E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Low Budget Data Loggers for the Track

08-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
RallyRcrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Low Budget Data Loggers for the Track

Hi all!! I'm always on the look out for new gizmos especially car related. This list should appeal to all of us who don't want to spend a couple grand on a dedicated track unit. These are some of the more inexpensive data loggers and video recorders currently on the market. If you were ever wondering what the best of the cheaper ones are take a look at this (PDF) list I snagged from Road&Track. I was really surprised at how much phone apps are capable of these days.

I haven't tried any of these out yet, but can anyone with experience with any of these chime in?

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyRcrr View Post
Hi all!! I'm always on the look out for new gizmos especially car related. This list should appeal to all of us who don't want to spend a couple grand on a dedicated track unit. These are some of the more inexpensive data loggers and video recorders currently on the market. If you were ever wondering what the best of the cheaper ones are take a look at this (PDF) list I snagged from Road&Track. I was really surprised at how much phone apps are capable of these days.

I haven't tried any of these out yet, but can anyone with experience with any of these chime in?
No direct experience, but Car & Driver did an article/comparison on several, a few months ago. AFAIK, most of the car mags use VBOX.

You can also use a couple of the OBD II dongle/Android apps with smartphones to do simple stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
benjlv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 97 m3, 06 330i, '13 x3, '14 x5

a friend of mine uses an touch with harrys laptimer pro, an external GPS, a external microphone, and a bluetooth OBDII reader in his RX8. Then he uses racerender to overlay the data onto the video that comes off the device. The laptimes are within 50ms of a transponder on the car.

The nice thing about having all this on your phone or portable device is that you can review it in between sessions. It really helps accelerate the learning curve.

heres his list of stuff he uses.

Hardware:
IPod Touch 4G 16GB – better than phone because I don’t use it for anything else or care if it gets broken…16GB is fine for track days but 32GB would be best for the whole weekend.
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-ME-52W.../dp/B000MYPPPE in trunk
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-M.../dp/B004SP0WAQ for mic hookup
http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Univer...hone+car+mount need a solid mount, cheaper than RAM and just as good
Gopoint BT1 (use this for OBDII cars to get TPS, temps, wheel speeds, etc) http://gopointtech.com/products/
5hz dual gps: http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electroni...words=XGPS150a

Software:
Harry’s Lap Timer Petrolhead http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html can do overlays but mostly for at the track data/video review
RaceRender Deluxe http://racerender.com/RR2/Purchase.html use this for more pro overlays and better sync between sensors and video
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
RallyRcrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjlv View Post
a friend of mine uses an touch with harrys laptimer pro, an external GPS, a external microphone, and a bluetooth OBDII reader in his RX8. Then he uses racerender to overlay the data onto the video that comes off the device. The laptimes are within 50ms of a transponder on the car.

The nice thing about having all this on your phone or portable device is that you can review it in between sessions. It really helps accelerate the learning curve.

heres his list of stuff he uses.

Hardware:
IPod Touch 4G 16GB – better than phone because I don’t use it for anything else or care if it gets broken…16GB is fine for track days but 32GB would be best for the whole weekend.
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-ME-52W.../dp/B000MYPPPE in trunk
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-M.../dp/B004SP0WAQ for mic hookup
http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Univer...hone+car+mount need a solid mount, cheaper than RAM and just as good
Gopoint BT1 (use this for OBDII cars to get TPS, temps, wheel speeds, etc) http://gopointtech.com/products/
5hz dual gps: http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electroni...words=XGPS150a

Software:
Harry’s Lap Timer Petrolhead http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html can do overlays but mostly for at the track data/video review
RaceRender Deluxe http://racerender.com/RR2/Purchase.html use this for more pro overlays and better sync between sensors and video
Thanks! This was exactly what I was looking for. The tech is new enough that not many reviews, or many setups are posted yet. A lot of people are still playing with different configurations. I was leaning towards Harry's, but there's also the Trackaddict and Trackmaster apps. If you go online there isn't much in the way of a head to head comparison.

I think I'll try the setup your friend is using. Can you tell me if the Bluetooth GPS and the Blueooth OBD devices are connected at the same time? Or does he have to switch between one or the other?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
benjlv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 97 m3, 06 330i, '13 x3, '14 x5

Harry's looks better than Trackmaster. I don't know about the obd and gps. I do know that a iPhone can only connect to one Bluetooth device at a time. Perhaps the obd converter can be WiFi based???
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:03 AM   #6
RallyRcrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjlv View Post
Harry's looks better than Trackmaster. I don't know about the obd and gps. I do know that a iPhone can only connect to one Bluetooth device at a time. Perhaps the obd converter can be WiFi based???
That's too bad about the bluetooth. It would have been nice to connect an OBD, GPS, and a go pro at the same time. It might be too much to ask for a phone to do though.

I'm going to start purchasing all this stuff this week. After I get a good feel for the setup, I'll post a review here.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
ChipB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 'vert, 2014 X5

My iPhone 5 connects to both an external GPS and OBDII reader via bluetooth simultaneously when using Harry's lap Timer. Previously I had used a GoPro camera and stand-alone GPS data logger (QStarz), then melded the two using Dashware once I got home. That process took a lot of effort to properly sync the two. Heres' a sample from Road America:

Then last year I started using HLT along with the Dual XGPS150 external GPS and GoPoint BT1 OBD II bluetooth reader, and while it has some limitations (such as no way am I going to mount the iPhone on the outside of the car!) it is effortless, starts and stops automatically when you get on track, and creates the data overlays effortlessly. Here's an example of HLT from Gingerman Raceway - note that I was able to include engine RPM, throttle, and gear:

The data overlay is performed one lap at time, so this video starts just a few seconds before crossing start-finish and ends when I cross it again. It's possible to stitch laps together with video software, but I haven't bothered. The raw video without overlay is for the entire session, so if you want you can use video software on your PC to do more exotic editing.

Last edited by ChipB; 08-14-2013 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
RallyRcrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Great videos!

From your description, I like the HLT's overlay much better. Seems like less of a hassle. You mentioned it only recorded laps separately. So there's no way to record a whole session with overlay with HLT? At least not without having to do some post processing.

You wouldn't also know if you could have hooked up a separate microphone to the phone do you? I was curious if getting a mic out to the exhaust was possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
ChipB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The raw video recording is for the entire session. But when you ask the HLT program on your iPhone to do the data overlay you have to first select a lap that you want the overlay for. Like I said you could always do overlays on two or more laps, then export the individual laps with the overlays and stitch them together using whatever video software on your PC that suits you.

It is possible to attach an external mic to the iPhone, but it requires a special adapter. I have not tried any of these, but see: http://www.kvconnection.com/Default.asp
      08-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
spiike32
Major
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80 M3

I use Harry's laptimer grand prix edition. Highly recommended! I'll post a vid of my next track day where I use a GoPro black edition to take the video, mic on the rear bumper, and Harry's laptimer for all the car info. Only way to go if you ask me.

Edit: ChrisB I just read your post. Use your gopro for the video, convert it with camtasia studio or your favorite video editing software, import to itunes, then use HLT to overlay. Takes a little effort but you end up with footage like this guy.

Not my vid, but you get the point.

Current: Tesla Model 3 Performance Retired: F80 M3, FBO 335i, 318ti, C7 Stingray
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 04:16 AM   #11
RallyRcrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Chip,

So with the info you gave, I decided to run a couple things by Harry's. They responded very quickly. I think the turn around was maybe 10min. Looks like they'll be adding new features. So this is what they answered for my questions.

1.Is continuous recording available with overlay, and not lap by lap?
Will be supported starting with version 18 (start of next season), upgrade will be free

2.Can I connect an external microphone to the phone to use with the LapTimer, to get sound direct from the exhaust?
Yes, please check this thread:
http://www.gps-laptimer-forum.de/vie...4&p=6806#p6806

3.Is is possible to have throttle and braking in the overlay?
Throttle yes - as it is supplied by OBD. Braking needs to be derived from negative longitudinal acceleration - it is not standardized in OBD.

4.Will this combination work?
◦Iphone 4s 64GB
◦Dual XGPS 160 (bluetooth)
◦OBDLink MX (bluetooth)
◦Olympus ME-52W Noise Canceling Microphone

Yes, except the OBDLink. The only BT OBD available on iOS is GoPoints (which by the way is cheaper and as good as the OBDLink). Please check www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility.html for further information and distributor links.

Spike,

The suggestion for the iphone overlay is a nice work around. I'm curious though, how does the sychronization work? Does HLT just "know"? Or do you have to manually sync?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
ChipB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Chip,...

1.Is continuous recording available with overlay, and not lap by lap?
Will be supported starting with version 18 (start of next season), upgrade will be free
Good to know - thanks!

Quote:
The suggestion for the iphone overlay is a nice work around. I'm curious though, how does the sychronization work? Does HLT just "know"? Or do you have to manually sync?
Since the data coming from the OBDII and external GPS are recorded in the iPhone real time, HLT knows how to sync them together with each other and with the video. That's why it's so much easier than using a separate GPS data logger and video camera as I had in the past.

BTW, another feature I have not tried is picture-in-picture using a separate camera like a GoPro. Again you have to fiddle with syncing. I believe HLT has a feature to contol GoPro black version on and off via bluetooth.

I must say that while the video is neat and makes for fun uploads to YouTube or Facbook for sharing, HLT is first and foremost a lap-timer. It's really nice when you finish a session to be able to see instantly what each of your lap times were - since HLT knows where the start-finish line is for the track it automatically does the timing splits. So when you experiment with things like stability comntrol on and off you know right away what the difference is. It actually announces your lap time as you past start-finish, though with a helmet on and given the wind and engine noise you can't hear it.
      08-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipB View Post

Then last year I started using HLT along with the Dual XGPS150 external GPS and GoPoint BT1 OBD II bluetooth reader, and while it has some limitations (such as no way am I going to mount the iPhone on the outside of the car!) it is effortless, starts and stops automatically when you get on track, and creates the data overlays effortlessly. Here's an example of HLT from Gingerman Raceway - note that I was able to include engine RPM, throttle, and gear:
How do you do feel GoPoint BT1 compares to Xtool's iOBD2? In terms of actually diagnosing your car and 0-60mph? Is it accurate? I'm really considering getting either but there are so many on the market!

Last edited by Amini77; 08-15-2013 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
ChipB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have used the GoPoint BT1 only for minor diagnosis issues and clearing a check engine light, plus to stream data to HLT for track videos like the example I posted earlier. I can't vouch for its accuracy compared to any other model, but given that it displays only what the OBD tells it to display, I don't see how accuracy would vary from one unit to another. I've had other OBDII diagnostic readers, but this is the first unit I've had that displays real time data on things like water temp throttle, RPM, etc.
      08-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #15
RallyRcrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Since the data coming from the OBDII and external GPS are recorded in the iPhone real time, HLT knows how to sync them together with each other and with the video. That's why it's so much easier than using a separate GPS data logger and video camera as I had in the past.
Does this apply to the video taken with the GoPro too? The workaround that copies the converted video back to the iphone, does that sync up automatically too?

The ODB2 would you say its real time, or is it just close to real time?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #16
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I'd also recommend Harry's Lap Timer. I use it with a bluetooth GPS and found it matches official timing to the hundreth. I really like the simplicity of the auto start and the video overlay functionality. I also tape a lavalier mic to my bumper and run the cable through the car to my iphone which is mounted on my dash with a RAM mount.
some examples

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #17
ChipB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does this apply to the video taken with the GoPro too? The workaround that copies the converted video back to the iphone, does that sync up automatically too?
Video on a GoPro is recorded onto an SD card, not streamed to the iPhone. So after the session you have to sync up the video yourself.

Quote:
The ODB2 would you say its real time, or is it just close to real time?
I suspect that the OBDII updates a few times a second, but don't really know. It's certainly fast enough for my purposes. I will say that the MPH readings in the video are in exact agreement with what the speedo says as I'm driving. And though you didn't ask - the GPS position readings are done at a rate of only one sample/second if you're using the iPhone's built-in GPS, and can be increased to 5 samples/second if you use a separate GPS receiver like the Dual XGPS150. There's a firmware upgrade for the Dual that enables it to do up to 10 samples/second, but I find it never actually gets that high.

Last edited by ChipB; 08-16-2013 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #18
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
I have used the GoPoint BT1 only for minor diagnosis issues and clearing a check engine light, plus to stream data to HLT for track videos like the example I posted earlier. I can't vouch for its accuracy compared to any other model, but given that it displays only what the OBD tells it to display, I don't see how accuracy would vary from one unit to another. I've had other OBDII diagnostic readers, but this is the first unit I've had that displays real time data on things like water temp throttle, RPM, etc.
I just pulled the trigger for the Xtool one because its $70 cheaper hopefully it performs just as well.
Appreciate 0