E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cold cranking cycles

07-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
redz06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

Cold cranking cycles

2011 335i sedan here, 29000 miles. Last winter (but not so cold in Houston, TX) my car exhibited long cranking cycles in the morning. Typically this would be at temperatures between 35 and 50 degF, so not so cold for most of you. Once the engine started, it ran totally normally. When we got into spring and summer, the long cranking cycles totally went away and it starts right up.

Never has the car ran abnormally or shown any alarms, error messages, half engines, etc. I mentioned it to my dealer and he wants to run diagnostics on the car at my cost during the next oil and filter change. I think this is $210, although I do not understand why I would pay a penny during factory warranty. I think I could be wasting my money since the issue has not shown itself in the last 4 months. What do you think? What could cause this other than the dreaded HPFP?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
I think it's just cold temperatures.

I experienced the same thing living up here in Wisconsin and I think it's safe to say that we get much colder temperatures up here than you do down in Texas. Granted, I got my car in early March, so I didn't have the car during the coldest parts of the winter, but it still easily saw the temperatures you're stating if not lower. Heck, the second day I had it, the car was driven in a snow storm.

In any case, I had my car looked at for the same reason. It seemed to take longer to crank and start. The dealership couldn't find anything wrong. I wouldn't worry too much to be honest. As you said, the problem goes away as outside ambient temperatures increased too, so my guess is it's just the cold. I can't guarantee that's it, but that's my read on it.
      07-16-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: 335i Now: TTRS stage 2+

Your battery is probably weakening with age. Have the battery tested at Autozone or Discount Tire. If it were me, I would swap the battery either now or wait until late fall.

Batteries do not do well in extreme heat or extreme cold. Houston summers are what kills batteries, but it is a slow death and it usually takes its dying breath during the first cold snap of the season (you know December or January around here).
Appreciate 0