E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need some advice

07-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
hardtothepaint
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Need some advice

Hey guys I need some advice about my car.

I recently (last tuesday) had ran my car into a ditch. It was a pretty big ditch in a parking lot and somehow i completely missed it. It was one of those steep drainage ditches. Anyways, the car after hitting that ditch now wobbles a bit. Its extremely noticeable on slow speeds and it is only the front left driver side tire that is doing it (This tire and the back tire on the driver side went through it).There is also a lot of noise coming from that tire. I am wondering if this is an indication that my alignment is out, or if the tire is broke or even if my rim is bent. If my tire is broken, is there any way i can have it completely replaced without me paying for it (I had just had the tires change at a local BMW dealership in March).

I have contacted some local independent shops but they are extremely busy. Got an appointment in 2 weeks with one of them. Any idea about what i can do or what may be wrong? I am worried about any further damage that maybe caused by this. I drive downtown toronto and those that have been there know that there are MANY ditches and uneven roads in Toronto. I know i should stop driving it down there for now, but unfortunately, this is my ride down there. I do not have a back up car. I am thinking of taking this to a local shop to get it checked. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
dmcxii
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335is, '14 328iX

Garage List
Most likely a bent wheel, maybe a damaged tire as well. You'll probably have to pay for it (it wasn't anyone else's fault!), even if you make an insurance claim you'll hit the deductible. If you ignore it, the vibration isn't doing other suspension parts any good.

Bent wheels/broken tire belts show up at low speed. Damaged bushings etc more at high speed. Bent suspension parts show up as odd handling or tire wear.
2014 328iX - Mineral/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
hardtothepaint
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcxii View Post
Most likely a bent wheel, maybe a damaged tire as well. You'll probably have to pay for it (it wasn't anyone else's fault!), even if you make an insurance claim you'll hit the deductible. If you ignore it, the vibration isn't doing other suspension parts any good.

Bent wheels/broken tire belts show up at low speed. Damaged bushings etc more at high speed. Bent suspension parts show up as odd handling or tire wear.
Ah paying for it is not the big issue... I know it was my fault, it happens sometimes. By the wheel you mean the rim correct? Should i avoid driving it at high speeds (I.e 120km/h?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

The only true way to know is to get it on a lift. Could be a host of things or something pretty simple, but costly. Eliminate the guessing.
      07-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
hardtothepaint
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techietaichi View Post
The only true way to know is to get it on a lift. Could be a host of things or something pretty simple, but costly. Eliminate the guessing.
Ya the problem is that all the shops in my area are booked... The earliest i got was two weeks from now... I will think of something else soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #6
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: 335i Now: TTRS stage 2+

You should not mess around with this. One of three things will happen and two of them are very bad. #1 Minor problem and it gets fixed in a few weeks. #2 Moderate problem that is going to get a lot worse over the next few weeks because you continue to drive with damaged parts. #3 Major problem that is going to turn into a catastrophe. Examples of catastrophes include your wheel falling off, losing complete control of the vehicle and plowing into other objects or people and breaking down anywhere.

Take the car somewhere tomorrow. Get it on a lift and at least get it diagnosed. If it is no big deal, then wait two weeks. If it is a big deal, then park it for two weeks or get it fixed now and pay the extra bucks for the dealer to do it.

This is one of those times that it is important to be rational and do a proper risk / reward analysis. The downside to this unknown issue is very very big. I mean big in terms of potential death to you or someone else. Remember the first time you bet wrong on one of these issues, there will be no reset and no do over. It will just be over!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 02:04 AM   #7
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

Ya you never know whats wrong he is right, you dont want wheel fly off and go through someones windshield. Just saying... I definitely wouldn't take it on speed of 120kph lol.
      07-16-2013, 02:11 AM   #8
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
I suggest finding a shop with a free diagnostics. It could be a number of things, maybe something slightly bent. Just make sure you take a look at it yourself and they don't just throw you a list of damages that are possibly fake. Like that one guy said, only way you'll find out is by getting it on a lift.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
hardtothepaint
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks guys for the input. I am getting the car diagnosed tomorrow at a shop. So I will let you guys know what happens. Hopefully no tires flying off and no major damage.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: 335i Now: TTRS stage 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtothepaint View Post
Thanks guys for the input. I am getting the car diagnosed tomorrow at a shop. So I will let you guys know what happens. Hopefully no tires flying off and no major damage.
Good choice! When it comes to suspension issue, they are very important to address right away. If my engine blew up at 70 MPH, I would be pissed and probably have to clean my seat, but I would not be hurt. If something really bad happened to any part of my suspension, then all bets are off!
Appreciate 0