E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW E90 Viper Remote Start or BMW OEM Alarm?

07-31-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
sd_luis
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

BMW E90 Viper Remote Start or BMW OEM Alarm?

Hello I just got my bmw all fixed up and it would be a shame if it got stolen :$. I bought a Viper Remote Start alarm model 5704v but an installer hit at me that I needed a second key and a module, so I just cancelled it but still would like to get it. Any issues with remote start I heard in other threads about how risky they are but please give your opinion if you have only installed in a BMW or Audi or a car like that. For those out there with bmw oem how do you guys like it? I would like OEM over anything, I just like viper better for the 2-way responder I can see from my remote if my car is getting stolen or anything. Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

the thing with aftermarket is that you will lose your second key. only one key will work and the car will not read the second one for you. If you don't mind that then yeah sure aftermarket is good. the two way ones are really good too.

Personally If i was to get one I'd go with the OEM. just because sometimes my gf does drive the car and she has her own key, plus takes away the weight of adding another key onto my key chain. (I have a lot of keys). depending on the car you have you may even have it pre-wired for OEM alarm to make it easier and theres DIY's on here so you can save some $$.

and if you go with aftermarket make sure the installer is insured. i know this sounds weird but a lot of times they are not. mostly because the electrical in these cars are a lot different that most of the cars that get alarms/starters installed.
      07-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
I have the Viper remote start on my Lexus. The install did not require a second key since Viper makes an optional module to mimic the transponder key. if yo opt for this system look for the module instead of leaving a spare key in the car. The remote start world great in warm climates but has some difficulties in extreme cold. my car fails to turn over sometimes. I did not install this system in the bmw because I don't want to splice factory wiring and Ron things since I have comfort access and the like. The lexus is old so no big deal. I would pass
      07-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
sd_luis
Captain
Germany
Rep

That's weird the guy told me that I was going to need an extra key since I only have one I don't know exactly the reason and the only reason I would like viper over oem is for the 2 way pager that will let me know if somebody is breaking into the car or something however I am scared of like you said the installer doing a messy job and make me regret it
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljairo View Post
That's weird the guy told me that I was going to need an extra key since I only have one I don't know exactly the reason and the only reason I would like viper over oem is for the 2 way pager that will let me know if somebody is breaking into the car or something however I am scared of like you said the installer doing a messy job and make me regret it
BMW isn't like other cars. You can't just use program codes to have a box that mimics an RFID chip in regular keys, because the DME operates differently.

But, on E46's you could get a cheap key that had no buttons on it, but would still start the car. That would be good enough for a remote start. Then you aren't out 300$ for another key. I imagine the same thing still exists for the E9X's?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
silver07335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i titanium silver metallic

My previous car had a 2 way Viper alarm with remote start that had power draining issues and the 2 way alert was much shorter than the advertised 1 mile range. It's very difficult finding a shop that can actually install the alarm properly and professionally. I had to go back to the shop multiple times for issues and in the end I got tired of dealing with the problems. I asked another shop about installing a 2 way alarm with remote start and the guy told me to go oem alarm to avoid headaches. I didn't want to sacrifice one of my key fobs for the remote start option. In the end I went with the oem alarm and it works just fine. Too bad BMW doesn't offer a long distance two way alarm option with remote start add-on.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
sd_luis
Captain
Germany
Rep

Thanks a lot for the help guys. OEM it is might be a little more money but sounds like a good investment at the future when trying to sale the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
whenasked
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Waiting for that day when TorqueBHP app plus a bluetooth adapter can do a remote start via a smartphone
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

If someone has the skills and technology to steal a BMW, no alarm no matter how fancy isn't going to faze them.

Yes, the blinking light might be enough deterrent for the casual opportunity thief to move on to another target, but if someone was targeting your specific car for whatever reason, they will get it.

TLDR, just get the OEM alarm.
Appreciate 0