E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Thule E39 roof rack fitment to E92

08-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
cokeith
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 Sport Premium Winter

Thule E39 roof rack fitment to E92

Application: 2009 E92, 328i

I have a Thule roof mount system from my E39 that I slightly modified for my E92. Both cars have the same type of mounting points and the threads are the same (I believe they were 8mm fine). The first time that a screw is put into the mounting points, they will be very tight because of the paint overspray in the threads.

The difference between the two car's mounting points is that the access panel on the E92 is "shorter". (The access panel is rectangular. I'm referring to the longer sides of the panel.) Therefore the Thule mounting feet are too long to fit into the access opening. Simply cut/grind the width of the Thule mounting feet so they fit into the access panel. I also dipped the cut ends into plastidip. This was very easy to do. I can now use the rack on both my E39 and E92.

I mention this because the Thule E39 roof mounts look good and they will cost you much less (used) than any E92 specific mounts.

Sorry, no pictures.
Appreciate 0