E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dealer killed my steering wheel audio controls

08-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
glachhman
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Thumbs down Dealer killed my steering wheel audio controls

Took my car into the dealer for a failed water pump last week. They changed the water pump, t stat, and both turbos. Upon their road test my SA said a steering angle sensor error popped up. So they reset the module and road tested the vehicle again and the error did not return. However when I went to pick up the car my steering wheel controls no longer worked.

I brought my car back to the dealer the next morning and my SA had a technician look into the problem. They said my SAS was faulty/failing which caused the steering wheel controls to stop working.

Thoughts on this situation? I'm trying to get the dealer to pay for the new SAS since the steering wheel controls worked perfectly prior to bringing the car in for servicing. I originally assumed they had forgotten to plug in the steering wheel controls however my SA says the steering wheel never came off.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
bhmax16
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M4, '23 CX-50

Resetting the module will not cause the steering wheel controls to lose function. It is true that none of the repairs they performed would require the wheel to come off, so if they are telling the truth then the dealer is not at fault. I'd chalk it up to coincidence. The SAS failure is common with these vehicles, however, I have never heard of the SAS sensor causing audio controls to lose function. They're entirely different systems, so I think they are blowing smoke up your arse with that comment
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
glachhman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhmax16 View Post
Resetting the module will not cause the steering wheel controls to lose function. It is true that none of the repairs they performed would require the wheel to come off, so if they are telling the truth then the dealer is not at fault. I'd chalk it up to coincidence. The SAS failure is common with these vehicles, however, I have never heard of the SAS sensor causing audio controls to lose function. They're entirely different systems, so I think they are blowing smoke up your arse with that comment
Thanks. It is weird that the only thing not functioning are the steering wheel controls.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
glachhman
Banned
Rep

I'm thinking perhaps it could be the slip ring now.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
bhmax16
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M4, '23 CX-50

If it's the slip ring (unless the slip ring failed on its own which is like a 1 in a million chance), then they had your steering wheel off. But yes if the slip ring binds, and the wheel is turned, then the wiring for the steering mounted controls will be torn
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
glachhman
Banned
Rep

Dealer changed the szl and steering wheel buttons. Still no luck, any other idea as to what could be the cause?
Appreciate 0