agree with what you say but its not up to the dealers to second guess what pressures the driver would like,BMW spend large amounts of time and money decided what pressures should be run but I agree it is a compromise.

My son races in Ginetta Junior so I know how important tyre pressures on performance.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I agree with what you say but its not up to the dealers to second guess what pressures the driver would like,BMW spend large amounts of time and money decided what pressures should be run but I agree it is a compromise.

My son races in Ginetta Junior so I know how important tyre pressures on performance.
So how are you gauging the pressures are not within range from BMW?

Are you checking with a recently calibrated pressure gauge, time of day and ambient temperature exactly the same as BMW? And what is the absolute pressure the BMW garage would use?

Just food for thought.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #5
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
So how are you gauging the pressures are not within range from BMW?

Are you checking with a recently calibrated pressure gauge, time of day and ambient temperature exactly the same as BMW? And what is the absolute pressure the BMW garage would use?

Just food for thought.

HighlandPete
The gauge I use is calibrated each month at each race meeting and it cost £500 and reads to .1 of a PSI so should be accurate and yes the ambient temperature and pressure do make a difference and ideally you should check your pressures daily but most gauges don't measure these very small differences
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Are you on P Zeros Ian?
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #7
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Are you on P Zeros Ian?
No Bridgestones
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey G21 M340d

Quote:

A previous post recommended 36 psi front and 38 psi rear on 19". Is this correct.
Appreciate 0