E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bad Battery cause bad WP?

07-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
Bluesnake01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Sedan, 6AT

Bad Battery cause bad WP?

Unfortunately, I also became a victim of car overheating Had barely gotten on the freeway and I soon as I turned on the A/C, hot air was coming out and then I received the yellow then red message. Now, not too long ago I received a letter from my BMW dealer about a recall regarding my battery terminals being replaced. My battery also has had low charges, not common but I get them here and there on start up. My clock either gets reseted to 00:00 or if I leave the ignition on for about 2 min or so I receive a warning on battery being low.

Car gets driven at least 40 miles a day and I always thought it recharges fine (stupid me I know ). Been seeing a couple threads about battery being a potential cause for the water pump not turning on. Im going to scan it using the BT tool to see if I receive any additional codes later on today. I havent checked the engine bay for spilled coolant yet, seems like thats a common thing to happen on bad water pumps.

09 335i, has 62k miles running on the original water pump. My question is can a bad battery be the cause of it? I know, I know, im expecting it to be the water pump on top of it but one can hope right?
      07-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: SLOW

I doubt your battery is the culprit for this matter. Get your waterpump done, and take your car in for the recall. Ultimately you will need to change your battery as well since it seems like it is pretty weak.

You are lucky your car heated up as you pulled in your driveway haha!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
Bluesnake01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyMan'sBMW View Post
I doubt your battery is the culprit for this matter. Get your waterpump done, and take your car in for the recall. Ultimately you will need to change your battery as well since it seems like it is pretty weak.

You are lucky your car heated up as you pulled in your driveway haha!
I wish it happened on the driveway. I had barely gotten on the freeway, luckily though it happened 2 miles from home. I got off right away and was lucky ebough to pull inside a gas station. Waited for about 10-15 min, tried to chance it to drive it home but no luck, my temp warnings turned on no later than one min from driving. My fans were spinning like crazy as they should.

Very anxious to see if it spilled or leaked any coolant as it had gotten a low coolant light before about 6 months ago. Wont find out till I get home from work
      07-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnake01 View Post
I wish it happened on the driveway. I had barely gotten on the freeway, luckily though it happened 2 miles from home. I got off right away and was lucky ebough to pull inside a gas station. Waited for about 10-15 min, tried to chance it to drive it home but no luck, my temp warnings turned on no later than one min from driving. My fans were spinning like crazy as they should.

Very anxious to see if it spilled or leaked any coolant as it had gotten a low coolant light before about 6 months ago. Wont find out till I get home from work
Good luck man! When my water pump went out I was about 3-5 miles from my house. It took me half a day and three different parking spots to get it home lol!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Bluesnake01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Good luck man! When my water pump went out I was about 3-5 miles from my house. It took me half a day and three different parking spots to get it home lol!
Thanks man! Don't know too many indy shops besides Babarian Workshop which I heard mixed reviews about, might do it on my own. One very weird thing also, I never saw my oil temps rise at all, they were perfectly normal. Is it supposed to be that way?
      07-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man! Don't know too many indy shops besides Babarian Workshop which I heard mixed reviews about, might do it on my own. One very weird thing also, I never saw my oil temps rise at all, they were perfectly normal. Is it supposed to be that way?
I would suppose that the water pump would give out before ultimately failing, rather than fail altogether at once.

Have you gotten the red sign saying that your car is over heating? or just yellow saying that the car is running warmer than its supposed to? Maybe try topping off the coolant and driving before changing the pump?

As far as indy shops go, maybe posting in your regional forum will being you some luck
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Bluesnake01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I would suppose that the water pump would give out before ultimately failing, rather than fail altogether at once.

Have you gotten the red sign saying that your car is over heating? or just yellow saying that the car is running warmer than its supposed to? Maybe try topping off the coolant and driving before changing the pump?

As far as indy shops go, maybe posting in your regional forum will being you some luck
I got both yellow and red. Red turned on both times right instantly after the yellow sign was on. Im wondering if its the thermostat that went out? My a/c was also blowing hot air when it was first turned on, before I recieved the warning signs.
      07-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep

Quote:
I got both yellow and red. Red turned on both times right instantly after the yellow sign was on. Im wondering if its the thermostat that went out? My a/c was also blowing hot air when it was first turned on, before I recieved the warning signs.
yea its def your waterpump then

is your heat blow cold?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #9
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

I assume you did not have any coolant leaks ?

Saw my friend's ride had the same problems and it turned out to be a leak on his expansion tank.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
Bluesnake01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
yea its def your waterpump then

is your heat blow cold?
Didn't try the heat. I turned off the car as soon as I could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Bean_Bun View Post
I assume you did not have any coolant leaks ?

Saw my friend's ride had the same problems and it turned out to be a leak on his expansion tank.
Honestly I never checked. I never noticed any leaks but like I said, I had to top the coolant before. Im sure if it was leaking or had low coolant, it wouldve warned me as it did once before. Unless it all happened too fast?
Im checking out the codes, coolants, and any leaks as soon as I get home.

I really hope its not the pump but all signs lead to it.
      07-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep

Quote:
Didn't try the heat. I turned off the car as soon as I could.

Honestly I never checked. I never noticed any leaks but like I said, I had to top the coolant before. Im sure if it was leaking or had low coolant, it wouldve warned me as it did once before. Unless it all happened too fast?
Im checking out the codes, coolants, and any leaks as soon as I get home.

I really hope its not the pump but all signs lead to it.
Yea heat blowing cold air when its cranked up at its highest is a sure sign that its the water pump
Appreciate 0