E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Couple questions coming from a previous muscle car enthusiast

07-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Dhinojosa94
Rep
Drives: Mustang GT

Couple questions coming from a previous muscle car enthusiast

I owned a 2008 Mustang GT which i sold off because i need a more serious/business/formal car. Im looking at a 2011 325i M sport with lots of nice things the mustang never had. My major concern is that i loved sliding/drifting my mustang around occasionally, it just slipped with a light brush to the accelerator. Now, ive lurked the forums and found some mixed opinions about people being afraid of the car with the DTC/ DTS thing off and the car not having an lsd. I just want to know if i can slide the car around corners like i used to do with my mustang if i slam the accelerator harder. When i took it for a test drive the dealer wouldnt allow me to turn the assists off .

Dont get me wrong by no means im hating on the e90, i love every aspect of it.

Kind of like this, without having to weld/change the differential or without having to have a biturbo to do so.

or am i better of getting a camaro or another sort of sport car?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

You can slide a 335i about somewhat, but the e-diff set up will reduce the life of the rear brakes by a good bit. You can also warp the rotors (I know, I have). It won't power-slide like your mustang though.
You can always put an LSD in it for a few grand, if you want. That plus a mild tune from a JB or Cobb or Dinan or even a BMW PPK will have you sideways as much as you like.
      07-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

For more on the e-diff in modern BMWs:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719012
      07-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
AndyR83
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i FBO

335's are powerful and break loose with the traction system off. Not sure about the naturally aspirated brethren, since I've never driven one.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
DanielGonz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i 6 speed

Not happening without an LSD. My boss has a new GT and slides it around everywhere. Every time he does it I get so jealous, and think my 335 sucks a big fat one for not having an LSD.

07 AW E92 335 6MT [18" OEM 193's For Sale, PM me]
OEM Aero Lip | OEM Gloss Black Kidney Grills | KW V2 | Vorsteiner CSL trunk | M-Tech Rear Bumper | LCI Rear Taillights | Angel ibright Angel Eyes | 3000K HID fogs | 6000k HID low beams | AFE DCI | Full LED conversion
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

If you're used to tire-liquifying torque, you'd be much happier with a 335i. Just sayin'.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
deathbunny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
If you're used to tire-liquifying torque, you'd be much happier with a 335i. Just sayin'.
+1

If your serious about buying one go find a dealer that will let you actually drive the thing. I got pulled over on a back road going over 120 on a test drive, luckily the dealer got yelled at more for letting me do it and for constantly testing on this road and I just got a warning Apparently the people that lived along it had called the cops and complained about them testing cars at high speeds often I guess after that they had to find a new road. They were a rare and epic dealership but I have been on many test drives and never had anyone tell me I couldn't turn stability or traction control off.
      07-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
Dhinojosa94
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGonz View Post
Not happening without an LSD. My boss has a new GT and slides it around everywhere. Every time he does it I get so jealous, and think my 335 sucks a big fat one for not having an LSD.
well newer mustangs have even more torque, if my 4.6 slid around by just barely touching the gas at 330 torque i imagine what the 5.o with 400 does, mustangs slide alot, however have you tried floring it on corners with everything off?

Quote:
too expensive and only 2010+ models here have the iDrive and all that fancy stuff that i feel is what makes a bmw worth having

i read the E-dif thread and said you can drift just fine, i guess im trying to schedule another test drive tomorrow and see if i can get away with trying to drift cause there are so many different opinions here,
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGonz
I thought the whole point of an LSD was to stop you from sliding around and putting more power down? LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
I thought the whole point of an LSD was to stop you from sliding around and putting more power down? LOL
That'd be the difference between a controlled and uncontrolled slide.

All the pro drifters pretty much consider an LSD to be absolutely necessary to their racing.
      07-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

From the wiki on Drifting:

Drift tuning

Drive train
A proper mechanical limited slip differential (LSD) is almost considered essential for drifting. Attempting to drift with an open or viscous differential in a sustained slide generally yields relatively less impressive results. All other modifications are secondary to the LSD.
The preferred form of LSD for drifting is the clutch type, in "2-way" form, for its consistent and aggressive lockup behavior under all conditions (acceleration and deceleration). Some drift cars use a spool "differential", which actually has no differential action at all - the wheels are locked to each other. Budget-minded drifters may use a welded differential, where the side gears are welded to give the same effect as a spool. This makes it easier to break rear traction because it reduces maximum traction in all situations except traveling in a straight line. Welded differentials have an inherent risk involved, due to the tremendous amounts of internal stress the welds may fail and the differential completely locks up leaving the rear wheels immobilized. Helical torque sensing types such as the Torsen or Quaife (available on cars in certain stock trims such as S15, FD3S, MX-5, JZA8x, UZZ3x) differentials are also adequate.
The clutches on drift cars tend to be very tough ceramic brass button or multiple-plate varieties, for durability, as well as to allow rapid "clutch kick" techniques to upset the balance of the car. Gearbox and engine mounts are often replaced with urethane or aluminum mounts, and dampers added to control the violent motion of the engine/gearbox under these conditions.
Gearsets may be replaced with closer ratios to keep the engine in the power band. These may be coarser dog engagement straight cut gears instead of synchronised helical gears, for durability and faster shifting at the expense of noise and refinement. Wealthier drifters may use sequential gearboxes to make gear selection easier/faster, while sequential shift lever adapters can be used to make shifts easier without increasing shift time.
      07-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

I'm in a very similar boat, sort of. I have a blown '07 GT putting down around 600. I also have a 335i. It's a completely different experience in that the BMW does everything you ask it to very, very well with little drama. My Mustang does too, but it's nowhere near stock. The difference is that I don't feel like Bruce Lee used my kidneys as a punching bag after driving the BMW. The classic BMW weight distribution and brake balance is so good you'll never look back. I still love the Mustang for days when I'm in the mood for a hammer. The BMWs are for days when I prefer a scalpel.

Ironically, my Mustang was my daily driver for the last 5 years. It's hardly a good car for someone hauling clients around, but every last one of my clients is disappointed if I DON'T bring it by every once in a while and take them for a ride.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

That's it I'm sold on the LSD. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger soon- sounds like the last thing I need performance wise to round things off!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire

LSD is going to make drifting more reliable but they're expensive and add NVH typically.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #15
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
That's it I'm sold on the LSD I think I'm gonna pull the trigger soon- sounds like the last thing I need performance wise to round things off!
The e-diff in our cars is actually quite good, and performs very well even on a track under extreme conditions. Unless you are doing extensive tracking, I wouldn't think an LSD would be necessary.

I'd say the biggest downsides to the ediff we have is that it can cook the rear brakes more quickly than otherwise, wear down the rear brakes way more quickly than otherwise, and can warp the rotors given enough sustained high performance driving (I can attest to the last two as I've had the rears replaced twice now and my rear rotors warped once). Edit: And I surmise an e-diff probably has slightly (but only slightly) greater losses of energy to friction than an LSD.

Also, installing an LSD will not turn off the e-diff. It can't be turned off, afaik. It won't be intrusive once an LSD is installed, though, and will only kick in under more extreme conditions.

Read that first link I posted in this thread about e diffs for much more detailed info.
      07-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #16
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Ah ok....reading now! Thanks again man. Should be better traction in bad weather too as a nice "side effect", or so I hear.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #17
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire

You can turn off traction control completely to prevent the car from auto-braking I believe
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #18
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
LSD is going to make drifting more reliable but they're expensive and add NVH typically.
I have Quaife LSD and it is the best mod for this car. Completely silent and very reliable. edif sucks balls especially on track. It kills the throttle and you are constantly fighting the car instead of learning how to properly modulate the throttle and steer properly. I turn traction nanny off completely. BMW made a huge mistake of not offering LSD as an option. e9x can't put power down without LSD, no question about it. It is also amazing during winter with snows.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #19
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhinojosa94 View Post
(re: 335i) too expensive and only 2010+ models here have the iDrive and all that fancy stuff that i feel is what makes a bmw worth having
iDrive was an option on all E9x; 2009 brought the update to CIC which is probably what you want, but earlier CCC is still OK. If you like the doodads you probably want to look for a 2009+ car with 6FL which gives you the USB port in the console for your music collection or iPhone.

There was a later update to CIC which brought more functionality, I think 2011 or 2012? not sure, my car is a 2009. One of the things that gets you is ability to stream music over Bluetooth and also more online stuff but honestly I don't miss either. Maybe if I'd had it I would think differently but at least the BT streaming seems gimmicky to me, I have it in my Jeep (aftermarket JVC head unit) and I can tell the difference in sound quality between the exact same files played through my phone over BT and played off a thumb drive to the USB input. Maybe BMW does it better? haven't tried it...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #20
Dhinojosa94
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog View Post
That'd be the difference between a controlled and uncontrolled slide.

All the pro drifters pretty much consider an LSD to be absolutely necessary to their racing.
yeah, but i dont plan on doing mile long 120kmh drifts, just slide corners here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
I'm in a very similar boat, sort of. I have a blown '07 GT putting down around 600. I also have a 335i. It's a completely different experience in that the BMW does everything you ask it to very, very well with little drama. My Mustang does too, but it's nowhere near stock. The difference is that I don't feel like Bruce Lee used my kidneys as a punching bag after driving the BMW. The classic BMW weight distribution and brake balance is so good you'll never look back. I still love the Mustang for days when I'm in the mood for a hammer. The BMWs are for days when I prefer a scalpel.

Ironically, my Mustang was my daily driver for the last 5 years. It's hardly a good car for someone hauling clients around, but every last one of my clients is disappointed if I DON'T bring it by every once in a while and take them for a ride.
Mines been my DD for 5 years or so now, what do you work on? Im on a similar boat(real estate for larger constructions such as warehouses and such), but our clients frown upon me showing up in my mustang cause they usually believe its too child like and immature(heavily modded) plus since im starting with medschool my mom thought i needed a more doctor like car, i was gona get a black camaro but someone else beat me to it.

To put my question in simpler terms, can i do short basic powerslides with a 325i(v6 one)?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #21
Dhinojosa94
Rep

Quote:
iDrive was an option on all E9x; 2009 brought the update to CIC which is probably what you want, but earlier CCC is still OK. If you like the doodads you probably want to look for a 2009+ car with 6FL which gives you the USB port in the console for your music collection or iPhone.

There was a later update to CIC which brought more functionality, I think 2011 or 2012? not sure, my car is a 2009. One of the things that gets you is ability to stream music over Bluetooth and also more online stuff but honestly I don't miss either. Maybe if I'd had it I would think differently but at least the BT streaming seems gimmicky to me, I have it in my Jeep (aftermarket JVC head unit) and I can tell the difference in sound quality between the exact same files played through my phone over BT and played off a thumb drive to the USB input. Maybe BMW does it better? haven't tried it...
The 325i i was offered is fully loaded, it has that thing that you connect ur iphone to the usb in the armrest and integrates with idrive and has heated seats and steering wheel and bang and olfensen, i believe it has all if not most of the optional packages
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #22
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
FYI...Myth about warped rotors.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

BMWCCA member