E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Left Brake Lamp Malfunction

07-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Left Brake Lamp Malfunction

As the title says, my car seems to have a mind of its own regarding its left brake lamp.

In the past 7 or so months the bulb has been replaced twice. But here is the funny part, now the warning is coming and going, specifically when I open and close the trunk in a normal fashion (not slamming but a regular close.) Here's an example, yesterday after the alarm being on for about 2 weeks, I come in from the gym and viola, alarm is gone. Yet i know the next time I close my trunk, its going to pop right back up. Oh yes, the light is not out.

My gut is telling me something is loose, does anyone have any specific experiences with this as I've never really dug into the lighting system. I've had the recall done but I don't think its associated with that, however I could be wrong.

P.S. I've done a search and found a few interesting older articles but was hoping for some updated info.

P.P.S. I'm at 52,000 miles and from about 44k-50k about 5 lights burnt out, 2 day times, a right brake, and this left brake thats giving me problems. Is the life expectancy around 50k for lights?

Not a huge problem but I do like to avoid that orange triangle.

Other than that my 335 has been rock solid, a dead battery but all replaced under warrenty.

Last edited by BMV///M3; 07-18-2013 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: SLOW

What kind of bulbs are you using? I had a similar issue with a bulb that was on its way out. I replaced it and was good to go.

Maybe its the bulb holder itself? I wouldn't be surprised if that thing crapped out on you.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
BMV///M3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyMan'sBMW View Post
What kind of bulbs are you using? I had a similar issue with a bulb that was on its way out. I replaced it and was good to go.

Maybe its the bulb holder itself? I wouldn't be surprised if that thing crapped out on you.
Dealer installed the bulbs, I'm assuming factory. My SA is pretty cool, last time I drove up in the bay popped the trunk and she swapped it in about 2 minutes. I do recall reading something about the holder coming loose on other's vehilces. Can't remember where though.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV335 View Post
Dealer installed the bulbs, I'm assuming factory. My SA is pretty cool, last time I drove up in the bay popped the trunk and she swapped it in about 2 minutes. I do recall reading something about the holder coming loose on other's vehilces. Can't remember where though.
Try to get back there, unplug the wire going to the holder and plug it back in. Make sure its snug and see if that helps.

Its such a pain in the ass but I rather have little things like this go out than have big components crap out
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
BMV///M3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyMan'sBMW View Post
Try to get back there, unplug the wire going to the holder and plug it back in. Make sure its snug and see if that helps.

Its such a pain in the ass but I rather have little things like this go out than have big components crap out
I'll do that, yea little things are a nuisance. But I agree, I'd definitely have these problems as oppossed to other's. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
DLam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

try replacing the piece that all the bulbs plug into if you are prelci. thats what i did and it went away for good