E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Can someone please run a carfax/autocheck?

07-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
go2sleepe
Rep
Drives: 335i

Can someone please run a carfax/autocheck?

Thanks in advance!

WBAPL5C52BA983137
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Good luck getting someone to do it for you.

I'm not suggesting anything per se, but offering you something to consider: are you sure you should be buying a used BMW 335i if you are of a mind to ask total strangers to do for you what will cost you no more than $50? It's probably worth noting that you can do very little to/for your 335 $50, indeed, in some places, that won't even fill the gas tank or get you an oil change, to say nothing of the other things you may have to have done. Just a thought...you decide for yourself, but do be aware that the 335 is, among the 3ers, the model that will more likely need stuff fixed.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
TreyR28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Scored a 93 on auto check. 1 owner, no accident, been in Ohio its whole life.

Take this url:

http://www.nextcarrental.com/autoche...PL5C52BA983137

and change the vin to the vin number of the car you want to check. I already did it for this car but it should work for any car you want to check.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
TreyR28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post

I'm not suggesting anything per se, but offering you something to consider: are you sure you should be buying a used BMW 335i if you are of a mind to ask total strangers to do for you what will cost you no more than $50? It's probably worth noting that you can do very little to/for your 335 $50, indeed, in some places, that won't even fill the gas tank or get you an oil change, to say nothing of the other things you may have to have done. Just a thought...you decide for yourself, but do be aware that the 335 is, among the 3ers, the model that will more likely need stuff fixed.

All the best.
You have a really good point but think of the free way I showed him as a week of gas or 50$ in mods
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
go2sleepe
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thank you Trey! You the man!

And Tony, I have owned a 335i for the last 3.5 yrs and just posted it on the for sale forum that I believe you bumped. I'm not a super newbie, I just don't post that often. That was a great way to save $50 IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
yarviinn
Captain
Rep
Drives: E9TT3

Quote:

All the best.
Don't be an ass. Sometimes it's nice to not need to pay $50 to look up the history of a vehicle. What if you're interested in 10 different 335i's and you want to look up the history of each? That will bring $500 out of your own pocket, which can surely pay for many tanks of gas and/or oil changes.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

Quote:

All the best.
I'm with Tony... I think if you're going to buy a BMW you should be willing to do your own due diligence, including paying for it if necessary. As far as cost is concerned; carfax's website shows 5 reports for $49.99. That's really not bad. Another thing to note is if you're buying from a dealership, they will almost always give you the carfax report for free.

I think this is just as much about people doing their own work as it is about cost. Some people just want others to hand them things...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarviinn View Post
Don't be an ass. Sometimes it's nice to not need to pay $50 to look up the history of a vehicle. What if you're interested in 10 different 335i's and you want to look up the history of each? That will bring $500 out of your own pocket, which can surely pay for many tanks of gas and/or oil changes.
I wasn't trying to be an ass. I can do that quite well with my hands tied. LOL. I have no issue with the OP asking someone to run the CarFax for him. Nothing's lost by asking. I merely wanted to raise the point to the OP, and really only for the OP. Ultimately, I don't care what kind of car he buys. It's his money, his budget, his planning, and his decision. I was just asking a germane question in his interest, and not a question I even expect the OP to answer.

Why is it folks get so defensive when someone raises a relevant consideration that is not at all an unreasonable inference to have made based on what one read in a post here? I didn't accuse anyone of anything. The one question I asked, the OP knows the answer to. And surely you cannot deny that there are quite a few young folks on this forum who quite often don't fully consider the impact of their choices, and in many cases -- as shown by the abundance of ridiculous "should I X or Y" questions that so often appear here -- haven't any good idea of how to undertake making a good decision based on their own circumstances. (I"m not saying all such questions are ridiculous, but many are.)

I merely sought to respond to the OP in the best way I could and with his/her best interests in mind. For all I know/knew, the OP may be one who thinks these cars are as easy/cheap to own as a Honda. They aren't.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
If you can try to save money on something there's no shame in doing so. I don't think it speaks to his ability to afford a car whatsoever.

I would submit that he was being financially responsible by asking the forum for guidance; rather than blindly paying for something which might be obtained for free.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
dcho
Captain
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

tony's point is valid though. there are too many bmw's that are "modded" when they should have been left stock.
      07-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

Don't rely on someone else's autocheck, get a carfax as well especially when you're investing thousands into a vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackmamba
Don't rely on someone else's autocheck, get a carfax as well especially when you're investing thousands into a vehicle.
You can get all the check's and fax's you want. Nothing is better than a pre purchase inspection.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

Quote:

All the best.
Your not really being very nice, There is plenty of people working at dealers on forum that can run this for free as favor to another member. Ive had guy at bmw dealer on forum run my car just to see what shops ive taken it to report to carfax about service of course only the really good expensive shops have reported to carfax.
      07-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #14
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvacc View Post
You can get all the check's and fax's you want. Nothing is better than a pre purchase inspection.
I agree on that Autocheck isnt really good I THINK atleast alot of stuff isnt reported on them, In my experience carfax is most reliable about service history and accidents. But still PPI is very important specially on bmw's Id highley recommend spending the 120-200$ at bmw dealer to have it done. Its worth it.
      07-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #15
apc3libras
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [4.00]
How dare you come in here and ask high and mighty BMW owners for a free Carfax check. Come on, you're a BMW owner yourself. Would you do that for someone else who asked? No you wouldn't. BMW owners don't do that.

Sorry OP, I don't have a free check available. Good luck.
      07-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #16
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shata View Post
Your not really being very nice, There is plenty of people working at dealers on forum that can run this for free as favor to another member. Ive had guy at bmw dealer on forum run my car just to see what shops ive taken it to report to carfax about service of course only the really good expensive shops have reported to carfax.
How not "very nice" can my original post have been?

I opened my comment saying good luck and I closed it wishing the OP all the best. Is there something about my writing that inspires one to not take at face value what I wrote? I promise I am adept enough with English to know how to use cues in my writing --- punctuation, ancillary comments, etc. -- to cast a reader's perception one way or another when the words' face value doesn't really convey what I mean to say.

I'm not trying to castigate you either. I guess it's just me. I'm from the old school where one writes what one means, at least in general writing intended for a public audience, because it's very hard for readers who don't know the writer to correctly suss out the taint of one's words when veiled references lay behind them. Maybe times have changed and that's no longer de rigeuer...I do know I sometimes have trouble getting folks who work for me, several of whom are from top MBA schools, to actually produce reports and analyses that take unambiguous positions and that don't leave a ton of stuff unsaid, favoring as they do bullet points instead of complete ideas, and always leaving room to wiggle away from things that don't garner positive responses.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How not "very nice" can my original post have been?

I opened my comment saying good luck and I closed it wishing the OP all the best. Is there something about my writing that inspires one to not take at face value what I wrote? I promise I am adept enough with English to know how to use cues in my writing --- punctuation, ancillary comments, etc. -- to cast a reader's perception one way or another when the words' face value doesn't really convey what I mean to say.

I'm not trying to castigate you either. I guess it's just me. I'm from the old school where one writes what one means, at least in general writing intended for a public audience, because it's very hard for readers who don't know the writer to correctly suss out the taint of one's words when veiled references lay behind them. Maybe times have changed and that's no longer de rigeuer...I do know I sometimes have trouble getting folks who work for me, several of whom are from top MBA schools, to actually produce reports and analyses that take unambiguous positions and that don't leave a ton of stuff unsaid, favoring as they do bullet points instead of complete ideas, and always leaving room to wiggle away from things that don't garner positive responses.
Regardless of your literary prowess and mastery of the English language, your comments reek of condescension and self-importance. Perhaps you would be more persuasive with a different approach?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #18
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by go2sleepe View Post
Thank you Trey! You the man!

And Tony, I have owned a 335i for the last 3.5 yrs and just posted it on the for sale forum that I believe you bumped. I'm not a super newbie, I just don't post that often. That was a great way to save $50 IMHO.
That's cool. I didn't know I bumped your "for sale" posting. All the best in that endeavor.

I have no issue with one trying to save a few buck here and there. As I said, no harm in asking. I didn't, however, recognize you, and I didn't know if you are a newbie or not. I meant you no malice. As I said, I just wanted to raise a relevant point in the event you might have been someone new to BMW.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #19
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Regardless of your literary prowess and mastery of the English language, your comments reek of condescension and self-importance....
Indignation and incredulity are more what I feel...How can I not when I have cast no aspersion, insulted nobody and yet I'm the one being insulted? Even so, would you not become just a bit patronizing when your kind words and fairly presented facts are deemed not nice? What else is one to think but that the reader doesn't believe one has the first idea of how to communicate one's thoughts? Or that the reader simply thinks one an outright liar and that one didn't at all mean what one wrote?

So tell me, please, just how am I supposed to take a comment that I'm not very nice when plainly I had two nice things to say, and nothing negative to say to the OP?

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #20
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

Quote:
thanks captain obvious.

you did see that it was a 2011 335 right?

why would it be necessary for a ppi?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #21
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
derailed thread win (after post #3). Go E90post!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #22
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Regardless of your literary prowess and mastery of the English language, your comments reek of condescension and self-importance. Perhaps you would be more persuasive with a different approach?
Sorry but you can take that high ego college stuff somewhere else where someone cares. I know your trying to keep this argument relaxed but it initially came across like bmw douch just saying. Sorry for my English writing skills.