E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 330xi With Weird Issue, Help please

08-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
xllluzionx
For Hire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

330xi With Weird Issue, Help please

Hello everyone,

I have no idea how to search for this so I had to make a new thread. The last couple of days I have noticed my car doing something very strange when I am driving at a constant speed.

Basically what is happening is if I'm cruising at a steady speed, I can feel a very subtle loss of power only for a second and then its back again. It just continues to pulsate like this; 3-5 seconds normal, one second loss. The best way I can describe it is this: If you were on a canoe rowing the boat, you have the constant acceleration until you lift the paddle and move it forward and row again, it feels like that.

I only just noticed this happening recently, the RPM's dont fluctuate, the MPG guage doesnt jitter, and the speedo doesnt change.

Any ideas? Fuel filter? Fuel pump? Injector?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
bhmax16
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M4, '23 CX-50

Fuel filter would cause a surge constantly (if the filter is plugged up it's always plugged up). Intermittent fault with the fuel pump or injector would be a possibility, but you should be throwing a misfire code of some sort. I'm assuming your CEL isn't on, but you should still scan for codes first (with INPA or a BT tool), as generic scanners won't pick up a history code in the module. If no codes are present, the only way to truly diagnose the issue is to perform a readout of live data via the BT tool or a labscope of sorts to monitor what is happening to your fuel, ignition, etc... during the episode. However, my money is more on a sensor issue, likely related to the ignition, rather than a fuel issue
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Start with the cheapest venue. Try a bottle or two of Techron injector cleaner and see if you notice any improvements.
Appreciate 0