E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Segment Timing Tooth Error

07-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Segment Timing Tooth Error

So about three weeks ago I went to start my car and it would crank but not start. It was in a parking lot so I left it overnight, came back the next day to scan it and the code "segment timing tooth error crankshaft sensor" came up. I cleared it and the car started right up. I drive it around for about 2 weeks and ordered a crank sensor for when it decided to permanently fail to start. That time came last weekend so I went about changing the crank sensor, cleared the codes and the car started right up but this time with rough idle and misfiring. I figured I Miswired one of those gazillion sensors on the disa intake so I checked and verified then went to start the car and it cranked but no start. Same as before with an accompanying segment timing code again. I'm really confused here, could this be an actual timing problem like my chain jumped? I doubted that because it ran just fine for 2 weeks but at this point I just have no idea. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

I did a compression test today and this is what I got:

1. 16
2. 16
3. 16
4. 15
5. 16.6
6. 16.7

Am I right in assuming that if the valve timing was off there would be more significant compression differences between cylinders or is this only if valves had been damaged? Could I have bad timing and still come up with these results?
Appreciate 0