E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Front windshield tint?

08-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
StevenMiami
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 Black Sapphire E93

Front windshield tint?

I thought it was illegal to have the front windshield tinted but I keep seeing the new 6 and 7 series with tinted front windows? I can tell when it's tinted because of my polarized sunglasses. Cars like the the new Mercedes S-Class & the 2010-2012 Range Rover models have them too. Am I crazy? I see them on pretty much every one of those I see so I'm guessing its factory.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
ZROFCKSGVN
Hi Hater
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Reckless

is not tint, it is a coating built into the glass during the manufacturing stage thus making it legal

but if you live in miami chances are you ARE crazy anyways, jk
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

how can you tell when it's tinted? youre probably seeing the uv protection that is built in that is the circles all over the window when looking through polarized lenses....
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' AW e90 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinGTP
how can you tell when it's tinted? youre probably seeing the uv protection that is built in that is the circles all over the window when looking through polarized lenses....
This...when I wear my polarized glasses all windows look different.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
StevenMiami
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinGTP View Post
It's like a shade of purple. No it's not circles, the entire window is purple. But like the other poster (can't really see on my iPhone) said I guess it's the built in coating.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

No you're not crazy. It's the sunglasses. I get the same effect with my Oakleys.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 05:02 AM   #7
ed330D
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: E92 330D

Quote:
As far as I know, it's not UV, but IR protection. It potentially stops upto 95% of heat entering through the glass. It consists of a silver oxide layer to reflect the IR, plus other coatings to protect the silver oxide.

On some cars it does produce a purple tint, but the BMW version doesn't; it might make the screen very slightly darker compared to the side windows.

BMW call it a Climate Comfort Screen, IIRC. I believe 6s and 7s can have it fitted all round, something I would have willingly paid for - I have it on my E92's screen, and it makes a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Greatdane84
Leeeroy Jankins
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 LCI

Garage List
2009 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZROFCKSGVN
is not tint, it is a coating built into the glass during the manufacturing stage thus making it legal

but if you live in miami chances are you ARE crazy anyways, jk
+1

Imagine trying to look out the front at night with a tinted window. Sounds fun. I've only seen Escalades with tinted front windows and that's probably cause they're drug dealers.
(Which I don't have any problem with)

"If you're not 1st, you're last" -Ricky Bobby
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
StevenMiami
Private First Class
Rep

This is what I'm talking about.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
StevenMiami
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed330D
Quote:
As far as I know, it's not UV, but IR protection. It potentially stops upto 95% of heat entering through the glass. It consists of a silver oxide layer to reflect the IR, plus other coatings to protect the silver oxide.

On some cars it does produce a purple tint, but the BMW version doesn't; it might make the screen very slightly darker compared to the side windows.

BMW call it a Climate Comfort Screen, IIRC. I believe 6s and 7s can have it fitted all round, something I would have willingly paid for - I have it on my E92's screen, and it makes a big difference.
Do you know if you can still get it done?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
middleagedhippie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I have my bmw windshield tinted with Air Blue, an aftermarket product developed specifically for windshields. Windshields cut out the UV rays anyway due to their laminated layers, but Air Blue says it prevents 99%. It also reduces infrared heat by close to 50%.

I live in Florida and will never drive own a car in Florida again without Air Blue or a similar product. It makes a huge difference in the heat coming through the windshield, and to a much lesser extent cuts out some glare.

I have never had an issue seeing through the windshield at night, and actually, having it on my windshield since I bought my new car 1.5 years ago, never even notice its there anymore, except when I note the sun coming in through the windshield does not heat up my leg or pants as opposed to when I am in non-tinted cars.

Now is it illegal under Florida Law? Technically yes. But the cops don't notice it and I have been stopped and no mention was made of it. You really can't tell its there except under certain lighting conditions, your windshield from the outside appears to have some sort of blueish color. If an issue is ever made of it, my dermatologist will write me a prescription for it to protect my sun sensitive skin from UV rays, which will exempt me under the law . . but I don't foresee law enforcement ever making an issue of the tint in the future, to tell the truth.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
StevenMiami
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleagedhippie
I have my bmw windshield tinted with Air Blue, an aftermarket product developed specifically for windshields. Windshields cut out the UV rays anyway due to their laminated layers, but Air Blue says it prevents 99%. It also reduces infrared heat by close to 50%.

I live in Florida and will never drive own a car in Florida again without Air Blue or a similar product. It makes a huge difference in the heat coming through the windshield, and to a much lesser extent cuts out some glare.

I have never had an issue seeing through the windshield at night, and actually, having it on my windshield since I bought my new car 1.5 years ago, never even notice its there anymore, except when I note the sun coming in through the windshield does not heat up my leg or pants as opposed to when I am in non-tinted cars.

Now is it illegal under Florida Law? Technically yes. But the cops don't notice it and I have been stopped and no mention was made of it. You really can't tell its there except under certain lighting conditions, your windshield from the outside appears to have some sort of blueish color. If an issue is ever made of it, my dermatologist will write me a prescription for it to protect my sun sensitive skin from UV rays, which will exempt me under the law . . but I don't foresee law enforcement ever making an issue of the tint in the future, to tell the truth.
Sweet! Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll look around for that Air Blue. I want to find one that gives that hint of purple because it looks amazing on the S-Class Mercedes and I think it would be great especially when I get an e93.
Appreciate 0