E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Fixed Adaptive Headlights (not leveling)

08-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
ny330xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Fixed Adaptive Headlights (not leveling)

50 cent fix for your $2000 headlights. Hope it helps someone...it takes a lot of patience.

My issue was different than what seems to typically be the issue, i.e., servo motor ball popped out of socket.

The up/down adjustment also uses a ball and socket connector. When I got into my headlight, I found that the ball had popped out there, not at the servo, and that the adaptive assembly was free floating as a result. I tried for a solid 3 hours to find a way to pop the ball back in, with the only result being some busted knuckles and popping out the servo ball also. I started to think that the socket may have been broken somehow, though I didn't find any broken plastic floating around in the housing. I took out the driver side to compare, and still couldn't quite tell.

I figured I was SOL and either had to shell out for a new headlight or live with it, but decided to try one last thing:

I went to Lowe's grabbed some 5/16 inch flat nylon washers; I glued 4 together with some gorilla glue, cut a slit down the side, used some forceps to maneuver them over the neck of the ball. Then I set the ball as far into the socket as I could get it and used the forceps to put some glue on the socket and attached the washers to make a new collar on the socket. It seems to be holding just fine. It's a low stress area, so I have no reason to believe it won't hold for some time. Oh, note, too, that I removed the low beam bulb to free up some space.

I wish I could get pictures, but the space is so tight inside the housing. I have one of the ball that I'll upload later.

Last edited by ny330xi; 09-01-2013 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
dw1
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328xi

Did you do this surgery with the headlight removed or still in the car? Similar droopy headlight issue on a 328xi.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
ny330xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw1 View Post
Did you do this surgery with the headlight removed or still in the car? Similar droopy headlight issue on a 328xi.
Sorry, just saw this.

Yes, you would definitely need to remove the lights from the car. It's not hard, find the diy on bumper cover removal and go from there. Also, perfect time to upgrade your angel eye bulbs to led.
Appreciate 0