E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Ebrake disconnects by itself?

07-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 lci

Ebrake disconnects by itself?

Hi guys,
I got a e90 lci steptronic, today when i was at a traffic signal i left the car in "N" (neutral) & pulled the Handbrake since it was a long signal, once the signal went green i just shifter the Gear to "D"(Drive) without disengaging the Ebrake. I drove few meters ahead & then the car popped up the "P brake" sign & kept making the Bong sound but i didn't feel any resistance from the ebrake, so wanted to know does it switch off auto or i didn't feel must resistance cause our cars are rwds? I know the e90 has manual handbrake so this surprised me.

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

it doesn't switch it off, the ebrake just wasn't engaged super tight when you drove off. The e brakes are small, so it doesn't take much to overpower it, unless it's really cranked down (or you are going in reverse).

So you were just wearing out the brake shoes for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
mjmarovi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: blue 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane79 View Post
Hi guys,
I got a e90 lci steptronic, today when i was at a traffic signal i left the car in "N" (neutral) & pulled the Handbrake since it was a long signal, once the signal went green i just shifter the Gear to "D"(Drive) without disengaging the Ebrake. I drove few meters ahead & then the car popped up the "P brake" sign & kept making the Bong sound but i didn't feel any resistance from the ebrake, so wanted to know does it switch off auto or i didn't feel must resistance cause our cars are rwds? I know the e90 has manual handbrake so this surprised me.

Thanks..
tell me you didn't do this on purpose...
      07-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
it doesn't switch it off, the ebrake just wasn't engaged super tight when you drove off. The e brakes are small, so it doesn't take much to overpower it, unless it's really cranked down (or you are going in reverse).

So you were just wearing out the brake shoes for a bit.
What you mean the ebrakes are small? i thought the normal rear brake pads are used? isn't it? yup i didn't engage it all the way up(till the last click) thats for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmarovi View Post
tell me you didn't do this on purpose...
Not at all, was impulsive & feel sad it happened now
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire

The e brake is a drum style brake inside of the hub assembly. Yours are just worn a bit and you overpowered them
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
The e brake is a drum style brake inside of the hub assembly. Yours are just worn a bit and you overpowered them
Even when new it's not very powerful - a good reason to always park in gear with a manual transmission.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
crap is there a way to check their life through idrive like normal brake pads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Even when new it's not very powerful - a good reason to always park in gear with a manual transmission.

Tom
yes whenever i park i put it on "P" mode which is like a gear in manual,
well i got this car used, any idea when the E brake drums are replaced in miles?

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
hailpersia
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane79
Hi guys,

Thanks..
was this really easier than keeping your foot on the brake? going through all that shit and now all this? this just makes no sense...a bit idiotic is my opinion.

p.s. I think you were trying to pose and you got caught up...just saying.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

hahahah happens to me like once every couple months. i forget to put the ebrake down and drive a few feet, then the dash lights up and bongs away like a party.

btw, putting it in neutral at a stoplight with an auto is completely useless. just leave the damn thing in D. you dont have a stick.

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep

No way to check if they are worn. Best test is to have someone in the car ready for a roll, park it on a steep hill, put it in park and pull the e-brake, have someone try and push the car downhill. If it squeals and moves then it may be a bit too worn for comfort. It's pretty unlikely they are that worn out though. I just replaced all the e-brake parts recently and mine looked mostly fine after 70k miles and didn't really need to be changed. It may also just need to be adjusted so it'll tighten up with less lift of the e-brake handle.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
or it needs adjusting. pull that shit tight bro!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No way to check if they are worn. Best test is to have someone in the car ready for a roll, park it on a steep hill, put it in park and pull the e-brake, have someone try and push the car downhill. If it squeals and moves then it may be a bit too worn for comfort. It's pretty unlikely they are that worn out though. I just replaced all the e-brake parts recently and mine looked mostly fine after 70k miles and didn't really need to be changed. It may also just need to be adjusted so it'll tighten up with less lift of the e-brake handle.
well my car has done only 15k miles, so i guess the ebrake drums are fine, i want to get them adjusted as i have to pull that dam thing all the way up for full lock. Is it difficult to adjust the ebrake? major work at the dealer?

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
well my car has done only 15k miles, so i guess the ebrake drums are fine, i want to get them adjusted as i have to pull that dam thing all the way up for full lock. Is it difficult to adjust the ebrake? major work at the dealer?

Thanks..
take it to an indy shop. my guy re-adjusted my ebrake in like 30 min.

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
1chanc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

I used to do that too....

when I was in high school!

Not trying to bash you or anything, but seriously, what is the point in leaving it in neutral and using the handbrake? What and who are you trying to prove?
Like hailpersia said, might have been a lot less work to just keep your foot on the brakes. and if it was reallllly that long of a wait, then you just should have shut down the car.
      07-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

do all cars have a brake shoe/drum for ebrake? or they use the rear brakes..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #16
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
do all cars have a brake shoe/drum for ebrake? or they use the rear brakes..
I think most cars just use the rear brake. My bmw is the only car I've owned that uses the shoes inside the rotor hat.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #17
hailpersia
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chanc3
I used to do that too....

when I was in high school!

Not trying to bash you or anything, but seriously, what is the point in leaving it in neutral and using the handbrake? What and who are you trying to prove?
Like hailpersia said, might have been a lot less work to just keep your foot on the brakes. and if it was reallllly that long of a wait, then you just should have shut down the car.
I use to do that too when I got my first car, pretend like its a manual at lights and shit. yea I grew out of that.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #18
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

the ebrake doesnt really get worn out unless you make it a habit of driving with it up all the time.

and +1 to no use in using neutral + ebrake for an auto.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #19
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

thanks for the info guys, i switch from"D" to "N" in signals cause i feel leaving it on Drive & keepign the brakes pressed in signals wears the rear brake pads & heats up the gearbox?
am i right?

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep

nope
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #21
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

hmmmn, guess was being paranoid thinking that holding the brake in traffic signals in "Drive" mode was bad for the brakes & gearbox.

Thanks for the help guys..
Appreciate 0