BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-22-2013, 04:13 AM   #1
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Adaptive Suspension Options

Hey folks

I'm looking at buying a new UK spec F15 3.0d M Sport/SE, but I'm a little baffled by the suspension options.

The SE has optional 'Adaptive Suspension Package Comfort' which I guess includes Dynamic Damping Control and rear air suspension but configured for Comfort.

M-Sport has 'Adaptive M Suspension' as standard, again with DDC and rear air suspension, but primarily configured for a firmer/tighter ride.

My question is, can the Adaptive M Suspension be switched to comfort mode, so that it will offer the same level of ride comfort as the SE with Comfort Suspension? Effectively giving the best of both worlds, assuming like for like wheel size and type?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
gplank
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 Sport Utility 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Hey folks

I'm looking at buying a new UK spec F15 3.0d M Sport/SE, but I'm a little baffled by the suspension options.

The SE has optional 'Adaptive Suspension Package Comfort' which I guess includes Dynamic Damping Control and rear air suspension but configured for Comfort.

M-Sport has 'Adaptive M Suspension' as standard, again with DDC and rear air suspension, but primarily configured for a firmer/tighter ride.

My question is, can the Adaptive M Suspension be switched to comfort mode, so that it will offer the same level of ride comfort as the SE with Comfort Suspension? Effectively giving the best of both worlds, assuming like for like wheel size and type?
Darn good question. I wish someone knew. Like you, I want the M-sport look and options, but without sacrificing the option to have the best ride comfort.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

It does let you change the chassis to sport or comfort oriented on the F30, so I would assume it would on the F15 when you get the Adaptive M suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Whatcar have reviewed the x5 msport with the msport adaptive suspension, and they reckoned the ride quality was poor, even on comfort setting. That's on 20" wheels on UK roads. Looks like SE with comfort suspension for me then
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

"The 30d rides on conventional steel springs in entry-level SE trim, but our test car was an M Sport model with adaptive suspension. In Sport mode, the ride is downright uncomfortable, and even in Comfort, things get rather choppy on pockmarked and patched-up road surfaces. The optional 20-inch alloys fitted to our test car (19s come as standard) probably didnt help matters."
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
mattbar1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M Sport 50i

M Sport Suspension ordering rules

This is from my dealer, hope it helps everyone:

Factory have come back to me with the suspension ordering rules. When opting for the M Sport Package, you have the choice of going with standard suspension (ZSU), Adaptive M suspension ($900) or the Dynamic Handling Package (ZDA) at an additional $4500.

The adaptive M suspension includes dynamic damper control and rear air suspension which provides a more rigid sport suspension. Following is an explanation of the dynamic damper control:

A control unit on each wheel evaluates movements four hundred times a second and adjusts the shock absorbers accordingly. The electronics system works so fast that when the front wheels encounter a pothole, information is sent to the rear wheels so that sufficient cushioning is in place. The rebound and compression damping are continually and independently set to end the need for compromise which means that the dampers adapt to the state of the road irrespective of which Dynamic Driving Control mode is selected, for exceptional ride comfort even when driving hard on bumpy surfaces.

Dynamic Handling package includes Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension and Dynamic Performance Control + Active Role Stabilization. This package provides a more “comfort” drive experience as it includes automatic rear self-leveling suspension, by a touch of a button, you can raise the suspension when on bumpy roads and it will automatically deflate on smoother surfaces. The dynamic performance control enhances your steering and the active roll stabilization helps minimize body roll when cornering sharp bends which is helped by stabilizer bars.

The adaptive M suspension will offer a more sport orientated suspension set up, where as the dynamic handling package is more for comfort. This being said, your BMW will come standard with driving dynamics control which gives you the preferences of Comfort, Sport and Sport driving modes. The above packages allow you to further adjust your suspension to a more detailed preference.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbar1 View Post

Factory have come back to me with the suspension ordering rules. When opting for the M Sport Package, you have the choice of going with standard suspension (ZSU), Adaptive M suspension ($900) or the Dynamic Handling Package (ZDA) at an additional $4500.

The adaptive M suspension includes dynamic damper control and rear air suspension which provides a more rigid sport suspension. Following is an explanation of the dynamic damper control:

A control unit on each wheel evaluates movements four hundred times a second and adjusts the shock absorbers accordingly. The electronics system works so fast that when the front wheels encounter a pothole, information is sent to the rear wheels so that sufficient cushioning is in place. The rebound and compression damping are continually and independently set to end the need for compromise which means that the dampers adapt to the state of the road irrespective of which Dynamic Driving Control mode is selected, for exceptional ride comfort even when driving hard on bumpy surfaces.

Dynamic Handling package includes Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension and Dynamic Performance Control + Active Role Stabilization. This package provides a more “comfort” drive experience as it includes automatic rear self-leveling suspension, by a touch of a button, you can raise the suspension when on bumpy roads and it will automatically deflate on smoother surfaces. The dynamic performance control enhances your steering and the active roll stabilization helps minimize body roll when cornering sharp bends which is helped by stabilizer bars.

The adaptive M suspension will offer a more sport orientated suspension set up, where as the dynamic handling package is more for comfort. This being said, your BMW will come standard with driving dynamics control which gives you the preferences of Comfort, Sport and Sport driving modes. The above packages allow you to further adjust your suspension to a more detailed preference.
My understanding is the whole point of spending the $4500 on the dynamic handling package is get enhanced cornering and stability i.e. a sportier handling X5 not a softer gentler X5.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
mattbar1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten
Quote:

My understanding is the whole point of spending the $4500 on the dynamic handling package is get enhanced cornering and stability i.e. a sportier handling X5 not a softer gentler X5.
I agree. I think the salesman misspoke there. I think it could possibly make it a softer ride if chosen. But over all it's for performance...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
I agree. I think the salesman misspoke there. I think it could possibly make it a softer ride if chosen. But over all it's for performance...
I failed to thank you for the summary. Thanks. Agree with your comments above.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Yes ... That would be a hard sell. Yup just spent an extra $4500 so my car is all spongy, soft, rolls in corners and generally drives like a Buick.

You do get a 1 week supply of barf bags though "free" with the option.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #11
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Where did you see the option to add Adaptative M suspension for $900? I got the M Sport package for the look so not looking for a sporty ride but just curious since I did not see this option when configuring my car.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #12
mattbar1
Private First Class
Rep

It's not on the builder on the website. It's listed on the PDF spec sheet.

The website builder does not show all available options, and doesn't explain much.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 03:37 AM   #13
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Do you have to get Dynamic Handling package to have multiple suspension settings?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #14
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

2VF Adaptive M Suspension.

As asked and replied above. The pricing guide is 7-15-2013. There may be updates?

ZMM M Sport
ZSU Standard Suspension x x x x
or 2VF Adaptive M Suspension + $900 + $900 + $900 + $900

Includes M foot rest and M door sills. x
Launch Control included with sport automatic transmission.
Includes M foot rest and M door sills. x x x
Unique tailpipe design for 6-cylinder models.
Launch Control included with sport automatic transmission

There should be some explanation/differences for 2VF compared to the $4,500 DHP.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 03:09 AM   #15
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep
Drives: X5 40d Msport

Guys,
For what its worth I have a EU/UK printed price list open in front of me and it clearly states that the Adaptive M Suspension is included AS STANDARD for the M Sport model at no extra cost.
The price list on the front say "From July 2013"
There maybe update but I've not had any yet from my dealer although the X5 isnt formally launched here for another few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 04:34 AM   #16
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5pilot View Post
Guys,
For what its worth I have a EU/UK printed price list open in front of me and it clearly states that the Adaptive M Suspension is included AS STANDARD for the M Sport model at no extra cost.
There maybe update but I've not had any yet from my dealer although the X5 isnt formally launched here for another few weeks.
Worldwide Pricing and Options Pricing and even option availability is different (i.e. TPMS, High Beam Assistant). Australia apparently does not receive as many of the electronic options. Hopefully 2VF is included in your country. In Canada, 2VF is included with M Sport Line ( as per Pricing Guideline it was $3200 Aug 1 then on Sept 15 MSport Line jumped to $4000).
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #17
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

So the dynamic handling package is the equivalent of adaptive drive on the E70, which used to cost $3500.
      10-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #18
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

30D SE with 20" & Adaptive Suspension Comfort package

Quote:
"The 30d rides on conventional steel springs in entry-level SE trim, but our test car was an M Sport model with adaptive suspension. In Sport mode, the ride is downright uncomfortable, and even in Comfort, things get rather choppy on pockmarked and patched-up road surfaces. The optional 20-inch alloys fitted to our test car (19s come as standard) probably didnt help matters."
At the risk of confusing things and myself futher..I like the look of the black 20" wheels and want a comfortable ride as our roads in the West Country are not great. I don't however want the car wallowing about. Is it a sensible option to go for the 20" and Adaptive Suspension Comfort package on the SE Spec? Much as I like the M Sport I have to have the side steps for my wife AND I don't like the thought of a choppy ride which the M Sport is bound to give. Any suggestions or compromises welcome. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #19
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I 'm in the same predicament. Msport is best value but suspect the ride is going to be poor. That leaves an SE with dynamic pack (19" wheels) and adaptive comfort suspension. Problem is I doubt we'll be able to get a test drive with such a setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #20
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
I 'm in the same predicament. Msport is best value but suspect the ride is going to be poor. That leaves an SE with dynamic pack (19" wheels) and adaptive comfort suspension. Problem is I doubt we'll be able to get a test drive with such a setup.
I'm test driving on the 16th November. I don't exactly know what, suspect it's the M Sport I saw in the dealers garage earlier this month so will let you know what it's like. Keep in touch we should compare notes!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #21
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Definitely. Hopefully we'll get some SE reviews surfacing soon, either in the press or by the lucky new owners.

I had an msport 520d tourer as a loaner, and the ride was truly awful. Unsettled and uncomfortable, which has made me wary. It didn't have vdc mind but still ...

We would also benefit from the running boards for the kids, so it's looking like SE all the way. Shame though, the msport package works out the same money as my SE spec with dynamic package, but will be worth 3k more at least come resale. Don't suppose it matters if I keep it long enough, which is 'always' the plan
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #22
mattbar1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5pilot View Post
Guys,

I originally posted information about the different suspension options on the M sport...

Today the "Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension S02VM" for $1500 became selectable with M Sports on the website (USA) Build Configurator. I am not sure what this change means (Adaptive M Suspension is now standard or ???) but it must mean something.

I am waiting on clarification from my dealer.

Please share if you have more knowledge.
Appreciate 0