E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HELP..car not starting at all, ibs error?

07-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
tofupwr
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

HELP..car not starting at all, ibs error?

Hope someone can help. The 335xi is not starting at all and no light is on. It wasnt the first time. But previously the car started after awhile. This time it is not starting even after a day. My research is it might be the battery or the ibs. Checked voltage on battery, it is 12.7v. I think that is normal. Checked the ibs against ground, one is showing 5v and the other one is showing zero when they are disconnected. When it is connected, the one was showing 5v become zero and the zero become 5v (reversed). Is this normal or not? Cant think of any other reasons.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

The car is dead dead? As in the hazard lights don't even work? 12v is good to start. Sounds like IBS or the battery cable problem that they issued a recall for (not sure if your year is part of that).

I would clean the terminals and reattach the cables just for the heck of it too
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

I remember reading that when a new car is being transported they have a special cable hooked up around the battery terminal area. Once the car arrives at the dealership and goes thru PDI, they remove that cable and leave it off to the side. I think that can by pass the IBS??? Also you can try disconnection the IBS???

If your battery was failing and u jump started the car... I hope u used the jump points under the hood and NEVER from the physical battery in the trunk (you could blow out the junction box and that would be a cool $1000 to fix/recode).
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
tofupwr
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

Thank you for the info guys, towed it back to the bmw dealer and found out it was the recall on battery cable. The cable was melted and they changed a new fuse box for me, thanks!
Appreciate 0