E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Ski bag pass-through busted

08-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

Ski bag pass-through busted

So I have a strange problem. The release handle on my pass through seems to be broken. There are two actuators for the ski bag pass through: the first is the round button that your press to open the ski bag compartment, that works fine; the second is the handle portion that you lift up to remove the ski bag cassette. That seems to be broken. The best way I can describe it is the handle has pulled past the mechanism that disengages the cassette.

Does anyone have a picture of the top of the cassette and how it locks it, and has anyone removed the cassette with a busted handle before??

I think if I can get the cassette out, I can probably get it back together.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

Well, I fixed the problem. The handle has two prongs that pull the lock bar down. Somehow, mine had popped out and were not pulling the lock bar down. The handle trim piece (it has the round hole in it for the button) can be carefully removed and you are left with the actual handle. The handle is held in by two press fit tapered pins. Pull the pins out and the handle will come off. Then use a flat head to push the two ends of the locking bar down and you can remove the cassette.

Once I got the cassette out, it looked like it had been put in wrong and the lock bar was binding in its slide. The plastic keeper for the lock bar was broken, so I just left it out. The cassette fits fine without the locking bar.

Just for your FYI- there is a small trim strip above and below the cassette. If you take that off, you find two sets of t-30 bolts. Removing them will not help if your cassette is broken, so leave them alone!
Appreciate 0