F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Base 320i without Combox - Retrofit?
ARMA SPEED

07-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
TheDukeYYC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: TBD: F30 320i ZSP + ZMT ?

Base 320i without Combox - Retrofit?

Hi All,

I have a base 320i XDrive (Canadian model, if that matters).

I'd like the Bluetooth streaming and ability to plug my iphone5 into the USB port and control it from the car.

I looked in my trunk and I do not have a combox.

1) If I buy one, is it easy as plugging it in? Or do I need to run wires?

2) Which combox do I need? I have no nav, nothing.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
TheDukeYYC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: TBD: F30 320i ZSP + ZMT ?

I am waiting on a cable - just ordered an ENET cable - So I will have to wait fo rthat to determine if I have a combox built into my headunit.

There is definitely NOT one in the trunk.

I have standard bluetooth, no NAV.

Any chance I have the ability to enable enhanced USB (so I can plug in my iPhone5to the USB jack) and enable streaming BT music? Or is there zero chance I have the combox enabled inside my headunit with a base 320i XDrive with premium and lighting packages?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDukeYYC View Post
I am waiting on a cable - just ordered an ENET cable - So I will have to wait fo rthat to determine if I have a combox built into my headunit.

There is definitely NOT one in the trunk.

I have standard bluetooth, no NAV.

Any chance I have the ability to enable enhanced USB (so I can plug in my iPhone5to the USB jack) and enable streaming BT music? Or is there zero chance I have the combox enabled inside my headunit with a base 320i XDrive with premium and lighting packages?
The only way you can have a Combox built into the head unit is your car is 2014+ and has the navigation package. Your vehicle is a 2013 that does not have Nav so you definitely do not have one in the trunk or built into the head unit.

If you wanted to retrofit one, substantial rewiring and coding would be involved; you will probably need to run several cables from the trunk back to the head unit. I'm also not sure if your basic CD/Radio head unit would be compatible with the combox because you would probably need a CIC Head Unit for that to work.

The most practical way is probably to buy the 8.8" CID and a NBT Head unit which has the combox built in, but you will need to change out the USB port in the armrest, and change some of the pinouts going from your old head unit to the new one. If you're not looking to activate navigation on the NBT head unit, it will probably be about $2500 worth of parts.

You can probably check it out on this youtube video.

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 07-31-2013 at 01:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
SpannersUk
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i F30

Hi - New owner with perhaps a stupid question. I have a Sept 13 car - delivered last week with Business Advanced Nav. I really want BT Audio and I read everyone talking about the combox either being in the boot or built into the head unit. My questions are fairly simple...

1) Where in the boot should I look to see if I have a combox?
2) Given I have a new car and Business Nav, Can I simply 'code' up to BT Audio?

Ta
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpannersUk View Post
Hi - New owner with perhaps a stupid question. I have a Sept 13 car - delivered last week with Business Advanced Nav. I really want BT Audio and I read everyone talking about the combox either being in the boot or built into the head unit. My questions are fairly simple...

1) Where in the boot should I look to see if I have a combox?
2) Given I have a new car and Business Nav, Can I simply 'code' up to BT Audio?

Ta
Is your car a 2014 model? Sounds like you're from Europe since you mention that you have business navigation. It's the 6'5" screen you have right?

I think you would need Nav professional and you would have NBT which has a combox built into the boot.

What does the UI of the your Nav look like? Is like the UI of the nav on the video posted above?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
SpannersUk
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i F30

Hi - thanks for the quick response. Yes I'm in the UK. I believe its a 2014 model. Not sure how I tell, other than it was only delivered last week :-)

No - its the more basic nav with the outline'd menu highlights rather than the nice one above.

Sounds like I need an expensive retro fit of the Professional Nav just to get BT Audio? That's really annoying, never mind invalidating my warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpannersUk View Post
Hi - thanks for the quick response. Yes I'm in the UK. I believe its a 2014 model. Not sure how I tell, other than it was only delivered last week :-)

No - its the more basic nav with the outline'd menu highlights rather than the nice one above.

Sounds like I need an expensive retro fit of the Professional Nav just to get BT Audio? That's really annoying, never mind invalidating my warranty.
Yep, it's either that or you can retrofit a combox to your trunk but you will need to run your bluetooth antenna and mic cable to the trunk from the head unit.

If you upgrade to NBT, you just need to change the screen and the head unit and that will give you bluetooth audio streaming but you will need to either purchase the FSC codes for Nav and voice control or buy a $500 adapter for it work again.
Appreciate 0