F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Do we really need Xpel on the F30?
Studio RSR

07-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Do we really need Xpel on the F30?

I got it on my current car, and was all set to do it again on the replacement. But in looking at the shape of the nose and all, and the fact I have no marks in the Xpel, I was thinking that maybe it's not as critical as it was on my E46s.

Any former Xpel users opt out on the F30?
      07-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

I dunno but I definitely have some chips in on my front bumper...
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Do you get dinged for rock chips on lease return?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

While the bumper cover isn't quite as "flat" as the E46, it's still plenty susceptible to chips. The fenders are definitely susceptible. The hood might actually tend to get hit higher up from the leading edge because it slopes down so far.

I did mine myself with 3M film.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
I did mine myself with 3M film.
How does it look, do you have any pic threads? How much coverage did you do?

IMO PPF is fantastic when you do full front - with no seams anywhere. But it's definitely a lot of cash, so if I could DIY that makes sense for future cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
How does it look, do you have any pic threads? How much coverage did you do?

IMO PPF is fantastic when you do full front - with no seams anywhere. But it's definitely a lot of cash, so if I could DIY that makes sense for future cars.
It would have turned out a lot better if we didn't have a power failure leaving me in a pitch black garage right as I was peeling the backing from the bumper film. Doing it in January didn't help either.

The M Sport bumper has no less than eleventy billion different compound curves, angles and planes. Not to mention there are at least 50 holes in the cut film. I ended up with a couple of tiny crinkles/bubbles that I just couldn't work out. It's good enough that folks don't immediately believe me when I say I did it myself so I guess it's not THAT bad. I'm just a perfectionist.

The whole concept of me doing it myself was an experiment of sorts. I had low expectations and only paid about $200 for the materials. I bought it from a dealer on Ebay. The standard pattern takes it about 18" up the hood. There are a lot of compound curves and angles on the nose of the F30 so it blends in pretty well. You only really notice the edge on the hood, and even then only if you're looking for it at the correct angle.

Working with this film is not for the faint of heart. It requires a lot of patience, judicious use of lubricants, more patience and a bit of a crystal ball so you can predict where something 10 steps ahead will end up. In short, it's a bitch.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Do you get dinged for rock chips on lease return?
Leases account for normal wear and tear.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It would have turned out a lot better if we didn't have a power failure leaving me in a pitch black garage right as I was peeling the backing from the bumper film. Doing it in January didn't help either.

The M Sport bumper has no less than eleventy billion different compound curves, angles and planes. Not to mention there are at least 50 holes in the cut film. I ended up with a couple of tiny crinkles/bubbles that I just couldn't work out. It's good enough that folks don't immediately believe me when I say I did it myself so I guess it's not THAT bad. I'm just a perfectionist.

The whole concept of me doing it myself was an experiment of sorts. I had low expectations and only paid about $200 for the materials. I bought it from a dealer on Ebay. The standard pattern takes it about 18" up the hood. There are a lot of compound curves and angles on the nose of the F30 so it blends in pretty well. You only really notice the edge on the hood, and even then only if you're looking for it at the correct angle.

Working with this film is not for the faint of heart. It requires a lot of patience, judicious use of lubricants, more patience and a bit of a crystal ball so you can predict where something 10 steps ahead will end up. In short, it's a bitch.

F30 EBII obviously looks incredible! From that far it's hard to tell how good your job was, but still impressive nonetheless. Considering you saved around 1+k, that's awesome. I might look into doing this on my next car, depending on what it is (I think a 60k car is the max price I'd DIY PPF, after that would go with a pro).
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
Bimmerfestool
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

Looks good from here... It's funny I think I may have seen you driving down route 252 in Paoli some time ago, is that possible? I noted the M-Sport, the color, and the car also had a euro plate up front.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
F30 EBII obviously looks incredible! From that far it's hard to tell how good your job was, but still impressive nonetheless. Considering you saved around 1+k, that's awesome. I might look into doing this on my next car, depending on what it is (I think a 60k car is the max price I'd DIY PPF, after that would go with a pro).
You can see a tiny bit of lifting to the right of center along the lower grill as well as a little under the right upper grill. I don't think I would have had any issues at all if we didn't loose power. It was a bitch trying to get the film back on the backing paper without it folding over on itself. I couldn't help it in a few spots, so I think the adhesive was a bit buggered.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfestool View Post
Looks good from here... It's funny I think I may have seen you driving down route 252 in Paoli some time ago, is that possible? I noted the M-Sport, the color, and the car also had a euro plate up front.
Definitely possible. I'm all over the region since I have accounts from Dover to Jersey City and AC to Harrisburg. I cover a pretty big area...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
Bimmerfestool
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Definitely possible. I'm all over the region since I have accounts from Dover to Jersey City and AC to Harrisburg. I cover a pretty big area...
That's cool, small world.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #13
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfestool View Post
That's cool, small world.
That's for damn sure.

You'll likely be seeing another in the area soon. I was at Otto's this afternoon and saw an EBII 335 xDrive on the lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
Bimmerfestool
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's for damn sure.

You'll likely be seeing another in the area soon. I was at Otto's this afternoon and saw an EBII 335 xDrive on the lot.
Oh don't worry there are 2 EBII at my dealership in Devon as well. Still sitting on the lot, I test drove them but ordering my own M-Sport (in white) and doing an ED.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #15
endless402
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 EBII

did my front bumper today with xpel ultimate. installer did a good job. lines are almost invisible. the mirrors were the most noticeable part since the top piece on the mirror was separate
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #16
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by endless402 View Post
did my front bumper today with xpel ultimate. installer did a good job. lines are almost invisible. the mirrors were the most noticeable part since the top piece on the mirror was separate
On my current car I didn't do the bumper, but did do the hood, lights and mirrors. Maybe on the new one I'll forgo the hood and do the bumper instead.

Those light modules are expensive so that is a must have I guess.
      08-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #17
TwinPowerF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Does XPEL look yellow on a white car?
Appreciate 0